Zatsuyo Gakari Ken Shien Jutsu Shi Ha Party Tsuiho Ni Akogareru ~ Seken Ha Tsuiho Boomnanoni, Ore Wo Kadai Hyoka Suru Party Member Tachi Ga Kesshite …

Group Leader
Man's cooking 👨‍🍳
yeah he's not cooking shit : r/NANIKPosting

Dex-chan lover
but doesn't this sob backstory fall exactly into the meta it was initially poking fun at? The "Support spellcaster who is actually secretly super OP" cliche?
He is quite powerful, but it's not a secret from his party. Not in this manga.
If you think about it, his new ability is a natural extension of his already demonstrated ability - to prevent the monster from noticing how dead it is.
And it still makes more sense as a support ability (a debuff) than as an attack ability.

Half the party standing around having a conversation and a flashback, while the tank is getting beaten up?
Welcome to tank life. If you're lucky, you have a healer who is serious about his job. But those damage-dealers? Nope. They don't see anything beyond their DPS counter.

Dex-chan lover
So, things are even worse than the chapter before.

It's already a pain to see a wimpy MC that has a nervous breakdown when his friends are fighting for his life.

It's way worse when things become contradictory: his flashback indicates that he got intense combat training to kill with manipulation magic, but he stopped eventually because he doesn't want to kill... which is why he became an adventurer where most of the work... is to kill. Or assist in killing in his case. Because it's so much less stressful to help others do the killing, I suppose.

Look, I'm not looking for masterpiece in writing. I'm happy when I get one, but I can do with just decent. All I'm asking is something that is internally consistent. If you say that your character doesn't like killing, why does he run straight into the second job (right after assassination) that involves killing all the time?

I'm dropping out this time.

Dex-chan lover
So he had some kind of instant death magic all this time and didn't use it against monsters? When his own life is in danger? :question:
Since magic seems to be about being in the right frame of mind, he probably can't use full power of his buffing and debuffing spells at the same time. And he prioritizes buffing his party members, as it's more versatile and feels better for him personally.

Also, deadly curses are probably easier to resist than misdirection with his "accumulation" spell.
It's way worse when things become contradictory: his flashback indicates that he got intense combat training to kill with manipulation magic, but he stopped eventually because he doesn't want to kill... which is why he became an adventurer where most of the work... is to kill. Or assist in killing in his case. Because it's so much less stressful to help others do the killing, I suppose.

Look, I'm not looking for masterpiece in writing. I'm happy when I get one, but I can do with just decent. All I'm asking is something that is internally consistent. If you say that your character doesn't like killing, why does he run straight into the second job (right after assassination) that involves killing all the time?
First, yes, the kind of person who would be a support spellcaster (as opposed to, say, frontline tank) is hard to find, because they need to be this contradictory.
Second, he is probably racist against monsters, and does not value their lives as much as those of people. Which is not unusual in a world where low-powered monsters just respawn all the time.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
First, yes, the kind of person who would be a support spellcaster (as opposed to, say, frontline tank) is hard to find, because they need to be this contradictory.
I don't think a support mage needs to be that contradictory. One might simply not have the reflexes or physical strength to be a fighter nor the elemental affinity to be a direct attack mage. Or could not stomach the stress of directly attacking a monster, but still want to participate in killing them.
There can be many reasons to want to kill, but not have the ability to do so directly.
There are multiple MCs in manga which are support or healing characters but still want to do their share of fighting in their own indirect way. They don't have a problem with killing their enemies, but they just don't have the skills required to do it directly by themselves.

Here, the MC specifically said: "I don't want to kill anymore", which he learned to do in indirect ways if direct killing was his problem. He has the ability to kill by himself, but chose not to. This kind of moral decision is not solved by just helping others to do it in his stead. Or we get something similar to hypocrisy, which I'll address below.
Second, he is probably racist against monsters, and does not value their lives as much as those of people. Which is not unusual in a world where low-powered monsters just respawn all the time.
Ah right, I don't want to kill anymore... But killing monsters is not killing.
That kind of semantics-based self-deception is just what I look for in a consistent MC. (/s)

In both the case of "indirect killing" and the one where you just persuade yourself that what you're doing is not "killing" because your target is not human, it just comes down to basic hypocrisy. I don't mind an evil protagonist being an obvious hypocrite. That can be pretty entertaining in its own way. I do mind it when the MC is supposedly making his own decision not to kill, but is leaving blatant loopholes in his own moral code.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't he explicitly trained in killing humans, not monsters? The I don't want to kill anymore likely refers to other people, not monsters.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't he explicitly trained in killing humans, not monsters? The I don't want to kill anymore likely refers to other people, not monsters.
If that were the case, he wouldn't need to shift to support magic.
Control magic would kill monsters just as well as it kills humans.

Dex-chan lover
He is quite powerful, but it's not a secret from his party. Not in this manga.
If you think about it, his new ability is a natural extension of his already demonstrated ability - to prevent the monster from noticing how dead it is.
And it still makes more sense as a support ability (a debuff) than as an attack ability.
I don't think the cliche of "secret super op side-line profession" necessarily entails that his party doesn't know. In fact, in most, I think the core party DOES know how OP they are; in these series, it's usually small fry side characters/mobs who get fried by the MC's ability (without expecting it) that generates the power fantasy.

Further on his ability, I think whether or not its a "natural extension" of his ability is irrelevant - in the same vein of "healing magic that heals the world to turn back time", an OP extension of one's ability in concept or output is pretty much just an excuse for a power fantasy with the hallmark tropes of bad writing, which we (or at least myself) were expecting the series to parody and poke fun at. Meh

Users who are viewing this thread