Recent content by Cal

  1. Cal

    Outen no Mon - Vol. 4 Ch. 17 - Ariwara no Narihira hosts a salt-grilling banquet

    I hope you haven't changed it as I might be wrong, and someone may have just proved it. I just thought the salt grilling looked really interesting and that there was even more to it than even the mangaka stated. There was undoubtedly some flaunting going on as the next person stated, but I...
  2. Cal

    Outen no Mon - Vol. 4 Ch. 17 - Ariwara no Narihira hosts a salt-grilling banquet

    I could be wrong, but I suspect that the "salt grilling" here could even include a form of salt making. Many poems from the Heian period mention the making of salt on the shore. It is usually a part of poems describing sadness, isolation, restlessness. The actual act was probably not elegant...
  3. Cal

    Sanju Mariko - Vol. 6 Ch. 32

    Ugh. A few pages in, I was lamenting the fact that I now need and didn't have my reading glasses. I often have to enlarge manga pages without. It's awful! Then, in this chapter they talked about font size and I felt old. There was also the topic of hoarding. I'm afraid I'll be like that...
  4. Cal

    Nobunaga no Chef - Ch. 189 - The Value of Average Taste

    I can't help but think about Hyouge Mono while reading these chapters involving that tea pot. That manga is one of my favorites, and I recommend if you'd like to revisit this period with a greater focus on tea ceremony and comedy.
  5. Cal

    Army of Hell - Vol. 6 Ch. 58 - Work of Art

    This could be the best or worst chapter. Or even both!
  6. Cal

    Yuria-sensei no Akai Ito - Vol. 5 Ch. 29 - Spring Date

    I haven't read the chapter yet, but just want to say thanks. I've had a manga updated dry spell and was just telling husbando that I hope the manga about the lady with the comatose husband was updated soon. 😅
  7. Cal

    Glass Mask - Vol. 48 Ch. 264

    Holy hell, that got dark for this manga. It does seem to be maturing with the characters and reader over time, though. I first thought wicked Shiori was the manga jumping the shark, but I suppose it eventually became a little interesting. I've been in a similarly dark place before. It...
  8. Cal

    Homesick Taro - Vol. 2 Ch. 12 - Regression

    Tarou looks like Urakusai of Hyougemono in the flashbacks. I love Urakusai, but I'm not sure how I feel about the resemblance! (^_^;)
  9. Cal

    Yuria-sensei no Akai Ito - Vol. 5 Ch. 28 - Yuria-sensei Steps Off the Beaten Path

    Unibrow is off, guise. The boy is going down. 😅 I'm happy she's doing something nice for herself, regardless of what happens next. Little things like that can be refreshing. I kind of wish I could pluck my brow ends to redraw them however, but my nineties over-plucking damage makes me scared!!
  10. Cal

    Crystal Dragon - Vol. 12 Ch. 49

    Thank you so much for an update. I hope it can keep going! 😭❤️
  11. Cal

    The Life of Kumomaru Ouritsuin

    Oh my gosh, this. I saw a few chapters of it in Manga Vizion in the late 90s or early 2000s, so a part of my early exposure to manga, lel. I always thought I might try reading it all, so thanks for the upload.
  12. Cal

    Neko no Otera no Chion-san

    I'm so happy the site is back up. I had a dream about this series! It was about the future of the temple, but no spoilers because it's complete nonsense. XD Chion died and became a spooky ghost who lingered at the temple. People could talk to her, but they probably wished they couldn't. Her...
  13. Cal

    Outen no Mon

    At first I was amused to see a manga featuring Sugiwara no Michizane but I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. He's a fairly important figure from the era. I think I've encountered Ariwara no Narihira in one, but he's an obvious choice for Heian romance. I often wonder how these people...
  14. Cal

    Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 18 Ch. 187 - A Place to Lift My Spirit

    My in-laws just gave me some kumquat jam they made! It's very good. :3
  15. Cal

    Hyouge Mono - Vol. 13 Ch. 139 - Lips and Shivers

    Thank you, StubbornOne, for translating this brilliant manga! I hope you have a good week.
Top