What do all the positions in a group do?

I want to know what everyone does! I was always curious, is there also any way to learn these positions? Thank you!
Stay healthy!
-The Scummiest Pirate

Group Leader
My main position is Typesetter ☆ Mainly focuses on placing text on the pages itself (• ε •)
When I first started out, my typesetting was terrible!
What made me improve was just reading manga and seeing how they did things.
Like font size, and design, and fonts, and gradients. Then constant practice helps too!

Group Leader
depends on each group.

for example the group I'm in has a different meaning for Quality Checker than the one I managed 10 years ago. The group I managed 10 years ago, QC was to only check for grammar.

The Quality Checker in the current group I help is a sort of jack-of-all-trades. They are able to fix dialogue grammar and sentence and tone, align dialogues to make it look nicer (Translators already typeset the chapters), put in proper SFX if needed (it helps I do Chinese webtoons, less fancy sfx), and fix minor cleaning issues. Basically what it says on the tin. To check for quality.

there's also Compiler, you grab the raws from websites (they're usually in short pieces separated at weird as positions) and stitch them together into long page so the cleaner/redrawers and translators would be able to edit chapters easily. Nowadays, it's semi-automated so I am no longer needed to help grab things.

I'm....an old hat. so my position now is everything except Translating

previously everything I learnt was from a website that had everything you needed to know about cleaning and typesetting called senbonzakura kageyoshi. You can only find it via waybackmachine still. There are other tutorials but this one was my fave.

Power Uploader
https://www.reddit.com/r/ScanlationSchool/comments/bbfgvs/scanlation_school_discord_server/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Group Leader
@pandascepter

Hahahaha. yeah. it was that long ago eh. wasn't doing anything but QC and forum moderator tho at that time.
And keeping track of emails was a pain in the behind. not to mention timezones and getting buzzed on Yahoo Messenger at 3am. 🤣🤣🤣fun times.

Group Leader
Generally:

Raw Compiler: Converts pages of the original manga/manhwa/manhua/e.t.c. into files such as .png or .jpeg...if that makes sense hahahha.

Translator: Translates any language to English whilst retaining meaning of original language.

Proofreader: Reads over the translations. They correct the translations to follow English syntax and enforces readability/fluidity of translation of dialogue e.t.c.

Cleaner: Improves raw page quality via denoising, levelling and more. Can "clean" bubbles (use a brush and draw over the text in bubbles). Some groups consider "cleaners" the same as "redrawers".

Redrawers: Draws back original image that has been covered by text, such as watermarks or sound effects.

Typesetter: prints/typesets proofread translation into the cleaned/redrawn pages. They follow particular rules when typesetting. If you want the details, you can go to Scanlation School on Discord.

Editor: Are both redrawers and typesetters.

Quality Checker/Quality Control: Before uploading, they go through all the pages and enhances quality of scanlation by correcting mistakes that were caused by all the other roles. Like that junna said, they're the jack of all trades.

I probably repeated what everyone else said above lmaooo.

Users who are viewing this thread