What is your most hated trope in manga right now?

Dex-chan lover
As title, whats your most hated trope in manga right now?

For me it's defo gotta be having the love interests being slaves and keeping them as slaves especially when they become lovers....

It's just feels so wrong and feels out of character "Oh I love you.... your still being my slave though screw giving you freedom."

Contributor
Time traveling to the past BUT MC still remember all the events of everyday life, yeah :) 👌

MC talking like "oh I didn't tell you before but this event will happen"
and 3 days after, MC "this stuff gonna happen but yeah I didn't want to tell you (the reader)"

awful stories...

Dex-chan lover
Time traveling to the past BUT MC still remember all the events of everyday life, yeah :) 👌

MC talking like "oh I didn't tell you before but this event will happen"
and 3 days after, MC "this stuff gonna happen but yeah I didn't want to tell you (the reader)"

awful stories...
That is in my top 3 hated for sure, "I've lived in this world (Or restarted timeline) for 16 years but I totes remember everything that happened when I reincarnated/time travelled with perfect memory) and then you get series that try to be like "Well we'll give the MC a throw away line they have picture perfect memory so she's all good" then forget that detail for the rest of the series.

Oh and nearly forgot also that changing the timeline would severlly change the events too cause you know butterfly effect and all that jazz.

Dex-chan lover
Apart from the slave lover, its 10/10 overpowered magical beast encounter turned into mc's pet (mc is overpowered/cheat mode already too).These 2 probably made me drop a series if shit happens in 2-3 chapters.I am probably still reading some of these titles though but its all long ago so I just get reminded when the usual shit happen yet again.

Dex-chan lover
Overpowered MC without or weak story progress or world building. Mostly in Isekai, I'm not hate Isekai like that, but with overpowered MC, I need to be doubtful.

Usually we like MC or leads because how they're struggling and overcome their weakness. On the other hands we like overpowered MC because "a hero always comes the least" (ex One Punch Man), there's always a plot before the MC showed up so we can hate the villain and hoping that MC will put the villain to justice.

But Overpowered MC without progress is so blatant and empty. Not to mention when Isekai was booming most of them is skipping the world building. Imagine playing game with god mode and cheat skills, it might be fun, but just for the player, not the viewers.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
idk how else to explain this but, characters that talk like they just read a wikipedia article about something / they go into super detail that feels super unnatural

It's like in action manga or something where the character explains some power with something they obviously did research on, and it's just dumped on the page, everything is explained in mindnumbingly-dull specific detail.

a made up example would be "The reason the ice power is working is because of the human's natural pores in the skin under the blah blah blah blah"

Dex-chan lover
idk how else to explain this but, characters that talk like they just read a wikipedia article about something / they go into super detail that feels super unnatural

It's like in action manga or something where the character explains some power with something they obviously did research on, and it's just dumped on the page, everything is explained in mindnumbingly-dull specific detail.

a made up example would be "The reason the ice power is working is because of the human's natural pores in the skin under the blah blah blah blah"
Like many isekai where the character in detail explains the process to make paper and the tools needed as if they were experts in it and have a photographic memory of the schematics?

Dex-chan lover
The whole "I died and reincarnated but also brought along memories and perversions" trope. This works in Mushoku Tensei because it's integral to his growth as a character, it has a purpose and a reason in that "god" likes screwing with him and seeing what he does so letting him keep memories is natural.

Your brain and your consciousness are different. Your brain stores your consciousness, your brain stores your kinks, your brain stores your likes and dislikes and your personality. Your consciousness is simply your awareness of the world around you. Again, it works in something like Mushoku Tensei because we have an active force likely interfering and even if he isn't, it can be forgiven because it does play a part in the personal story and growth of the character. Other manga just use the "I was a japanese worker" because it's easier to set a backstory.

What makes it even worse is that this backstory makes no difference to the story or character. They never think "Oh gee I died suddenly, I hope mom is ok!" or anything like that, it's just "Oh snap I'm dead, time to make a harm!"

Like, they were a person BEFORE they died right? Even average people have friends and family, like come on man.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second most hated trope is Harems, for several reasons.

1. They're dumb.

Most people have enough of a hard time dealing with 1 lover, let alone several.

2. They're misused.

Historically, harems have never really been happy relationships for anyone other than the guy (AND THAT'S ONLY SOMETIMES!). They're typically full of backbiting, treachery, deception, jealousy, spite and outright hate. Real life harems are VICIOUS for a simple reason. The women want the guy, not each other. They want the man's heart so they'll do whatever it takes to get it and this would often lead to, in no uncertain terms, outright murder and assassination attempts. Harem women are absolutely RUTHLESS. Then imagine being the guy in that situation, where you have to make sure every woman you've slept with isn't trying to kill the other or manipulate you for favor. These were terrible situations all around.

Even if we ignored all of that, the guy usually ends up picking only like one or two women in the whole harem to be truly affectionate with anyway so it's not even like he benefits by having a large group of women around him, he's just horny and greedy.

These tropes ARE NOT for power fantasies, they're for political intrigue and drama because don't think that these women didn't have their own internal political groups against each other. Holy hell did they ever.

3. They're made of dumb tropes.

I think we all know by now, but the women in these harems are tropes and not characters. Like, to the Nth degree.

4. They're pointless.

We all know who the MC is gonna end up with, and it's gonna be the most milquetoast one of them because Japanese people have as much variation as a perfect circle.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
When the mangaka goes to such lengths to not draw the mc's parents' faces. The panel structure ends up looking weird and it becomes distracting. (Does this count as a trope? It's just been really bothering me, lol)
An example I can think of is Sukinako ga megane wo wasureta.
I can at least understand when some manga don't show the mc's face so that the reader can self-insert more easily (though I don't like that either) But why hide the parents' faces?

Dex-chan lover
Like many isekai where the character in detail explains the process to make paper and the tools needed as if they were experts in it and have a photographic memory of the schematics?
something like that. But it doesnt have to be about Isekai.
Any manga with someone with a hobby as the central focus of the manga, and they:ll go into boring detail.

The whole "I died and reincarnated but also brought along memories and perversions" trope. This works in Mushoku Tensei because it's integral to his growth as a character, it has a purpose and a reason in that "god" likes screwing with him and seeing what he does so letting him keep memories is natural.

Your brain and your consciousness are different. Your brain stores your consciousness, your brain stores your kinks, your brain stores your likes and dislikes and your personality. Your consciousness is simply your awareness of the world around you. Again, it works in something like Mushoku Tensei because we have an active force likely interfering and even if he isn't, it can be forgiven because it does play a part in the personal story and growth of the character. Other manga just use the "I was a japanese worker" because it's easier to set a backstory.

What makes it even worse is that this backstory makes no difference to the story or character. They never think "Oh gee I died suddenly, I hope mom is ok!" or anything like that, it's just "Oh snap I'm dead, time to make a harm!"

Like, they were a person BEFORE they died right? Even average people have friends and family, like come on man.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second most hated trope is Harems, for several reasons.

1. They're dumb.

Most people have enough of a hard time dealing with 1 lover, let alone several.

2. They're misused.

Historically, harems have never really been happy relationships for anyone other than the guy (AND THAT'S ONLY SOMETIMES!). They're typically full of backbiting, treachery, deception, jealousy, spite and outright hate. Real life harems are VICIOUS for a simple reason. The women want the guy, not each other. They want the man's heart so they'll do whatever it takes to get it and this would often lead to, in no uncertain terms, outright murder and assassination attempts. Harem women are absolutely RUTHLESS. Then imagine being the guy in that situation, where you have to make sure every woman you've slept with isn't trying to kill the other or manipulate you for favor. These were terrible situations all around.

Even if we ignored all of that, the guy usually ends up picking only like one or two women in the whole harem to be truly affectionate with anyway so it's not even like he benefits by having a large group of women around him, he's just horny and greedy.

These tropes ARE NOT for power fantasies, they're for political intrigue and drama because don't think that these women didn't have their own internal political groups against each other. Holy hell did they ever.

3. They're made of dumb tropes.

I think we all know by now, but the women in these harems are tropes and not characters. Like, to the Nth degree.

4. They're pointless.

We all know who the MC is gonna end up with, and it's gonna be the most milquetoast one of them because Japanese people have as much variation as a perfect circle.
Tbh, most of the recent harem are like that but there are some good harems out there.

The world God only knows and love collage although both are pretty old manga.

Harems manga nowadays are more like a subplot or just a fan service in general

Fed-Kun's army
Probably this is more of a romance manga trope I hate but it’s unnecessary drama between MC and Main Love Interest that’ll result in them not talking for like 15 chapters while 2nd Girl tries to swooce in and talk to the MC in those 15 chapters.

Shonen trope I hate the most is probably having an extremely powerful ally character getting taken out/killed/decommissioned so it shows how serious the series has gotten. You saw it with Bleach and the death of Captain Yama, Black Clover with the death/rebirth of Julius and JJK with the imprisonment of Gojo. I get the author wrote themselves into a corner by introducing a powerful character that everyone can say “oh they can take care of the current BBEG” but killing them in a bullshit way/sealing them away/stripping them of their powers isn’t a good way to show off how serious the series got.

Dex-chan lover
Tbh, most of the recent harem are like that but there are some good harems out there.

The world God only knows and love collage although both are pretty old manga.

Harems manga nowadays are more like a subplot or just a fan service in general
Man you hit me with a right hook on The World God Only Knows, haven't thought about that manga in years.

Dex-chan lover
while 2nd Girl tries to swooce in and talk to the MC in those 15 chapters.
Somebody's gotta feast on the scraps. The harem is a delicate ecosystem.

Shonen trope I hate the most is probably having an extremely powerful ally character getting taken out/killed/decommissioned so it shows how serious the series has gotten. You saw it with Bleach and the death of Captain Yama, Black Clover with the death/rebirth of Julius and JJK with the imprisonment of Gojo. I get the author wrote themselves into a corner by introducing a powerful character that everyone can say “oh they can take care of the current BBEG” but killing them in a bullshit way/sealing them away/stripping them of their powers isn’t a good way to show off how serious the series got.
On this note, killing characters at the start of arcs just for the sake of proving that the new villain means srs bsns nao is always a cheap shot I greatly dislike. It's only matched in annoyance by its mirror trope, the "defeated villain gets to join ever-increasing Greek Chorus of groupies and ex-villains that comment endlessly on the Hero's latest fight, while doing nothing themselves".

Last edited:
Contributor
Something i hate with all my being, it's for rom-com manga, the "perfect school-idol type".

You know, the most beautiful girl in the school (sometime even in the country, bcz why not), with perfect grades, good at everything who like the (loser) mc for no reason ?

It come with the worst thing, like MC being chased by others guys because he talk with the girl, etc... i really want to throw the story in the garbage can when i see this.

Dex-chan lover
Something i hate with all my being, it's for rom-com manga, the "perfect school-idol type".

You know, the most beautiful girl in the school (sometime even in the country, bcz why not), with perfect grades, good at everything who like the (loser) mc for no reason ?

It come with the worst thing, like MC being chased by others guys because he talk with the girl, etc... i really want to throw the story in the garbage can when i see this.
While not trope part, I hate rom-coms that have no progression until the axe hits.

Users who are viewing this thread