The Color of the End: Mission in the Apocalypse - Ch. 22 - Assault

Dex-chan lover
Looks like It kills itself whenever it on the verge of death. Perhaps this is a way of it to go into hibernation mode to heal itself whenever it sustain heave injuries (or just to save energy when there are no prey), then wake up again after some time later.

Supporter
Bro this artist has no weakness. Background, setting, mech design, character design, paneling, and now even action sequences that look amazing
While the art is really good, the writing has a couple of shortcomings. The episodic nature and vast bleak setting prevents a large overarching narrative from growing. Maybe a mystery element about where the nasties came from, or a small blossom of hope for the future, or finding a sanctuary to leave the kids in, but nothing ultimately consequential for the main character. She has the eternal task of burning every corpse. Anything that cuts that mission short would feel like a cop-out.
The bleak setting (and lack of self interested people) also means the atmosphere and lessons to be learnt from each episode are much more limited compared to the variety within other travelling stories like Kino’s Journey. Also no Hermes banter.

While the art is really good, the writing has a couple of shortcomings. The episodic nature and vast bleak setting prevents a large overarching narrative from growing. Maybe a mystery element about where the nasties came from, or a small blossom of hope for the future, or finding a sanctuary to leave the kids in, but nothing ultimately consequential for the main character. She has the eternal task of burning every corpse. Anything that cuts that mission short would feel like a cop-out.
The bleak setting (and lack of self interested people) also means the atmosphere and lessons to be learnt from each episode are much more limited compared to the variety within other travelling stories like Kino’s Journey. Also no Hermes banter.
I feel the same way about similar settings in other stories, like Girls' Last Tour.

While my gut reaction is that the knight executioner was a person who's protecting the graves, is it possible that it's an android/cyborg situation? Maybe a precursor to Saya that ended up vulnerable to the miasma?

Dex-chan lover
It really is a Kumeleon gun, gunblades are inherently cool.

The executioner design is really cool too, I don't frequently see designs that implement such details as having two arms on the same side to use a compound weapon like that, and the shield opening like a mouth to absorb energy was an really fun detail, instead of simply absorbing the energy, it "ate" it.

Another fun thing is how the design of the swords leads you to see that there may be a trick to it.

I looked at the cover page and found the design of the "crossguard" a little off from the rest of the weapon, but thought at first it was just a design choice by the author, and in the end... my instinct was right I just wasn't able to decipher why, really smart use of visual storytelling.

The fights in this manga are really good, they are few in between but when they hit... they H I T.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread