What was the last thing that made you drop a series (for whatever reason)?

Dex-chan lover
What was the last thing that made you drop a series (for whatever reason)? anything from you didnt like the animation, or it got bad, or external reasons: like you were in a bad place or something of the sort.

For me, the last show I dropped was for external reasons, It was Inuyashiki and Gleipnir *for the same reason*. I read the manga and loved it and enjoyed the anime. It wasn't until some really questionable "translating" from CR (or whatever shit company they hired) that made me drop it.

Once I can detect a mistranslation, it makes me question how accurate the rest of it is. Am I getting the full story from the creators, or am I getting what some dude wishes they would say.

For Inuyashiki, I believe it was police station scene, where the MV goes and wrecks house. One of the cops clearly calls for Handcuffs when grabbing the MV. He is clearly screaming "Wappa" 「ワッパ」 repeatedly. which is police slang for handcuffs, but I wouldnt blame the person translating this for not doing 2 seconds of research. It's obscure enough that just googling ワッパ itself doesnt bring you any images of handcuffs. you have to add the search of Police.
hqdefault.jpg
e5f11a5ce65be92e4fc7cd67a64bef12.png

Instead, they translated "handcuffs" as " OH MY GOD HE'S KILLING ME" almost, if not a completely different message is being conveid here.

As for Gleipnir, same thing. It was at the end of the first episode. Some person busted in and a fight happened. They are apprehended and questioned. She says in Japanese. "You aren't my enemies" or 「私の敵じゃない」but instead they decided "I'll rip you apart!" sounded more "bad-ass" instead of conveying that she might be there for other reasons.
c9d2316c050156c1346b8a809fd4d17e.png
45a1cdc3fe09458707867303394f78e2.jpg

this is usually way im against supporting "offical" releases, as people who do this as a hobby or have passion for it, generally do things correctly, and have investment in what they are translating.

Dex-chan lover
I don't drop series usually because if something becomes a shit show, I usually go to laugh at it, but I will never let Quintuplets rest for how shitty its ending was and how it betrayed the core themes of the work up to that point.

The only people who like it are the people who side with the winner of the waifu wars, not realizing that how it got there was really, really shit and didn't make sense from a character standpoint and lacked a lot of development

Group Leader
nah m8, when i'm disappointed with the series, i wouldn't drop it, because i already wathced it and even if it's a trash, i'll still watch it.

@dsid2814
Its just a trivial thingy and just enjoy the show man.
Gleipnir's animation is a good one. I mean would you look at this, its my shit man.
tenor.gif

edit : oh yeah, i might be dropping some anime or series or movie, maybe its because i paused it for a dinner and then i'll probably forget about that show.
received_334480331164669.gif

Group Leader
What was the last thing that made you drop a series (for whatever reason)?
Since I'm a fairly consistent person so my reason's been the same for the past couple of years... lack of time

QcmOJuh.jpg

Dex-chan lover
I don't really drop anime specifically. If there's an anime that I lose interest in but I've already started, I'll watch until the end of the season (assuming it has more than one season).

I was pretty close to dropping Uzaki-chan (the anime adaptation) though. I'm glad it got an adaptation, but I don't find the anime's comedic timing and delivery to be nearly as good as the manga.

Dex-chan lover
@pandascepter yeah innacuracies in officially subbed anime that people pay for, yeah 100% just a trivial thing. You think bugs in bethesda games are a "feature" aren't ya

Group Leader
@dsid2814
i can't argue with that, but all i can say is being a translator is hard.

You know, like deadline pressure.

i don't know about this, but aren't they usually going to fixed it asap? Like early release is fast but it may contain some mistranslation and they'll gonna fix it.

Dex-chan lover
I dropped Made in Abyss on account of the author being a pedo and additionally the extent to which he lets that infect his writing. Tried really hard to ignore it because the story is interesting, but seeing the previews for the Bondrewd movie and the clip of reg tied up in that bondage chair animated kind of just flipped a switch in my head where I couldn’t enjoy it anymore.

Also dropped Shield Hero with only a few episodes left. It’s like, the more the dude builds a harem, the worse the series gets with each additional “love interest” added? ( I feel like I may cut Re:Zero soon because of the same phenomenon) I liked Firo and Raphtalia but as the series went on, it’s like their personalities began to dissolve. And all they would do is talk about, to, or defend Naofumi, as if they had nothing else going on in their inner lives. Maybe the shield actually DID have brainwashing powers.

This is also the reason I couldn’t handle watching Overlord after a certain point. When characters aren’t there to do anything except shower the lead character with praise, it gets weird. Obsessive, unconditional love is such a staple of power fantasies but its really sad and bizarre to me. Like, What’s missing in your life that you wrote this? If I met people that behaved outwardly like that in the real world I’d be suspicious af and expect them to steal my organs or ask me to join an MLM or cult.

Dex-chan lover
@gum_rummy I have similar opinion as that about Danmachi. It's just so....so bad. The only reason I'm following it is so I'm in the loop. But as to the series you mentioned, I've seen the Made in Abyss anime, really enjoyed it- that thing about the author though, I never knew that. I'll have to look into it a bit more. As a series, from what I've seen, I haven't noticed any particular sexualisation of minors, but I haven't seen the movie yet.
Never watched Shield Hero because it looked like generic trash.
As for Overlord, yeah- to be honest, it doesn't grab my attention. Things just seem to happen because they happen. Again, only following that so I'm in the loop. That being said, Albedo is a complete babe and I would kill to have a night with her. Hhhnggghhh!!!

I only drop anime cause they are behind the manga. I have stopped waiting for new seasons and started reading the manga instead. Spoils the anime though.

Ive dropped series for a few reasons by now namely:

1. the author puts it on hiatus forever, Im looking at you Im dal young.

2. the author decides to change direction midway especially when they decide to suddenly go for ntr.

3. reading/watching it feels more like a chore than entertainment(honestly not about to waste my time with something I dont enjoy).

4. the animation quality is atrocious(this one especially hurts since I usually watch anime after reading the manga so Im usually only watching to enjoy the animation)

Dex-chan lover
Knight's Run, I dropped it because while the good guys were competent, but they keep getting slaughtered en masse whenever a non standard enemy appeared on the battlefield. Plus, they have this habits of posing cool badass walking shot for a panel and then promptly get slaughtered to a man the very next chapter. Plus the main character is kinda "special" and the villain's obsession is kinda Yui Ikari times infinite.

I dropped Chitra and I was reborn as the villainous emperor of a novel because, not because they were bad in any way-
but because they apparently end in reverse harems. I cannot STAND harems or reverse harems and i avoid them like the fucking plague. idgaf how good a story is, harems in general piss me off and i hate the genre with a passion. They can ruin even the best stories for me, as you can see. I might go back and see if they actually do if it ever gets completed, but for now, no.

@Kimmm3618

I totally agree but I slightly hate harems more than reverse harems but don't get me wrong there both TERRIBLE. in harem, you got the most dense and boring main character possible with like 7 girls chasing after him and with reverse harems, you have the most BASIC female lead and she almost ALWAYS end up with the "Bad boy tsundere" or the "Dumb Tsundere". Whilst the both of them are leading on the side characters that like them

Harem in my opinion is the second worst genre right after Mecha

The last series I dropped was My hero Academia
. This was a while ago tbh but when they introduced Iri i was getting some weird feelings but when i saw that everyone was preparing for the school musical thing and midoriya was just whooping people outside for whatever reason i was like I'm done. and then a couple weeks later i checked it out to give it one more chance and when the gave me the BS of midoriya having more powers I DITCHED.

Black Clover - I got creeped out by the inverse-panda-face guy, and got bored after the 110something episode. Also, zero character development regarding mentality or personality of the characters. Did I mention it was boring?

Rainbow - I plan to rewatch it till the end, if I ever get enough nerve to stomach that level of cruelty in the plot and in the side characters.

The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyousuke - I almost finished it, but the episode before the final one got so bad it hurt my eyes and brain. Low quality animation, a few character design was totally not the same as in previous eps, and clichéd as hell.

Bad power scaling

An example is something like Mc can shatter mountains with their attacks and tank similar attacks, but somehow is scared of and gets hurt by slaps, punches, and attacks by much weaker and slower characters. If your story is about superhumans doing superhuman stuff, it's hard to believe the equivalent of superman or Etrigan would be damaged by weak attacks. It works against its own narrative.

Spending years in the VS Battle community has definitely affected how I view media.

I usually love reading. I read mangas, novels, light novels, manhwas etc. but I drop them if they become too hard to bear, like too hard to move on.... idk if I’m explaining it properly. It either gets too embarrassing, or too tragic for my imagination (as I play every scene in my imagination like live movie). So, while reading... something like that comes and I immediately shut the book. I look towards it, slightly open it up a crack, and shut it again (too hard to go on).

Does it count as dropping it if you completely forget about it because of either the next upload happens more than a year ago/group(s) drop it, or because it was just that unmemorable for you?

But seriously, I think the last time I dropped a series was because either the author or artist just... stopped working on it and the other went and rebooted it, or it just hit a point where my hipster personality decides that it's too cringe to keep reading it; on a sidenote, having a toxic fanbase to something is also a heavy incentive for me to drop stuff in general.
Otherwise, most series I've dropped hit that point where waiting goes from 6 months or a year, to suddenly an indefinite waiting period without explaining the reasons. I have patience, but when I can't even find a reason as to why stuff got restarted or release got pushed back, it makes me feel as if either telling us is not worth their time or it was something pretty bad to the point it was likely to get axed.

I think the last anime I dropped was Magi's Grandson or whatever it was called because of how bad the plot was after some guy was defeated, it started going round and round. Every single episode the god damn thing was on repeat. MC goes to school, MC hangs out, MC deals with a monster, problem, or some relationship development. "Every MC needs a lover." Don't quote me on that. But of course different sceneries. But the animation was alright not as good as Gleipnir, SAO Alicization, etc. But the effects were good. If only the plot was good.

(Ngl, SAO Alicization, Gleipnir, Jujutsu Kaisen animation is fire af. Watch Ajin if you don't mind CGI. Ajin hot fire but the anime doesn't continue more of the story after it's 2 seasons so you gotta read the manga of course for more after you finish the anime. 😁)

In summary Magi's Grandson, the anime. Was an absolute sh*t show. Plot was bad. Sole purpose of why it made me drop it.

Users who are viewing this thread