Kentei Gakuin no Magan Kenja - Ch. 28 - Qualifiers Final Results

Dex-chan lover
Maybe the people in the past really, really sucked?

i forget: is he concealing his real power to blend in with everyone while he looks for the main baddie or something?

Dex-chan lover
It just feels like the plot point of "super magician from the Past" and "school arc" are pretty fundamentally incompatible. You either nerf him into the ground to keep the tension and pretense of competition or the MC breezes through and it's like... what's the point? Why is he in school?

It's a losing proposition either way.

Dex-chan lover
I just wish they were more consistent with how they portray his power. Initially they propped him up to being THE top dog, THE most powerful magic user. He displayed feats such as drilling a large hole hundreds of meters to the ground, practically deleting the earth beneath him, and then control over gravity. Now all of a sudden he's being matched by some random kid. It's just so inconsistent.

Usually for this type of story the ancient powers are leagues more powerful due to how unrestricted they are with wielding their power. Perhaps he's subconsciously inhibiting his power so he won't be found out by an enemy we don't even know of yet?

Dex-chan lover
I just wish they were more consistent with how they portray his power. Initially they propped him up to being THE top dog, THE most powerful magic user. He displayed feats such as drilling a large hole hundreds of meters to the ground, practically deleting the earth beneath him, and then control over gravity. Now all of a sudden he's being matched by some random kid. It's just so inconsistent.

Usually for this type of story the ancient powers are leagues more powerful due to how unrestricted they are with wielding their power. Perhaps he's subconsciously inhibiting his power so he won't be found out by an enemy we don't even know of yet?
He is THE top dog, THE most powerful magic user. But he's in a time period where they aren't really using magic anymore instead it's like skill arts close to magic and he's trying to blend in for reasons I can't remember. In a physical fight, these kids are far more skilled and trained in combat. He's pretty much getting on by downplaying what he can do to the level that would seem possible by their standards. Can't give away (again for whatever reason) that he's not actually using a Gram.

If he unleashes his magic, he'll win hands down. His (artificial) struggle is he figuring out more and more what he can get away with while keeping the truth under wraps.....little good that'll do when characters like the loli who can tell his "gram" isn't really a gram.
So yeah, not a fan of the how they doing things but I do kinda understand the why.

Dex-chan lover
Story could have worked the same with him just being a normal person from their era, and showing his struggles to reach the top.
I think it would make it worse. Imagine if a young upstart acted like the MC: lazy, pretentious, and smug. Barely mediocre performance and yet for whatever reason everyone keep praising him.

Users who are viewing this thread