Nihonkoku Shoukan - Ch. 42 - The Imperial Army Military Base

Dex-chan lover
They couldn't deploy Wyverns because the runway was destroyed? Why would a wyvern need a runway?
They don't have fixed wings like planes, they just flap. Surely the wild ones don't have runways.
Bigger birds typically need a running start to get to flight and no bird comes even close to a wyvern scale. It makes absolute sense that such a big flying creature as a wyvern would need a pretty long and level piece of ground to actually take off for the exact same reasons a plane does. They also do mention that it takes "magic" to get them up, that could mean some kind of external device or mage that they use to help them up which would make sense and would also be impossible to use if the place is shot up. Of course the later point might also mean the wyverns themselves take time to build up some internal magic for flight.

Dex-chan lover
I do get what you are saying. I'm betting the runway is built on uneven terrain due to the inconsistencies. After rechecking the other pages, the runway is built on the side of cliff so inconsistencies on the effect of damage is going to happen anyway. As for the craters thou, it's more likely the mangaka lack a bit of research in the explosive area. But at least it's not Hollywood bombs where they actually add a few gallons of gas in the explosives to make a fire ball of death and destruction.

At least the explosives aren't similar to RPG-2 rounds where strapping a bunch of wood sheets on an APC renders it worthless. No seriously, they did this to our APCs in my country. Here's proof:

I'm not sure how effective, actually in the field, wooden armor was that the Philippine vehicles had back during the Battle of Marawi and whatnot. I managed to find a video of a Filipino M113 with "improvised armor" (it didn't say what kind and I couldn't tell from the video) getting hit by an RPG-2 and it immediately reversing out of the area showing that the vehicle was not disabled and the crew, at least the driver, were unharmed.

Speaking just in scientific terms, you can have the jets of HEAT rounds still penetrating quite the amount of armor even on stand-off ranges of 1-3 feet. And wood isn't exactly a good substance for disrupting the jet of HEAT rounds, especially not with the thickness used.

Part of me wonders, however, that if it did protect against RPG-2s if it was something other than stand-off or armor properties. Like if the RPG-2 rockets just tended to hit the wood and get somewhat deflected hitting such a soft (relatively) substance and it throwing off the angle at which the jet flew. If you're firing straight on at a 90-degree angle with an RPG-2 but when the rocket hits the wood throws off the rocket's trajectory and caused it from detonating as quickly as if it hit something more solid, it would end up protecting the vehicle, but not in the way that might be intended.

Dex-chan lover
They couldn't deploy Wyverns because the runway was destroyed? Why would a wyvern need a runway?
They don't have fixed wings like planes, they just flap. Surely the wild ones don't have runways.
In the light novel it's explained the Wyvern Overlords are a type of weird, selectively bred kind of Wyvern that needs to get a running start to fly. You're supposed to think of them as jets with no VTOL capabilities.
Add that they use magic power for their flight and the selectively bred wyvern lords and overlords are not efficient with their use and waste a lot to take flight. The runways have magic stones buried to supplement their magic power and save on 'fuel' and take off distance. They'd possibly take off from a longer or unprepared runway, but I'm sure author/mangaka or someone else would counter argument that like some military planes are not made to take off from such unprepared runways or the bred wyverns would stumble, fall and break their necks on such runways.

The more this goes on the more I feel they should be grateful it's not USA that got Isekai'd
USA: FREEDOM!!!!
Russia: Special Operation to save the ethnic Russians that have been living in the other world and calling for annexation!!!
China: They are just a rebellious province that needs to be reunited peacefully, they were already part of China to begin with!!!

They got an airbase after liberating Altaras, from chapter 38, just south of Palpadia. So it's not that far away.
That planet is 2.5 times bigger than Earth, can't remember if it was mentioned in the manga, but everything is much farther. Perusing the LN map and the scale in it. Even from the airbase located outside the capital LeBries at the northern most edge of Altaras flying north to Palpadia's Esthirant it's almost 1000km or 539 nautical miles. From western most Okinawa unless they made use of the further west islands to Esthirant it's almost 3000km.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure how effective, actually in the field, wooden armor was that the Philippine vehicles had back during the Battle of Marawi and whatnot. I managed to find a video of a Filipino M113 with "improvised armor" (it didn't say what kind and I couldn't tell from the video) getting hit by an RPG-2 and it immediately reversing out of the area showing that the vehicle was not disabled and the crew, at least the driver, were unharmed.

Speaking just in scientific terms, you can have the jets of HEAT rounds still penetrating quite the amount of armor even on stand-off ranges of 1-3 feet. And wood isn't exactly a good substance for disrupting the jet of HEAT rounds, especially not with the thickness used.

Part of me wonders, however, that if it did protect against RPG-2s if it was something other than stand-off or armor properties. Like if the RPG-2 rockets just tended to hit the wood and get somewhat deflected hitting such a soft (relatively) substance and it throwing off the angle at which the jet flew. If you're firing straight on at a 90-degree angle with an RPG-2 but when the rocket hits the wood throws off the rocket's trajectory and caused it from detonating as quickly as if it hit something more solid, it would end up protecting the vehicle, but not in the way that might be intended.
Much less than wood in material density, wire mesh has been used as protection against shaped-charge warheads. The idea was to get the warhead to detonate some distance away from the hull. I'm not sure though if the distance has to be empty space or air, or it didn't matter and it could be solid wood, spare tank tracks, or sandbags.

Dex-chan lover
Nonexistent.

J4mPTwG.png
Yes i forgor. I derped out. I am big dumdum.

Dex-chan lover

The real question would be, are they really using HEAT thou? There's some reports that some of the explosive used against the Philippine Army at the siege of Marawi are mostly composed of improvised explosives. Do they have time to verify that? Not really as there were still civilians in the area and the longer they are there, the more likely they'll be killed due to the fighting.

Either way, it did the job as it would cost time for the Philippine Army to repair the damage on those old APCs. Much so when a few of them are extremely outdated and obtaining parts for it will be extremely difficult.

Dex-chan lover
Much less than wood in material density, wire mesh has been used as protection against shaped-charge warheads. The idea was to get the warhead to detonate some distance away from the hull. I'm not sure though if the distance has to be empty space or air, or it didn't matter and it could be solid wood, spare tank tracks, or sandbags.

Wire mesh and slats protect by catching the rocket. In that case, it's not even meant to detonate (you can find pictures of RPG rockets stuck in slat armor and that's it doing its job as intended; same goes for mesh if it works). And usually doesn't. And if it does, it's usually not at an optimal angle.

Again, shaped charge jets can still pose a threat to armor ~3 feet away. And 1-4 inches of wood, let alone put right up against the armor, is not going to provide any standoff protection. In fact, some HEAT projectiles have a standoff probe to PURPOSELY detonate not directly on the armor so that jet formation has more time to be formed consistently and reliably. The Panzerfaust 3 has standoff nose probes for exactly this reason and it vastly improves the penetration of the warhead.

Now, again, going back to what I said, if the jet is not forming correctly due to it hitting wood or the rocket/projectile is being diverted upon hitting the wood, it's still somewhat protecting the vehicle - but it has nothing to do with actual armor properties or standoff

Dex-chan lover
First of all... what in the holy fuck is with CRATERS IN WOOD SURFACES?! Not only that, but it has CRATERS right next to blown apart wood. Why... why did the mangaka do that?
Because it isn't a crater in the wood surface, it's a crater in the rock below. You can see the splintered wood at the lip of the craters. We then can see the wooden lattice of the part extending off the ground in the foreground, being completely destroyed and super splintered.

Secondly, I was curious as to find the range to their country from Japan and thankfully the F-2s are a good example of that. With their exact loadout and no bags (I had to jettison the tanks in CMANO) you're looking at a ~374nm range. Meaning full range. So you'd have to have the target at 187nm at the absolute maximum.

Now, yes, Japan DOES have aerial tankers... but not very fucking many. And it wouldn't make sense to not have externals on the aircraft in that case.

That would make for the alternate theory being these F-2s took from really, really, REALLY close to the target country. Which... I doubt is the case.

And, oh, this is the absolute best-case scenario. You'd probably take more than 90 seconds to take off and get up to 12,000. And you'd probably use a shitload more fuel than what this represents, so much less than 187nm combat radius.

J4m0eK7.jpg
No idea how you input things here, but it's way off base (first guess would be looking at speed and the fact you're saying you jettisoned tanks). They have a combat range of 627 nautical miles with a 1,247 lb. payload at 477 knots (548.55 mph) over 2.75 hours, with a combat speed of 1110 knots (1276.5 mph). External fuel tanks also almost double their capacity, from 1,073 gallons to 1,813 gallons. https://web.archive.org/web/2022100...SAC/F-16C_Block_32_Falcon_CS_-_March_1991.pdf

In the light novel it's explained the Wyvern Overlords are a type of weird, selectively bred kind of Wyvern that needs to get a running start to fly. You're supposed to think of them as jets with no VTOL capabilities.
Bigger birds typically need a running start to get to flight and no bird comes even close to a wyvern scale. It makes absolute sense that such a big flying creature as a wyvern would need a pretty long and level piece of ground to actually take off for the exact same reasons a plane does. They also do mention that it takes "magic" to get them up, that could mean some kind of external device or mage that they use to help them up which would make sense and would also be impossible to use if the place is shot up. Of course the later point might also mean the wyverns themselves take time to build up some internal magic for flight.
Yup. They're selectively bred for size to the point that they can no longer take off under their own power, and need to taxi for forward momentum before they can fly. As for the magic bit, pretty sure that it's in reference to internal magic, rather than a mage or cabal of mages needed to fly every single time; though, it could be they are enchanted, or their gear is enchanted, so it's a one-and-done sort of deal.

Dex-chan lover
Love the story but yeesh... the art is hideous. Like something from the 80s or early 90s.
it does remind me of something like the rose of versaille. i wonder if it's voluntarily, i mean take a setting and graphic style of something like the rose of versaille, and F it up with modern military and theme, kind of like a parody?

MD@Home
First of all... what in the holy fuck is with CRATERS IN WOOD SURFACES?! Not only that, but it has CRATERS right next to blown apart wood. Why... why did the mangaka do that?

Secondly, I was curious as to find the range to their country from Japan and thankfully the F-2s are a good example of that. With their exact loadout and no bags (I had to jettison the tanks in CMANO) you're looking at a ~374nm range. Meaning full range. So you'd have to have the target at 187nm at the absolute maximum.

Now, yes, Japan DOES have aerial tankers... but not very fucking many. And it wouldn't make sense to not have externals on the aircraft in that case.

That would make for the alternate theory being these F-2s took from really, really, REALLY close to the target country. Which... I doubt is the case.

And, oh, this is the absolute best-case scenario. You'd probably take more than 90 seconds to take off and get up to 12,000. And you'd probably use a shitload more fuel than what this represents, so much less than 187nm combat radius.

J4m0eK7.jpg
well, they did make a landing field on that island close to the empire exactly so they had short range to the empire....

Dex-chan lover
Actually, in the WN short story "The Legend of Dragon", making a Wyvern takeoff vertically is a unique skill from a Lourian Wyvern Knight named Muller. I guess after the story, he shared that to Reckmeyer, a Parpaldian Wyvern Lord Knight. BTW, the Legend of Dragon WN short story happened after the Japan-Parpaldia War.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread