Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! - Vol. 14 Ch. 67 - Because I Am Your Older Sister

My impression is that Kanoko's main issue here is that she really doesn't have a framework for close friendship outside of 'girlfriend' or 'lovers'. What she seems to want most, and is struggling to define in a context outside of a relationship, is to repay the kind of close support that Sumika gave her after Goeidou assaulted her.

I think part of why she keeps calling Sumika an 'idiot' is partly because Sumika keeps rushing to put herself into a self-sacrificing role, while cutting off any opportunity for Kanoko to explain herself. Notice on both page 3 and to a lesser extent on page 16, Kanoko gets pretty quickly cut off while Sumika redirects the conversation towards romance. To an extent, Sumika is even denying that Kanoko could like her ("I knew it would never be directed towards me") when Kanoko has given her the kind of smile she had been directing towards Hime on multiple occasions.

All this said, Sumika is well within her rights to try to limit her relationship with Kanoko because it's obviously painful to her to be close right now. She just hasn't communicated that well, and keeps talking about being there to support Kanoko in her relationship with Hime going forward.
I agree that Sumika wants to step aside of kanokos path toards Hime, even if there is a bit of love in Kanoko directed towards her. But I think that sumika does this as a way to repay her of what in her eyes was always a one sided relationship. Sumika doesn't give herself the "right" to be with kanoko since the only reason Kanoko was ever her girlfriend was so she could get support on her quest for Hime's heart. God save Sumika 🙏. Btw once again thank you for your work ecwarriorz ❤️ one that we will repay you.

Its something to see kaneko moving forward. She has a weird personality but i like her as a character

Like if u look at her from the perspective of studying why she does things the way she does its kind of fascinating.

She is a character who has somehow ended up ruining her personality in order to run away from her feelings and putting her own wellbeing in front of not just others feelings but even HER OWN FEELINGS, a coward born from the thought that her friendship with hina would be ruined the second she revealed her feelings and would have higher chance of going AWOL on her because of how she thins hina would stop talking to her when she realises that she is a lesbian

Best description would be

WHEN SOMEONE WHO THINKS GAY PEOPLE ARE WIERD FINDS HERSELF TO BE GAY AND HAS NOW ACQUIRED THE STAT 'SELF HATE' AND ENDS UP FEARING REJECTION SO MUCH THAT NOW SHE CANNOT HELP BUT HURT PEOPLE AROUND HER AND HERSELF WHILE SHE TRIES TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO HANDLE HER SANITY

Finally something to see something other than cute fluff(i like that but
SOMETIMES YOU WANT TO SEE SOMETHING ELSE COS WHY NOT)

STILL BETTER THAN RENT SOME IDIOTS

Dex-chan lover
I definitely get why people who have been following this manga as it releases are frustrated at Kanoko after this Sumika x Kanako arc has effectively gone on for over two years now, but as someone who only just now read through the manga I have a very different perspective on all of this. And since this chapter is a couple weeks old at this point, it feels like a bit of a waste to post something about it here, but I guess I'll just have to make another post whenever the next chapter comes out.

Kanako has definitely grown to love Sumika, just not in the same way she loves Hime, or in the way Sumika loves her (though I do think in the latter case the love is pretty similar). This manga has been exploring two things in this arc: different ways people feel love (both how different people can feel love differently, and how one person can feel love differently towards more than one person), and the ways in which expressing your love can feel gratifying. Sumika summed up her own relationship with the latter point a few chapters ago in the park date, when she said she helps people just because she wants to and it makes her happy to see other people happy. Kanoko, however, expresses her love through a form of reciprocity; both Hime and Sumika first reached out to her, and so it makes her want to support them back. But since Sumika's feelings are all about giving in the first place, she has a bit of a hard time feeling the need to accept someone else's feelings. There isn't really that much she's been shown to want EXCEPT to give to others. But that leaves Kanako unsatisfied, because another theme this manga has been playing with without explicitly stating is that there's always a selfish aspect to love, and that it isn't necessarily a bad thing. (But of course it can be a bad thing, as personified by Goeidou.)

Additionally, Kanako coming to love Sumika in addition to Hime is a thematic mirror to the fact that both Kanako and Yano love Hime, and a prelude to how Hime's going to have to deal with that in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread