Detective Conan - Vol. 99 Ch. 1056 - A Locked-Room Murder in the Attic

DQM

Mori's code is, like Ran said, base on mahjong:
The first row is tenpai for Kokushi Musou, waiting for North tile and the second row is tenpai for Chuuren Poutou, waiting for 8 man.
In japanese, north is pei, 8 is pa. Pei + Pa = Peipa = Paper.

Double-page supporter
@DQM Ohhh nice! This is a problem me and my brother always have when trying to figure out these puzzles ourselves, a lot of Conan relies on Japanese<->english wordplay.

So have you figured out the cards then? If it was a similar situation, I was thinking poker hands, but the card sets differ in size and one of them even has six cards, so that didn't seem right. Although I noticed that none of the cards go above 6, so that might be significant.

Also, I notice Wakita is trying to solve the mystery and doesn't seem to be observing Conan solving the mystery. Though he might be doing that in the third chapter, so no idea if that contributes to evidence of Wakita being Rum or not.

Dex-chan lover
Looks like everybody is too busy solving the mystery to bother helping Kogoro. I expect he'll fling open the door and yell for paper in the next chapter.

Double-page supporter
@Ovdose I think Conan and Wakita will solve the mystery, tell Youko, Youko will thank them then leave, Wakita will leave, then Conan will go 'Aw crap! I forgot about Kogoro!', finally give him the paper. Then Kogoro will come out and be super disappointed that not only has Youko left already, but everyone already ate all the premium sushi, he'll fall to the ground in despair, then Ran and Conan will go "Oh, brother.."

I can't do mysteries, but I can do the Conan beats XD

Dex-chan lover
I like how even Kogoro used a cipher instead of a plain message. xD

As for the motive:
I'm guessing the victim was abusive to his wife, Houka, given the sunglasses. Someone last time suggested that the woman in the wheelchair, Himi, is likely the one referenced by the code, and she was said to be best friends with the wife. So it's likely she killed him as revenge.
As for why he used the cipher instead of just text, maybe he was worried Himi would see it? They were searching together after all. Alternatively, he may have been concerned about their ability to fight back if Himi attacked since she's likely faking her injury.

No idea what's up with the missing pine tree, except it may have been involved in Houka's death/disappearance. The Ace nickname is also weird. I'm guessing it's a reference to when they'd play cards as kids, but no idea what's up with the "you're the real Ace" comment to Hejima.

wait kogoro is smart enough to come up with a whole cipher, and he trusts conan to solve it too??

Conan is cruel, he solved Kogorou's cypher but is just staying there instead of bringing toilet paper
not only that, but Conan also fucking broadcast Kogoro's situation for all of them to see

Users who are viewing this thread