Damedol to Sekai ni Hitori Dake no Fan - Ch. 16 - Popochi

Aggregator gang
Chill everyone, it's harsh in it's reality.... but he'll probably have enough time to see Urumin, explain himself and queue for Popochi and maybe even see Urumin again afterwards :p

Dex-chan lover
And just like that, the author has effectively pissed off a number of fans of the series with just one character. Well played.

Dex-chan lover
My god whoever is editing these chapters gets me every time. The combination of typesetting and hilarious translation is so good, impact font got me rolling

Dex-chan lover
Yank-bashing in response to a translation by someone outside America for whom English is a second language is pretty damn'd stupid.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL! I'd be interested to know what the raws said in place of 'gyatt' and rizz'! Are there direct JP equivalents of those words? I only ask because I've just started learning JP haha
I'll just copy what I pasted to other people, with a couple of edits, regarding the use of those two words and what the raws were;

For the word "Gyat":

The raw was "デッ!!" ("De!!!") Short for でかい ("Dekai") meaning "Huge!" But in a more exasperated exclamatory way (ie; the English "WOAH!"). I thought it fit him as a character to say it and it gets the same impression from when reading the raws, too.

I've had people say "well just use "huge" or "woah" then?" to which I say, saying "huge" sounds weird af, that's not a natural reaction. Saying "woah" would fit, sure- but I wanted a word that more fit with "surprise at the voluptuous size of something", so we have "Gyat"

For the word "rizz":

The raw was "モテ期"

モテ comes from モテモテ meaning "to be popular with the opposite sex (or of the same sex, if they're LGBT)"

and 期 comes from 期間 meaning basically "time", "period", "season" etc.

So a literal translation would have been "Are you having a period in which you're popular with the girls right now?" ....but fuck that when we have the useful "Rizz" word nowadays which means essentially the same thing.

Dex-chan lover
I’m not a translator by any means and I’m eternally grateful to be able to read this stress free, but bro seeing the word “rizz” made me wish I was blind, or hit with the men and black memory loss flash
He's a young guy in his late teens (no more than 21) who has been established as a flashy fuckboi type guy set in modern day... what do you think he was gonna say?

Dex-chan lover
Localizer-san I hope you smash your pinky toe and the nail forever grows incorrectly.
Perhaps you should learn a little more about linguistics, translation and understand about using language with which suits the character. I would never have Kimiya use that language, for example- but a young fuccboi character set in modern day? Absolutely and you'd be an idiot to think he wouldn't speak that way.

Dex-chan lover
An ideal woman.
Also what does gyat and rizz even mean. It's an american slang I presume, but I kid you not, not only americans read english translations. Crazy I know.
@Random_Passer-by

I'm a 34 year old British guy living in Japan. Haven't set foot out of Japan for 14 years and yet I know these words...
Though, to be fair, I'm a translator by profession, it's literally my job to know words.
Regardless, it doesn't matter if you, personally, know a word- it's a word the character knows and the character uses. Get over it.

Dex-chan lover
Haiya... "Gyaat?" Isn't the character here supposed to be Japanese? Why would they say western meme words? Ffs... Another foreign culture erasure, replaced by the western culture overlords.
Cooooollllll let me just use Japanese meme-y words that "western culture overlords" wouldn't understand without a 3-paragraph explanation on the etymology for each word.
OORRRRRRR I could just use their English equivalent and save everyone that hassle?
Seriously, get a fucking clue and leave your holier-than-thou self-righteousness at the door.

Dex-chan lover
Tell that to the OED, which doesn't even include American words unless they cross the Atlantic.

I would agree that the use of shitpie slang should be avoided, regardless of whence it comes. But that use in scanlations is almost invariably from ESL folk trying to be kewl.
I'm a 34 year old British guy living in Japan, been here for 14 years. Currently a carpenter by trade- not some "ESL folk trying to be kewl".
Though I do have over a decade of teaching experience at college-level and years of translation experience, to boot. Using lexicon suited to the character is part of the job. He is a late-teens fuccboi in modern day, if he was speaking English he would use those words. Translation is almost never a one-to-one literal thing, localizing words/expressions into their closest equivalent is part of the job.
I notice no-one is complaining about my use of the word "Yo", "Bro", etc. But these new ones? OOOHHH NO hair on fire. Ya'll need to chill the fuck out.

Users who are viewing this thread