What Do You Call This Trash - Vol. 2 Ch. 30.5 - The Nagano Family on January 2

Group Leader
Hello, everyone! I've returned for a Twitter short/extra!

Of course, I'm going to ask you to buy the volumes (Volume 1, Volume 2). It's my only way of repentance after scanlating this entire series into English.

On to the notes:
  • The title is as Tetsukazu-sensei wrote it. "Nagano Family" removes confusion between Kai and Yuuto's families, as they are both have "Konatsu" as last name.
  • (p. 2) It's a tradition in many East Asian cultures to give money to nieces and nephews when the new year rolls in. This gift is called otoshidama (おとしだま;お年玉), and it's wrapped in a white (red, in China and other Chinese cultures) envelope called the otoshidama-bukuro (おとしだまぶくろ;お年玉袋).
  • (p. 2) Yuuto did not age well... What happened to his hair...
  • (p. 3) Tooru refers to herself in third person. This is a normal child thing.
  • (p. 3) Tooru being in 1st grade makes her 6–7 years old, Natsu being in 3rd grade makes him 8–9 years old.
  • Class Prez and Yuuto baby confirmed??? We really won.

I just checked, and the Pixiv Comic version adds official Furigana for Class Prez, which is... drumroll... "Takigawa"! My gamble was spot on! I also realized I never went deep into the names of the characters. Here's a handy-dandy graphic showing their translated names, offical readings, and their meanings. This is a rom-com, so some of these are actually jokes in and of themselves, and some have some deeper meaning.

YsJP18s.png

• Yuuto means "kind person". In this case, to a fault. Chapter 4 monopolized on this by adding a name joke.
  • Kai means "world"; it's the "kai" part in "sekai" (世界). The story revolves around him, and so do the lives of three people, so the name is fitting.
  • Natsu and Tooru have seasons in their names. Usually, this means they were born in that season.
  • Akira's family name is "Ebiguchi" and I swear I'm not making that up, nor am I making up the fact that her family name is literally "shrimp mouth".

Also noting here for the record; I won't be adding volume numbers to the chapters. They don't use the volume art (which is another reason why you should buy it!!! It has improved art!!!) and I don't plan on re-cleaning all those pages. Unless I'm required to by site policy or something; I don't really mind either way.

P.S. Minor wording was changed in the final chapter (Ch. 30) post-publish. I updated the chapter; have a look when you can.

That's it from me for now. I'll go back to working on more wholesome romance manga now... See you around!

Group Leader
Page 3 has a mistake... The center bubble in the third panel should say "Natsu", not "Yuuto"... I got too confused with names... :haa:

Will patch it up in a sec.

EDIT: Fixed. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Contributor
What a pleasant surprise to see more from this after the ending.

So the title was simply meant to disambiguate Kai and Yuuto's families? Going into this chapter I was somehow convinced that Kai ended up taking his wife's surname (that would be an interesting choice, but Shion isn't really from a prestigious family). Then again, that would kill the wordplay that their first child is named Konatsu Natsu... So Natsu is a boy, and he got a younger sister named Tooru. Natsu still doesn't like his dad (poor Kai) so I hope Tooru likes her papa more to make up for that. But we only see her taking comfort in mama Shion's lap.

I will not ignore the detail that Yuuto has just become a dad. :meguupog:
We did not see who is the mother nor learn the name of the baby, but I would like to believe that Class Prez is still the winner.

Thank you for the translation and a Happy New Year to you too!

Supporter
Thanks for the new chapter, going to buy the two volumes first chance I get.

Contributor
I don't think the Japanese-given English title being what it is is a coincidence.

Double-page supporter
While I wish to know if Kai and Shion have any kind of relationship with Akira (it would be funny to know if they would let her anywhere near their kids or if they are on good terms after all those years), it's nice to see Kai having a healthy family that he deserves and trying to be the father he didn't have.
But I won't forgive the author for still not showing Class Prez after timeskip.

Again, thanks for the translations!

Fed-Kun's army
This is beyond me, why would you make FL not win and switch her up with a rando
Sad times

Dex-chan lover
They were taking part in an unarmed insurrection to overthrow the government with the largest military on Earth. Worse than 9/11 and Pearl Harbor obviously and definitely not another government orchestrated false flag event
I can't believe they would paint a simple holiday celebration like that.

But where were they on January 6th? 🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread