[Mainsite] Website keeps losing login. (Chrome)

I leave pages open when I am reading long manga. If I leave one open overnight, I often find that I am no longer logged in. This usually shows up when I hit the end of chapters and jump to the manga page, only to find out it hasn't tracked all the chapters I have read.

Solution
This is still happening to me, and at a typical rate of which seems to be every 30 minutes while I'm using the site, active or idle, mobile or desktop, regardless of browser, with and without a VPN, on every network I use. It is really damn annoying and has still been going on for months.
It's gotten WAY worse in the last week. I can't even finish a chapter before getting logged out anymore. I have to refresh my browser to renew my logon and manually click read after each chapter now.
We had an issue around two weeks ago with caching that would cause login sessions to last under an hour and fail to refresh, try manually clearing all existing cache/site data for MD because you might still have remnants of that lying...
I find on mobile the 2fa token will expire faster than on desktop PC I suspect it is by design or due to cookies or the mobile app updates

Dex-chan lover
Not just chrome, but Firefox too.
If I leave my tabs for several hours, I don't stay signed in. Then it ends up opening the next chapter without my account tracking my progress.

Depending on how long it has been, I will either have to:
  1. hit refresh,
  2. hit refresh and then the sign in button,
  3. hit refresh, the sign in button, and put my password in again. (so much for checking the "remember me" box)
The interesting thing is that I can be signed in in one tab while another tab continues to stay signed out until I hard refresh or press the sign in button there too.
Quite frustrating.

Last edited:
Another funny thing is, I'm being logged out from Mangadex main website now and then both on my mobile Firefox, desktop Firefox and also Android WebView inside Tachiyomi, but that never happens with Mangadex Forums.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
We had two issues with Keycloak logging out large chunks of people in the past 48hr, and we're still trying to figure out why it's doing that.

Aggregator gang
Another Firefox user added then and it's not logging me out after a period of inactivity, but right when I am actively reading. To skip the need to click twice I use the browser's Back button to go back to my Updates page after reading a chapter and I get logged out, then try logging back in and the login is successfull, but the redirect after is taking a long time.

Dex-chan lover
I got logged out and had to log back in just now. My username was typed in but my password wasn't, and the "remember me" option was already checked. (I'm using Chrome btw)
Also sometimes I get logged out when I put my laptop into sleep mode and come back, but that gets solved when I just refresh

Dex-chan lover
FF 113B1 too, not that browser matters seeing all the others having the same behavior - clicked on my Follows just now and had to log in again.

MD@Home
And one more voice use the build option on android phone manage to got log out after 2h without checking sometime just licking my screen log me out i try all the identification option but keep getting this

Dex-chan lover
Iphone user here. Safari browser also suffer by random logout out of nowhere like RKO. Also MANY of my “subscribed” manga that should notify me about new update/chapter not working

Dex-chan lover
Just an FYI for anyone running into this: Until it's fixed, a good way to catch this early (thus preventing too much lost progress as far as chapter tracking goes) is to check the icon for your account dropdown in the top right corner. When the issue happens, it'll show the black/dark grey guest user icon instead of the MD cat icon.

If you're on the series info page instead of the reader, a couple of other symptoms to look out for are the read/not read eye symbols next to the chapter names being missing (it'll still show the little blue highlight on unread chapters, it's just that the eye icons are missing), and sometimes you'll get some sort of "lost communication with the reCaptcha server" text (I can't remember the exact text, and I'm not about to wait for the issue to occur so I can copy it) that goes across the bottom of the info area (roughly where the Alternative Titles section is). Said text is a single line that overruns the left side of the page (cutting of most of the beginning of the text), a clear indication that it doesn't really have any sort of container or formatting applied to it.

If you see any of these, then the issue has almost certainly occurred and you should refresh the page to fix it. Refreshing the page is usually enough, though sometimes in my experience it asks you to log in again (I've never run into it needing the password to be manually re-entered). Of note, it specifically has to be a refresh. Navigating to other pages does not resolve the issue.
Also of note is that, once this happens to one of your tabs, it's going to happen to all the tabs you have open since it appears it's session based and not just tab based.

Dex-chan lover
This is still happening to me, and at a typical rate of which seems to be every 30 minutes while I'm using the site, active or idle, mobile or desktop, regardless of browser, with and without a VPN, on every network I use. It is really damn annoying and has still been going on for months.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
It's gotten WAY worse in the last week. I can't even finish a chapter before getting logged out anymore. I have to refresh my browser to renew my logon and manually click read after each chapter now.

Users who are viewing this thread