Uchuujin no Kakushigoto - Ch. 23 - Spring (Haru)

Dex-chan lover
Good times create weak men.
Weak men create bad times.

I get it that this one was axed for some reason.
For those that didn't uderstood it: The ending shows a cycle repeating, the aliens became humans and now a new generation of aliens are coming to earth to repeat the story. The boy at the end if Class President but the cloning erased his memories and now he is remembering because that girl revealed she is an alien but that don't explain what happed to Haru.

Dex-chan lover
krusty-the-clown-what-the-hell.gif

Dex-chan lover
.... I... hmm... the- .... no, no.... um... let's see now... ok, first there was-

I'm not really sure, but in my mind, this is how it plays out:

Haru: Doo do do doo.... you know what, I'm going to change your name to Eno instead and put you into cold sleep or some shit.

Class Rep proceeds to be raised up to a certain age until Haru leaves him.

Haru: Alright, time for phase 2

Haru turns the gun on herself and is reborn as Shuru.

Eno and Shuru then meet up and have romcom hijinks until this very chapter.

Eno/Noah/Class Rep: Oh, you're Haru, my girlfriend... and my mother and my childhood best friend too. Who killed me and then birthed me. I'm not sure what to think.

Shuru/Haru: Pseudo incestuous alien sex?

Eno: Pseudo incestuous alien sex it is.

Fin~

Contributor
So it just repeats itself in an endless loop? They just mediate the current population until it blows itself up, then they move in and just take over as if nothing ever happened? I mean... I kind of get a bit about what the author is going for but this seems needlessly nihilistic. At least throw a twist in there that humanity managed to rise above their manipulations or something rather than the alien's plan working flawlessly as she manipulated an idiotic class president into being a meat puppet for her.
You surely overestimate humanity, we work really hard to destroy ourselves without even trying.

Dex-chan lover
So it's a loop, I don't hate the ending because I think that's the best we were gonna get after all that chaos, I think the humans got a somehow good ending, they lived in prosperity for thousands of years, protected by Haru's people, until they ended themselves with their own foolish choices
The only thing I wanted cleared is that if class rep was cloned and the original is really dead or was he somehow revived with an immortal body and lived with Haru overseeing humanity

pretty entertaining read with wild cliffhangers and twists 7/10

Power Uploader
I'm not really sure what the last word is supposed to mean because "shuru" can be a sfx for removing her tie and it also sounds like it's derived from Haru. It seems more like the former so I switched it to that instead.

Contributor
It is not "pessimistic", it is just reality.
Good times cannot create strong men because there is no incentive to be strong and instead there are incentives to be weak.
I saw a good takedown on this whole concept before.

But even if we pretend that we could agree on solid definitions, it's easy to see that the theory makes no sense. "Hard times create strong men" - well, unless the hardness of the times comes from famine, natural disasters, disease, or foreign invasion, in which case it is more likely to create weakened and desperate men (and women). "Strong men create good times" - good times for whom? If we are to understand this phrase in its Greco-Roman sense, strong men conquer, subjecting others to their will. Are these good times? Are they good even for the conqueror, who faces the horrors of aggressive war and the constant threat of rebellion? "Good times create weak men" - tell it to any of the human beings alive today who are taller and healthier and live longer than men in hard times past. Besides, in many ancient societies the leisure class provided the warriors, which implies that times of prosperity should result in a larger class of trained fighters, not a smaller or weaker one. "Weak men create hard times" - this one doesn't even sound logical. Do the weak men generate hard times by design? Why would they do this? Or is the implication that they do so inadvertently - but if so, aren't hard times more simply the direct result of good times? And given the list of "hard times" I gave earlier, how many of them could be prevented by a generation of "strong" men?
The only way that the aphorism explains history is by reinforcing confirmation bias - by seeming to confirm what we already believe about the state of the world and the causes behind it. Only those worried about a perceived crisis in masculinity are likely to care about the notion of "weak men" and what trouble they might cause. Only those who wish to see themselves or specific others as "strong men" are likely to believe that the mere existence of such men will bring about a better world. This has nothing to do with history and everything with stereotypes, prejudice and bias. It started as a baseless morality tale, and that is what it still is.

Users who are viewing this thread