Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 2-bu 「Hon no Tamenara Miko ni Naru!」 - Vol. 10 Ch. 46 - The Prayer Ce…

I gotta get this off my chest about TOOR scans' translation. It's a bit frustrating how it feels like they're not light novels readers. I mean, the story's all about this book-loving girl, and it's a bummer when it seems like the translator can't be bothered to crack open a book for fact-checking.

ぷひ -> puhi

"Pooey" is the way Quof translated it in the official light novel. It's an ICONIC sound the shumil makes. It's like changing what Pikachu says from "pika pika" to "Squeak Squeak" Only someone utterly disconnected from the fanbase would even THINK that's a good idea.
I knew this translator wasn't a light novel reader when they called Myne a priestess DESPITE it being clearly stated she was not one, but rather a shrine maiden. Also don't get me started on how shit "City Lord" is of a translation.

Anyways I had to vent about how bad these choices are. Overall the translation is good. But I just wish these choices the translator made didn't make it so painfully obviously they don't read the light novel, they don't check there stuff to see if its even canonical. Like lets not forget, the Manga is BASED on the light novel. Hence the light novel is cannon. If you guys need someone who's read the light novel back to back, I can help fact check the manga releases. But I have to say, Myne would be sad at how reluctant TOOR scans seems to be to opening the Light Novel.

#NotMyPooey
This. The "honors Kazuki-sensei's choice" is probably the most pretentious thing I've read in a while. The translator sounds exactly like the Apothecary Diaries LN translator who couldn't be arsed to read the novel and went with his own interpretations, then wrote a long rant because he got criticized for his translation choices.

This translator wrote a note to explain why their choice is superior when the LN translator Quof, who is in direct contact with Kazuki, got her blessing to go with "pooey" instead of leaving it out. Even Crunchyroll did it better. Sorry buddy, but you are just wrong.

Fed-Kun's army
This translator wrote a note to explain why their choice is superior when the LN translator Quof, who is in direct contact with Kazuki, got her blessing to go with "pooey" instead of leaving it out. Even Crunchyroll did it better. Sorry buddy, but you are just wrong.
If a translator needs to include a page long TL Note, the SFX is probably being translated wrong Lol. Had they gone with Pooey or Puhi, no note would be required at all smfh :facepalm:
This. The "honors Kazuki-sensei's choice" is probably the most pretentious thing I've read in a while. The translator sounds exactly like the Apothecary Diaries LN translator who couldn't be arsed to read the novel and went with his own interpretations, then wrote a long rant because he got criticized for his translation choices.
Yeah the, "honors Kazuki-sensei's choice" bit in thet TL note is laughable. Anyone who's in touch with the fandom knows that Kazuki-sensei green lit the use of the word Pooey in the official english translation lol. TOOR went against Kazuki-sensei's wishes, while claiming to honor them. You can't make this shit up lol :aquadrink:

Dex-chan lover
Sylvester is quite imature i must say, so is Myne in such situation too I must say, Murano is meant to be an adult in her past life, yet the authors imply that she isn't simply capable of telling Sylvester to cease with such actions and that they are making her uncomfortable ? Or even worse, to tell him that he is wearing a blue robe priest and a noble, and as such, he shall honor it and act as one and doesn't dishonor those around him with such childish actions.

Of course, she may have chose not to due to fear of retaliation, but in this case her actions would be 100% justified and she had Karstedt and Ferdinand backing her up, and if he were to retaliate in any way shape or form against a little girl it would taint his honor and reputation. Which even an idiot would know that it would backfire greatly.
It’s pretty typical for isekai characters to degrade into a childlike mindset due to them literally having the brains of a child. Also, I don’t think Myne s past life was ever good at dealing with people

Dex-chan lover
I bet those two guys reacted and bonked the guy so suddenly was because Myne was about to blast him off to space.
Yeah pretty much. They saw the first signs of her about to crush him and both realized that the best solution was to beat Sylvester rather than try to restrain Myne. honestly, restraining Myne wouldvd been WAY harder, especially if they were trying to prioritize her health before this long trip

Dex-chan lover
I would say Urano was an emotionally stunted adult due to her obsession with books going the way it did in that life.

Myne now however is more mature and thoughtful than her peers, but it wouldn't surprise me that becoming a child has taken a bit of a toll on her. But this is the Myne we know over all.
Not just becoming A child but also becoming a very sickly child in a world that is constantly stressing her out. It’s honestly amazing that she doesn’t have panic attacks every 5 minutes.

Yea I'm just here to complain about pooey/squeak. Someone clearly doesn't know the LN translator actually gets to communicate with Kazuki on translation choices, and pooey was one of them. Not to mention the justification is stupid - don't change an intentionally unique/odd sound to a generic one. The author intentionally made it a non-generic sound, so the justification here is backwards.

Last edited:
"Puhi" or "pooey" never worked well as English onomatopoeia, so I like the simple "squeak". ("Pwee" is fine though.)

But considering how well the community picked it up and turned it into an AoB-specific meme, leaving it out is going to be weird for people who read this and then wonder later what all the "puhi" speech bubbles / sound effects in fan art are about. Complaints are unavoidable there, but I assume the translators knew that.

Impressive work on the chapter!

Last edited:
TOOR are uploading probably the best and most consistent work on the site and y'all are complaining because they do all their translations from scratch, one of the things that makes their work great. I don't get it.

Dex-chan lover
G8o7sPk.png

Anime always do like giving it's animals cutesy sounds rather than stock sfx.

Aggregator gang
As a weeb manga reader used to "untranslated/not-localized" SFX:

"puhi" or "pu-hi" would have felt natural, as people often neglect to translate/localize this word. Might've been unexpected or initially confusing for non-weebs, but I wouldn't have minded at all.

As a casual (manga-only) Ascendance of a Bookworm enjoyer:

"pooey" would have been weird as hell and confusing to read, y'all trippin'.

Some people are saying "puhi" is a "unique sound" and should have been translated as a "unique sound", but (as others have pointed out) puhi is NOT a unqiue sound; it's an established onomatopoeia. "Pooey" is NOT an established onomatopoeia.

In this context I would've thought it was either a misspelling of "phooey" (aw, pooey!) or "ptooey" (spits), or just something that "feels like" those words (negative vibe, either way). It doesn't evoke a friendly "puhi" feeling. It doesn't make me go "ah yes, of course, the sound a rabbit or other small woodland animal makes." It makes me go "what does this even mean and why is he asking her to do this."

Some people are saying the original author's preferred translation of "puhi" --> "pooey" should have been used as it apparently has been in other translations, but the author's preference/opinion doesn't change anything I wrote above; they didn't write the english version, this is their opinion on how to localize it, and it sure seems like it wasn't meant to be "iconic and unqiue" in the original language version.

The argument "but it was ORIGINALLY translated this way, and it was such an unusual/bizarre translation choice that it's ICONIC now SO NOBODY BETTER CHANGE IT" is inane. I understand the frustration reading multiple differing translations of the same work when consuming media (ORV sure was a nightmare) but this isn't a name, this isn't a location, this isn't a unique word or sound. This is... well, a squeak.

As someone considering this localization decision:

I think "squeak" was a solid choice; it's the closest english-language approximation I can think of to evoke the same feeling puhi" does, and it's appropriate and makes sense in all the same contexts. Good decision IMO. TOOR is based.

TL;DR I think it's totally fine to critique localization choices, but this was FAR from an "objectively wrong" choice, and I feel that "because it previously had this questionable localization it should always have it" is a very silly argument.

this did not merit a wall of text, but here I am

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I gotta get this off my chest about TOOR scans' translation. It's a bit frustrating how it feels like they're not light novels readers. I mean, the story's all about this book-loving girl, and it's a bummer when it seems like the translator can't be bothered to crack open a book for fact-checking.

ぷひ -> puhi

"Pooey" is the way Quof translated it in the official light novel. It's an ICONIC sound the shumil makes. It's like changing what Pikachu says from "pika pika" to "Squeak Squeak" Only someone utterly disconnected from the fanbase would even THINK that's a good idea.
I knew this translator wasn't a light novel reader when they called Myne a priestess DESPITE it being clearly stated she was not one, but rather a shrine maiden. Also don't get me started on how shit "City Lord" is of a translation.

Anyways I had to vent about how bad these choices are. Overall the translation is good. But I just wish these choices the translator made didn't make it so painfully obviously they don't read the light novel, they don't check there stuff to see if its even canonical. Like lets not forget, the Manga is BASED on the light novel. Hence the light novel is cannon. If you guys need someone who's read the light novel back to back, I can help fact check the manga releases. But I have to say, Myne would be sad at how reluctant TOOR scans seems to be to opening the Light Novel.

#NotMyPooey
As a matter of fact, there was translator's note at the end of the chapter (it's gone now, not sure why) addressing this very issue. They definitely do read the light novels, but basically they decided to go with "squeak" for this specific scene so that it would make sense for us non-LN-readers, with the idea that they can always go back to "Pooey" when the animal in question is introduced by presenting it as a "unique squeak".

You saw ONE word and were convinced you had them all figured out, huh?

Fed-Kun's army
As a matter of fact, there was translator's note at the end of the chapter (it's gone now, not sure why) addressing this very issue.
It's gone because it was objectively wrong. Removing it was wise to save face. But it is up on all those aggregator sites still.
You saw ONE word and were convinced you had them all figured out, huh?
Any one who has actually read the Light Novel would know it's wrong. It also ruins a scene in Part 4 which makes it even more evident they didn't read the book. Also it's not just "ONE word"... City Lord? Are you kidding me, we can't forget how bad that is. Its so bad it's ridiculous. Basically advertising to everyone "Hey I haven't read ANY of part 4"

Also since you can't seem to read, hence why you haven't read the light novel. I will highlight this part:
Anyways I had to vent about how bad these choices are. Overall the translation is good.
#NotMyPooey

Dex-chan lover
Sylvester is quite imature i must say, so is Myne in such situation too I must say, Murano is meant to be an adult in her past life, yet the authors imply that she isn't simply capable of telling Sylvester to cease with such actions and that they are making her uncomfortable ? Or even worse, to tell him that he is wearing a blue robe priest and a noble, and as such, he shall honor it and act as one and doesn't dishonor those around him with such childish actions.

Of course, she may have chose not to due to fear of retaliation, but in this case her actions would be 100% justified and she had Karstedt and Ferdinand backing her up, and if he were to retaliate in any way shape or form against a little girl it would taint his honor and reputation. Which even an idiot would know that it would backfire greatly.
She was an introvert with little friends, aka the kind of person who tolerates being bullied as long as one doesn't cross some lines. Also be aware that Japanese culture frowns upon being aggressive and emphasizes submissiveness. It is part of why black companies is often times emphasizes in manga where people abuse the submissiveness into overworking

And yes, there is fear. I mean be aware not to long she was threatened that if she doesn't become adopted, her and whole family would be killed

She doesn't know about their culture enough or about his position to make such statements
In this case he is the archduke, he is ranked above Fernando and Kardestian is his guard. He can have her killed any time he wants

Dex-chan lover
...but the author's preference/opinion doesn't change anything I wrote above; they didn't write the english...
The author, literaly the one who write the story, dont have anything to say in how this work is translated? You high bro?

Squeak is a ridiculously crazy sound to use for this case. Japanese use "cute" sounding onomatopeia in their work, and there is nothing even remotely cute with a little girl saying "squeak", it sound plain stupid. Do you even imagine a voice actor saying this? Like for real?
That's not a translation, that's localisation.
A localisation is made by dude that want to rewrite what the author did because they think they do a better job, they will change word or entire sentence just to fit their like.
A translator do his best to write the story the same as the author but in a different language, they will always try to make it so the original meaning are kept and the interaction have the same impact.

Localizator are bad, and they should feel bad.
A tradteam should try to be translator so they dont completely butcher the original work like we can see in most Japanese game translated in English.

PS : Because you like a translation team dont mean you should feel the need to lick their ass**le when they shit themself, you're not helping them. You're only making them believe that they took a good decision when they actualy took a wrong one.
If you like a team and they got something wrong, tell them they got something wrong...

Aggregator gang
The author, literaly the one who write the story, dont have anything to say in how this work is translated? You high bro?

That WOULD be a really stupid thing to say, holy shit. Good thing I didn't say that. But I understand the difference is nuanced and that you might have trouble picking up on nuance and might not even know what it is. Wish I could help.

a whole bunch of insane takes on the concept of localization
There's so much shit here that I could reply to but you don't seem particularly receptive, so instead I'll just leave you with this thought and pray that it rattles around in your brain long enough that it eventually clicks:

The purpose of a translation (in a "media" context) is to make something understandable in another language. Part of that process—of making something understandable to another language—necessarily involves making decisions on how to handle language and culture specific things that would only be known to people in that language or culture, in order to (as you said) convey the same meanings and emotions; things such as cultural references, idioms, tropes, and, yes: onomatopoeia.

If something exclusive to a language or culture is translated "literally" or "directly" with zero adaptation, how easily is it understood by people reading the translation? It sometimes even runs the risk of people of the translated language reading it differently or completely contrary to the original meaning, such as... reading pooey, as being similar to phooey. Subjective? Yes! That's the entire point.

Do you even imagine a voice actor saying this? Like for real?
Worked for 1960's batman, didn't it?

JNCLxPi.jpeg

If it's not painfully obvious, this is a joke and I'm trying to point out that THINGS THAT MAKE NOISES DON'T ACTUALLY READ OUT ONOMATOPOEIA, MY DUDE. GUNS DON'T "SAY BANG." MICE DON'T "SAY SQUEAK."

EDIT: also holy shit I just caught what you're implying here, imagine watching dubbed anime what kind of weeb even are you, how can so many bad takes exist in a single post

Despite my clear annoyance with the dumb shit you wrote, from one human of questionable intelligence (I'm here responding to you, after all :^) ) to another, I genuinely hope you have a nice day.

Last edited:

ぷひ -> puhi

#NotMyPooey
Let's not forget that not only is the LN translation really fucking good, Quof is able to contact Miya Kazuki herself to check specific translation details are as correct as possible, and Kazuki also provides additional context for certain parts so the translation is MORE accurate than the Japanese at times.

Users who are viewing this thread