What's your favorite non-manga medium? What's your least? And anything in-between?

I don't know.

I'm a fan of sculptures, especially bronze(metal etc)/stone. My favorite sculptors are Constantin Brancusi and Henry Moore.

Maybe the least I appreciate/have been exposed to/relate is performance art. I remember hearing a story about one that would do live crucifixions, I am almost certain it was a woman and she had done some other crazy works too.

In-between might be theater. I never was able to get into the actual performance of it (maybe performance as a whole just isn't simpatico with social things) but I always wanted to really enjoy the play. I got into Bertolt Brecht and Thornton Wilder. Another one is Antonin Artaud...that guy is crazy (so good). His Anthology is surreal.

So yeah. What type of stuff do you like?

I will say, any other printed art works too, so comics (from wherever) work as non-manga. [This could be debated for sure, let's just say it is separate, maybe specify what types of comics a la DC/Marvel or Maus or Crumb. Stuff like that]

Hope you all are having a good night or day.

Let's start with paintings. I love Johannes Vermeer. His The Little Street and View of Delft are amazing.
I like reading fantasy and science fiction books. Steven Erikson, Glen Cook, G.R.R. Martin, J.R.R. Tolkien, Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov.
I guess something like Kruggsmash's videos. He plays DF and adds his own drawings, story elements, editing and jokes.

Double-page supporter
My top favorite medium would definitely be literature: I love me some poetry from time to time (Wordsworth, for example, or my beloved countrymen Dante and Leopardi), but most of all I've been a sucker for 19th century novelists since a young age (Hugo, Dumas, Austen, the Brontë sisters), along with some more recent ones like London, Orwell, and C. S. Lewis (yeah, I've got pretty old-fashioned tastes haha).
I'm also quite fond of art, and thankfully I live in a country where I can easily enjoy different kinds of amazing architecture, but I prefer paintings, mostly from the Italian Renaissance, the Romantic age (Turner and Friedrich on top), and the Impressionism (Monet's works are to die for!). If we're talking about sculpture, no one beats Michelangelo and Canova's technique and undying harmony.
I find animation really fascinating too, in all kind of forms, especially when it's still very sketchy and you can clearly see the creative process behind it, and watch it come to life.

On the other hand, I just can't seem to get into opera performances (shame on my Italian blood!), since I usually find the plot too convoluted and the lyrics are extremely hard to understand.

Dex-chan lover
I really enjoy going to art museums with my family, especially if it's pre-20th century art. My father is very knowledgeable, and it's just a treat to go to these places with him and have him ramble on about the painters, their historical time period, the subjects and stories they portray if they're Biblical, Classical or real life events.

That being said, my favorite art movements and artists are all modern. Expressionism and Weimar Post-Expressionism is great, and I'm especially fond of Otto Dix. American Realism (Hopper) is also nice. While my favorite artist are probably Magritte and de Chirico, I'm not too keen on most other surrealists. My least favorite movements are mostly contemporary and especially Hyperrealism. Too often they feel hollow, self-congratulating and masturbatory. That, or it's just a matter of aesthetics that I just can't appreciate.

My other favorite medium, aside from comics, is cinema. I used to (secretly) attend Cinema history and technique courses during University, and loved it. I genuinely feel that cinema and photography have taken up the torch that traditional arts and sculpture used to fill, as the latter have meandered throughout the late 20th century into a disorganized glorification of "art for art's sake". Granted, cinema in particular is driven almost entirely by economic demand, but so was traditional art once, and I especially like how personal self-expression, styles and commentary can still arise in such a commercial environment. It's also fun to learn how directors and film studios rise and fall with the occasional overambitious project. My favorite of the "Cinema class classics" is probably Peckinpah's "Wild Bunch".

Users who are viewing this thread