Yamada and Kase-san. - Ch. 32 - Fukami and Kase-san (part 1)

Dex-chan lover
…we're talking about Japan here, lgbtq is rare…
Just a minor(?) correction:
the percentages of the population are the same and anywhere else. The issue is social acceptance is currently much lower.
Gay rights are ASS there compared to the US, UK, CA and EU.

So yeah. Not that queers are more rare, people just hide more than some other places.

Dex-chan lover
seriously, I can't even make sense of this stupid running race anymore. Kase is going way overboard in this dumb arc. can't she just freaking explain that Yamada is her damn 'girlfriend' like Yamada did when Kase got all jealous about that celebrity arc?!
The closet doors are tighter in Japan, but this has indeed gotten idiotic.

Yamada deserves better than Kase. I wish they would pan over to yamada finding a new super cute and cool girlfriend and then have Kase finish all this stupid stuff only to have Yamada break up with her cause she found someone better.

I know it will never happen cause its original and doesn't follow the stupid anime/manga logic that the first romantic interest is the only one you ever have.

Just a minor(?) correction:
the percentages of the population are the same and anywhere else. The issue is social acceptance is currently much lower.
Gay rights are ASS there compared to the US, UK, CA and EU.

So yeah. Not that queers are more rare, people just hide more than some other places.
...do people just not keep up on societal changes? That was true like 20 years ago as of 11/1/2022 they literally have better national protection on same sex marriage than the USA does in the same time frame.

In the USA an individual can refuse to allow marriage based on their personal beliefs in Japan that is illegal now and was deemed unconstitutional on a national level.

Various regions have adopted laws prohibiting Discrimination on Gender Identity or sexual orientation with some much more impactful repercussions than the USA as well.

Anime and Manga are not reflective of actual Japanese culture in most regards.

Dex-chan lover
I can't anymore. She screwed both girls by now. Yamada by basically ignoring their own plans (you lost your PLANNED rent apartment cause of some side chick? Break up territory right here). And not only you not getting your **** together and finding a new apartment (and maybe paying for half a year out of your pocket to show you made a stupid mistake, and you value your partner and your relationship), instead you staying with this side chick for another MONTH? Or more? And flirt with her? Girl, get out of here

Dex-chan lover
...do people just not keep up on societal changes? That was true like 20 years ago as of 11/1/2022 they literally have better national protection on same sex marriage than the USA does in the same time frame.

In the USA an individual can refuse to allow marriage based on their personal beliefs in Japan that is illegal now and was deemed unconstitutional on a national level.

Various regions have adopted laws prohibiting Discrimination on Gender Identity or sexual orientation with some much more impactful repercussions than the USA as well.

Anime and Manga are not reflective of actual Japanese culture in most regards.
I said compared to the US, UK and EU.
”various regions” is not “throughout the land”. I knew about the regional changes. I’m not going back until they get better.
from Wikipedia:
Japan Japan(sexual activit)
Yes Legal since 1880
+ UN decl. sign.[54]
(recognition of relationships)
No * Symbolic recognition in some jurisdictions.
(Marriage)
No Proposed
No Yes The Japan Self-Defense Forces allow gay people to enlist.[395] Yes No nationwide protections, but some cities ban some anti-gay discrimination[54] Yes Transgender people allowed to change legal gender, but only after sex reassignment surgery
(and you can’t get srs on national insurance if you have ever taken hr)
No marriage, some places even recognise relationships but with no legal enforcement possible, SOME cities prevent you from being evicted, harassed or fired in the workplace etc, laws designed to make life difficult for trans people…

Yeah, so much better than the US. 🙄

Anime and manga show a brighter world than reality a lot of the time.

It’s a matter of time, though. A ton of stuff will improve once the older of the Showa generation start being a small minority. Huge divide on age lines.

I have issues with things in The West right now, too.
Legal and social crap in the US is pretty fucked in recent years.
The UK is TERF island.
Religious freedom is pretty garbage in France (basically illegal to be a Jewish boy or Muslim girl in public school. No yarmulke? No hijabs? No observant kids allowed).
In fact, there’s a pressure in queer culture to come out, right now, for one. Like being queer is a process that leads to some ultimate self-actualisation, instead of just being a person having a life however works best for them at the time.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I said compared to the US, UK and EU.
”various regions” is not “throughout the land”. I knew about the regional changes. I’m not going back until they get better.
from Wikipedia:
Japan Japan(sexual activit)
Yes Legal since 1880
+ UN decl. sign.[54]
(recognition of relationships)
No * Symbolic recognition in some jurisdictions.
(Marriage)
No Proposed
No Yes The Japan Self-Defense Forces allow gay people to enlist.[395] Yes No nationwide protections, but some cities ban some anti-gay discrimination[54] Yes Transgender people allowed to change legal gender, but only after sex reassignment surgery
(and you can’t get srs on national insurance if you have ever taken hr)
No marriage, some places even recognise relationships but with no legal enforcement possible, SOME cities prevent you from being evicted, harassed or fired in the workplace etc, laws designed to make life difficult for trans people…

Yeah, so much better than the US. 🙄

Anime and manga show a brighter world than reality a lot of the time.

It’s a matter of time, though. A ton of stuff will improve once the older of the Showa generation start being a small minority. Huge divide on age lines.

I have issues with things in The West right now, too.
Legal and social crap in the US is pretty fucked in recent years.
The UK is TERF island.
Religious freedom is pretty garbage in France (basically illegal to be a Jewish boy or Muslim girl in public school. No yarmulke? No hijabs? No observant kids allowed).
In fact, there’s a pressure in queer culture to come out, right now, for one. Like being queer is a process that leads to some ultimate self-actualisation, instead of just being a person having a life however works best for them at the time.
With regards to the pressure to come out, I really think that LGBTQ culture has been commodified to the point that it's trendy now. "If you're not wearing you sexuality/gender all over your entire body, are you really out of the closet?" seems to be the sentiment that a lot of people share. It's not enough to tell people who are close to you, everyone who sees you needs to know right away.

Dex-chan lover
With regards to the pressure to come out, I really think that LGBTQ culture has been commodified to the point that it's trendy now. "If you're not wearing you sexuality/gender all over your entire body, are you really out of the closet?" seems to be the sentiment that a lot of people share. It's not enough to tell people who are close to you, everyone who sees you needs to know right away.
THIS.
I moved to a much less trendy area and I see just as many queers, but 9.5 times out of 10 people just look like every else.
Couple weeks ago a guy has one battery and a gift card, and I had a cart of groceries for Shabbos dinner. Looked like he just got off work doing construction or yard work. Scruffy, grimy jeans, old T-shirt that was probably “free with purchase”, dirty snapback.
He insisted I go first, which was confusing, but sure. I’m bagging my groceries and glance back to see what he was waiting for, and there’s another less-grimy guy there holding their baby, who’d been getting formula and stuff. They’re all smiling and talking to the baboo and it’s adorable.
Everyone looks like boring normal people, which most people are.

the other 0.5 work at petsmart where everyone is SCREAMINGLY GAY.

But there is this air of “it’s better to come out and get thrown out than stay in the closet for a while.”
Shit, people don’t have to come out if they don’t want to, full stop.

I don’t even wear any pride anything anymore. There are so many flags I don’t think any are useful anymore, every single one is contentious.
Even the 🏳️‍🌈 flag has become controversial! If they change that emoji I’m writing a damn essay on it and sending it to a ton of publications…

Supporter
I feel like this would be less frustrating if we had more than 15 pages every 2 months. Not a dig at the TL, more at the pacing of the story.

Double-page supporter
Yamada deserves better than Kase. I wish they would pan over to yamada finding a new super cute and cool girlfriend and then have Kase finish all this stupid stuff only to have Yamada break up with her cause she found someone better.

I know it will never happen cause its original and doesn't follow the stupid anime/manga logic that the first romantic interest is the only one you ever have.
I wish the author is going to surprise us with Yamada finding someone who's much more respectful of her wants/needs than Kase.

Dex-chan lover
This "race arc" has honestly been such a low-point for the whole series. I dunno what possessed the mangaka to suddenly start writing Kase -- who imo had always been a really likeable character up until recently -- like such a giant idiot douchebag.

Double-page supporter
You know part of me thinks the author still kinda feels like the characters are all still high schoolers or something. The way they're being written and their emotional immaturity comes off as similar to the way they were written as kids. The issue is that they're all grown-ass adults now, so them continuing to be this emotionally ignorant is a lot more noticiable and less excusable to us (the audience) because they, as ADULTS, in COLLEGE, should KNOW BETTER than this by now, especially with all the things they already experienced together as their relationship formed (e.g., the multiple jealousy/misunderstanding plot lines from the original series and early on in this series).

Part of the reason many GL/romance manga plots and drama work in general is because we can accept that characters are acting nonsensically since they're usually kids/teens, and it's well known and even expected that children aren't always going to be the most rational and emotionally mature people. However, if you go and read popular romance manga with adult characters instead of school-age kids, you'll find that the people in them act very differently, and emotional immaturity is treated way more seriously and as far less excusable, thus lots of those plots focus more on general social acceptability, reputation, other external forces, or the more broad life desires that the people involved have and how that might conflict with their partner's. Character flaws are treated much more seriously as more is expected of the characters, and the biggest problem I think Kase-san as a series has right now is that these very serious character flaws are coming from adults (ADULTS WHO BY NOW WE HAVE LITERALLY WATCHED GROW UP AND GAIN THE EXPERIENCE NECESSARY TO LEARN HOW TO PROPERLY HANDLE THESE SITUATIONS), but are still being treated as if they're just kids innocently trying to figure themselves out or something.

TL;DR I understand graduating high school and jumping into college doesn't immediately turn you into a full-fledged adult overnight or anything, but you're still going to have different responsibilities and expectations than you did before and it would be nice if the author actually recognized that.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You know part of me thinks the author still kinda feels like the characters are all still high schoolers or something. The way they're being written and their emotional immaturity comes off as similar to the way they were written as kids. The issue is that they're all grown-ass adults now, so them continuing to be this emotionally ignorant is a lot more noticiable and less excusable to us (the audience) because they, as ADULTS, in COLLEGE, should KNOW BETTER than this by now, especially with all the things they already experienced together as their relationship formed (e.g., the multiple jealousy/misunderstanding plot lines from the original series and early on in this series).

Part of the reason many GL/romance manga plots and drama work in general is because we can accept that characters are acting nonsensically since they're usually kids/teens, and it's well known and even expected that children aren't always going to be the most rational and emotionally mature people. However, if you go and read popular romance manga with adult characters instead of school-age kids, you'll find that the people in them act very differently, and emotional immaturity is treated way more seriously and as far less excusable, thus lots of those plots focus more on general social acceptability, reputation, other external forces, or the more broad life desires that the people involved have and how that might conflict with their partner's. Character flaws are treated much more seriously as more is expected of the characters, and the biggest problem I think Kase-san as a series has right now is that these very serious character flaws are coming from adults (ADULTS WHO BY NOW WE HAVE LITERALLY WATCHED GROW UP AND GAIN THE EXPERIENCE NECESSARY TO LEARN HOW TO PROPERLY HANDLE THESE SITUATIONS), but are still being treated as if they're just kids innocently trying to figure themselves out or something.

TL;DR I understand graduating high school and jumping into college doesn't immediately turn you into a full-fledged adult overnight or anything, but you're still going to have different responsibilities and expectations than you did before and it would be nice if the author actually recognized that.
Kase is maturing backwards.

Dex-chan lover
God damn. I binged the sequel after reading the original series but what is this lol. This is garbage with a capital G! Why this trash has a rating so high?

I blame you guys for wasting my time with a promise of wholesome yuri... This is right out of a "how to be properly toxic in a relationship" handbook. I was legit fuming while reading this jelousy limbo. What a shit show and a downgrade from the original series.

i am slightly more forgiving of fukami's actions now, assuming she doesn't even know shes gay as hell and is so socially stunted she may as well be a log. a big gay log.

Supporter
Half the entertainment in reading each chapter is clicking through to the seething comments :kek:

Users who are viewing this thread