Shameless School - Vol. 5 Ch. 46 - Aa, Shameless School (First Part)

Dex-chan lover
I have a question: These chapters were published during the Vietnam War. At that time, were there forces in society in Japan that were essentially promoting a new war? With these war chapters, I feel like Nagai, aside from hating the people who criticized and wanted to censor him, also wanted to make a clear political statement. Those who couldn't cope with the defeat in World War II now want to send a new generation to war who have nothing to do with it. Nagai himself was born just a few days after the end of the war. The scene in the last chapter where the teacher sends the first graders to their deaths also had these vibes. They are supposed to be "good kids", which can also be seen as a representation of patrionism and willingness to sacrifice for the country. And only when he himself dies on the battlefield does he realize how wrong that is. And apparently the same people who wants this are the one who get upset about perverted scenes in a manga.

These chapters were really shocking. I'm now noticing that Ikidomari and Ayu don't appear on any of the later volume covers. Then unfortunately they won't be saved by a miracle after all, nor will Macaroni and Yamagishi's parents.

I'm surprised at how many good jokes Nagai still includes despite the depressive tone. How the teachers just wanted to end the manga in the last chapter. And of course how he completely gives a shit about copyright.

Thank you for translating this legendary manga.

Power Uploader
I have a question: These chapters were published during the Vietnam War. At that time, were there forces in society in Japan that were essentially promoting a new war? With these war chapters, I feel like Nagai, aside from hating the people who criticized and wanted to censor him, also wanted to make a clear political statement. Those who couldn't cope with the defeat in World War II now want to send a new generation to war who have nothing to do with it.
When I was reading this I felt very much that this all is anti war. Don't think Nagai has stated anything else but, this "war" came about because of the criticism and PTA protest (where they even burned the manga). The criticism was mainly towards his works depiction of outrageous teachers and not so much about the pervertedness. So he basically just said "FU, I do what I want to do" and started the war so he could "went his anger". In his words the war is depiction of bitter irony on the education system of the time and his belief that ugly human desires and biased ideology are the causes of war.

In my words limiting freedom of expression is the cause for this war.

I have a question: These chapters were published during the Vietnam War. At that time, were there forces in society in Japan that were essentially promoting a new war? With these war chapters, I feel like Nagai, aside from hating the people who criticized and wanted to censor him, also wanted to make a clear political statement. Those who couldn't cope with the defeat in World War II now want to send a new generation to war who have nothing to do with it. Nagai himself was born just a few days after the end of the war. The scene in the last chapter where the teacher sends the first graders to their deaths also had these vibes. They are supposed to be "good kids", which can also be seen as a representation of patrionism and willingness to sacrifice for the country. And only when he himself dies on the battlefield does he realize how wrong that is. And apparently the same people who wants this are the one who get upset about perverted scenes in a manga.
Japan wasn't very involved in Vietnam and there wasn't much call for war from any quarter by then. While some small leftist and fascist groups still committed violence, the communists were the last large group to call for civil war and had stopped years prior.

Much more salient were the massive 1968-1969 student protests, which led to campus and street violence, the occupation of hundreds of campus buildings by students, and the eventual police siege of the University of Tokyo.

Last edited:
I'm losing it at that blatant Lupin knock-off on that page at the end (by the way thanks for including those, these peaks into Jump's history are really fascinating) and the fact they believed in it enough to declare the artist a top talent alongside the other 4.

Users who are viewing this thread