Ochikobore Kenshi, Tsuihousareta no de Majutsushi ni Tenkou suru - Kenshi no Toki wa Gomi Skill datta "Zettai Kioku" wa Majutsushi ni Totte wa Kami S…

Dex-chan lover
Dessert naming still but its ok Tangerine is cute it does make me wonder thou... whay kind of wacky name will this lady on yhr volume cover have since I presume shes related to cream

Dex-chan lover
Why did the creator of Tangerine make her so eager to get into a mixed bath?

Dex-chan lover
OK I know I accused the author of giving the MC a loli so people would call him a creep, however I didn't expect author-san to lean into it and make said loli into a walking talking misunderstanding event generator.

Well played author-san, well played.

Dex-chan lover
wouldnt it better if you clean the house and then take a bath later, since you know youll get dirty again after cleaning the house

Dex-chan lover
I stg I thought he was grabbing tangerines cheeks and not giving her a hug

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes I wonder if the names should stay in Japanese. Dragonball got away with names like Gohan, Vegeta, Kakarot...

Group Leader
Sometimes I wonder if the names should stay in Japanese. Dragonball got away with names like Gohan, Vegeta, Kakarot...
While I understand and fully support your point, the choice of names for that argument couldn't have been worse. Those names are actually westernized, as they are wasei-eigo (Japanese words derived from English but not exactly the same). For instance, Kakarot is actually Kakarotto, while carrot is Ninjin in Japanese. Similarly, Vegeta is Bejīta in Japanese, whereas vegetables are called yasai. These names were coined by Toriyama based on English words, adapted into Japanese characters to approximate their sounds.

Most names in this manga fall under gairaigo (Japanese words borrowed from a foreign language i.e. English) or wasei-eigo. For example, if we keep Ice Cream's name in Japanese, it would be pronounced as "aisu kurīmu," sounding identical to "Ice Cream." Since the pronunciation is the same, it makes little sense to confuse readers by keeping them in their original forms. However, some letters produce sounds that do not exist in Japanese, and so they are forced to use characters that produce similar sounds. This was the case with "Purin" or "Pudding." The sound for the letter "D" does not exist in Japanese, so when the word was transferred over, it was spelled slightly differently.

However, there was one exception that was not a English gairaigo or wasei-eigo. The only exception in this manga is Tangerine, whose word originates from Chinese rather than English. I conducted a poll to decide whether to keep the name as Mikan (the Chinese name) or change it to Tangerine to match the others. Since nobody voted for Mikan, I opted for Tangerine.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Group Leader
Also technically the letter "d" does exist in japanese but it is laminal not denti-alveolar.

Users who are viewing this thread