Ikoku Nikki - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - page.18

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the scanlation! This is most likely top ongoing manga so I'm always excited when I see an update. It also seems like a difficult translation job, since it is rather verbose but also a lot of nuance and depth that the translator has to be careful with. So props!

As for all the speculation on Emiri's orientation, I think what makes this manga so interesting is that it is not so quick to lay everything out for the reader, or at least settle things into neat categories. I think this is certainly a manga that explores "queer" lives, in that "queer" meaning non-normative. From the non-normative guardian-child relationship between Asa and Makio, to the ways Asa and Emiri both question the normative tracks and desires expected of them from school and family, to Makio's refusal to live the normative lives expected of her from her mother and sister (and it remains ambiguous if her sister also led a life that deviated from norms (not married? but with child?)), to Makio's own uncertainty about the institutionalization of long-term relationships: these all try to disorient us away from what we value as normative forms of kinship, friendship, and love. I think the manga does a great job in showing the frictions of trying to care for others even if you feel alienated or foreign to them. At the same time the manga illustrates how the pursuit of caring for others, be it either as friends, mentors, or lovers, is still worth the risk of traveling beyond what you think is familiar or normal, to move toward some foreign horizon.

Dex-chan lover
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Makio's analogies of stories giving you shelter and taking you to a "different country" is a title drop.

I see that certain demographic had already smelled the blood. The excitement is rather cringy, it's sad to see how badly some people need self-insert representation in every story they're reading to enjoy it, instead of being able to so in abstraction to their own experience.

Dex-chan lover
@nonameanonymous82435 geez one might think that it's upsetting you that people are even talking about it so you call it cringy and sad out of spite (because I doubt there's a way to talk about it without you finding it problematic)... Why do you assume that they're self inserting in the story? I don't think any of them have claimed to be homosexual high schooler before making their post or that they only consume works with "Representation"

Aggregator gang
I don’t know what there is to debate here about Emiri. The author isn’t exactly being subtle. Read the Wiki on Fried Green Tomatoes if you doubt it.

Dex-chan lover
People complain about being "in your face" with LGBT themes, but clearly when authors try to be even vaguely subtly you get the same people being up in arms about how it's totally-not-actually-absolutely-not-what-it-obviously-is.

@Pyoro
"People complain about being "in your face" with LGBT themes, but clearly when authors try to be even vaguely subtly you get the same people being up in arms about how it's totally-not-actually-absolutely-not-what-it-obviously-is."

I can only assume that you're referring to my less than entusiastic comment, so be a dear and point out which part of what I wrote stated what you're accusing me of.

Go on.

Dex-chan lover
Mr. Lawyer is feeling more and more like a potential love interest. Tbh I can roll with that, the other dude's pretty boring and I find the idea of Makio introducing a grown man to the wonders of fiction really cute.

Reading through the comments made me second guess myself. I already had Emiri filed away in my mind as lesbian/ bi and I had to go back to find the page that made me think that:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/793876/8

I have to agree with the people saying the author hasn't been that subtle. The reaction of Emiri's mom is pretty dead-on when it comes to parental cluelessness.

@nonameanonymous82435
The only one being cringey here is you. "so be a dear" LMAO. Forget the fact that this work originally had a shoujo ai tag on this website, take a look at the author's other titles. I don't know how you can compare people discussing Emiri's orientation to a pack of starving wolves. Given the author's history and the "hints" she's dropped thus far, speculation that Emiri likes girls is hardly the product of desperation.

@Betony
What history, penning yaoi left and right? You're not all in the knows as far as targeted demographics for that genre's concerned, aren't you? Or who writes it?

"Forget the fact that this work originally had a shoujo ai"
Absolutely not. It'd brought here whole bunch of people who wouldn't be reading this title otherwise. The've stayed, and now they're salivating over the fact that "ther gurl" is here. It'd already happened several chapters earlier when there was only one throwaway line to go by about this particular issue, line uttered by a character who on top of everything was supposed to be 12 or 13 at the time.

You've already set up the precedent for deviating a discussion.

And oh, identical thing happened with that other manga about a widow and a sister which had seen the same type of mistagging as this title.

"speculation that Emiri likes girls is hardly the product of desperation."
And this pertains as to which specific part - including context - of what I'd written in that retrospectively unfortunate post? Dear?

Dex-chan lover
@nonameanonymous82435
"I see that certain demographic had already smelled the blood."
Then would you mind breaking down the above quote? Particularly, who you meant by "that certain demographic".

Also, I'm disappointed you never responded to Serenata's earlier post. You come across as extremely bitter and I'm curious as to what motivates you to lash out at people who think Emiri might be gay. The author's history of writing gay characters, the page I previously linked, and the Fried Green Tomatoes reference makes me think it's a fair discussion to have. If you think otherwise, it'd be helpful if you used actual sources to support your claims instead of resorting to condescension.

@Betony
I'm sorry, now I see that you're generally clueless because you keep bringing up BL - which has nothing to do with nothing - and ignoring other things which I've written. There will be no further replies to you.

Actually, there will be no further replies to anyone else, except for maybe Pyoro if they'll keep twisting my words.

As for the "Serenata" person, only on the off chance that she might actually see this and hopefully stop pinging me in the future - I had her blocked here since day one ; similarly to several other dynasty forum "celebrities". Must say though, her specifically having a problem with my post can only come off as hypocritical given her internet history (if not here, then definitelly on ds).

Dex-chan lover
@nonameanonymous82435
Now you're running away without even explaining your stance on "BL", and getting mad at me for not arguing on the same ground of said nebulous stance...? All I can guess is that you've never read any shounen ai by authors who have also written lesbian characters into their stories, and your narrow perspective is causing you to be so bullheaded on such a non-issue.

Ah well, that bizarre diatribe about @Serenata just illuminates the fact that you were never here for a proper discussion about the manga and just like to attack people.

(sorry if my @ seems unwarranted Serenata, just thought it might be useful for you to know in the future that this coward is especially not worth the effort of engaging because they have you blocked)

Dex-chan lover
It's fine, now I understand he just wanted to attack the people and ignore the story itself, I mean he even thinks that Living With My Brother's Wife isn't trying to tease Yuri lovers lo/

It is a waste of everyone's time trying to talk with him so I guess we just block him and continue enjoying this story normally. I don't think Hi Ma Mata Noburo enjoys these fights, not when the manga gives so much to talk about.

I've read 90% of Tomoko Yamashita's works including BL ones and have followed her twitter account.
She has consistently, if not always, depicted sexuality and feminism in her manga.
She also showed how stressful to live in the homogeneous society.
She often talks about politics and social issues on Twitter as well. She also had an interview on a magazine featuring feminism.
This is not the best word to describe her at all, but yeah, I can say she's "progressive" author in that kind of sense.

I don't think it's weird that at this age she thinks who she views attractive or considers sexuality. I remember being 15 and my friends talking about boys and who is handsome, while my ace ass was as clueless as ever. And supprise supprise, at 24 I have still no idea what sexual attraction feels like.

Users who are viewing this thread