Yashiro no Maou - Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
It's listed as yuri on Comic Walker so the implication is that Maou is female. Though yuri doesn't necessarily mean romance.
Yuri is defined as romantic/sexual/intimate relationships between women. Well that wasnt the problem anyway, just hoped it wasnt another case of a genderbender type story getting tagged as GL when its not…

Power Uploader
Yuri is defined as romantic/sexual/intimate relationships between women. Well that wasnt the problem anyway, just hoped it wasnt another case of a genderbender type story getting tagged as GL when its not…
Just because Maou normally looks like a demonic monster doesn't mean she can't be a woman.

Dex-chan lover
Just because Maou normally looks like a demonic monster doesn't mean she can't be a woman.
Maou said she is as powerless as a woman or child, which is why she takes this form. I think we could assume if she had enough power as a man, she would take the form of a man.

But again rather have a genderless demon take the form as a girl, than another series with a guy that gets genderbend to a girl and it somehow gets tagged as a GL...

Power Uploader
Maou said she is as powerless as a woman or child, which is why she takes this form. I think we could assume if she had enough power as a man, she would take the form of a man.

But again rather have a genderless demon take the form as a girl, than another series with a guy that gets genderbend to a girl and it somehow gets tagged as a GL...
I really don't understand how you read a sentence and then jump to a completely different conclusion. It reads "To put it in human terms I'm as powerless as a woman or child". There is nothing in this sentence that indicates Maou took this specific form because she lost her power, she is only explaining Yashiro in a way that she can easily understand it by using a form of reference that Yashiro is familiar with.

In addition to that, just because you see a demon and immediately expect it to me male (or genderless) does not mean you're correct either. Besides the Yuri tag on Comic Walker there's also the ギャップ女子 tag. The gap referring to Maou's cute appearance versus her violent nature, but the keyword here being 女子 (woman/girl).
Do you also think Kobayashi's Dragon Maid can't be Yuri because Tooru is a dragon and not a "real woman"?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
In addition to that, just because you see a demon and immediately expect it to me male (or genderless) does not mean you're correct either. Besides the Yuri tag on Comic Walker there's also the ギャップ女子 tag. The gap referring to Maou's cute appearance versus her violent nature, but the keyword here being 女子 (woman/girl).
Do you also think Kobayashi's Dragon Maid can't be Yuri because Tooru is a dragon and not a "real woman"?
Imagine using Dragon Maid as an example, when Tohrus gender has always been known, which is a female dragon, compared to this series when there is no proof of Maou actually being a female demon and not a genderless demon, taking the form of a girl.
But again, as long as its either a female demon/genderless demon taking the form of a girl, I am fine with it being tagged as a GL. I was simply wondering if this would be another case of a genderbend with a guy in a girls body and it being tagged as a GL, when its not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread