MangaDex Forums

Remocracy
Remocracy
Now the reason I have to hardcode things is that properties are like columns. So if my bot wants to add a MyAnimeList ID, I need to find the property ID for that and then hardcode it. And my bot is using like 15 properties and enum values are item IDs so I need to hardcode those too, leading to a 40-value enum with hardcoded ID values.
Tristan__
Tristan__
You do realize you can do that with an actual normal database too, right? Wikidata just uses MySQL too
Remocracy
Remocracy
The other problem is that there is a testing environment but the properties and item values are not the same and so I can't actually use the testing environment unless I go ahead and hardcode an entirely different set of values for that environment, and when you're working with 60 hardcoded values that becomes difficult
Proxymiity
Proxymiity
And my bot is using like 15 properties and enum values are item IDs so I need to hardcode those too, leading to a 40-value enum with hardcoded ID values.
This doesn't mean you should not be careful with your data.
Remocracy
Remocracy
You do realize you can do that with an actual normal database too
The reason I'm working on adding data there is that they have a superb querying system that I haven't seen anywhere else. Furthermore I'd have to actually maintain my own database which is not easy
Remocracy
Remocracy
This doesn't mean you should not be careful with your data.
I've never actually worked with complex multiplatform data so I really have no idea how to deal with that.
Proxymiity
Proxymiity
maintain my own database which is not easy
Code:
apt install default-mysql-server
systemctl enable mysql --now
Remocracy
Remocracy
I mean actually make a schema and fill it with meaningful data. I could copy MangaDex's data but at that point why bother?
Tristan__
Tristan__
they have a superb querying system that I haven't seen anywhere else
Y-you do know that's the reason why SQL exists... and then there is still Elasticsearch
Furthermore I'd have to actually maintain my own database which is not easy
Skill issue bruh
Remocracy
Remocracy
Remocracy
Remocracy
Well regardless of how I got there I did actually start improving the world of “open data” so that counts for something
Proxymiity
Proxymiity
I mean actually make a schema
It's getting quite easy with software these days...
datagrip64_Vjf8RM.png
Tristan__
Tristan__
Remocracy
Remocracy
It's getting quite easy with software these days...
My problem is that I want to have a easy way to go from MD ID to MAL ID so I can auto mark as read.
Remocracy
Remocracy
I could go through the effort of collecting and maintaining the data but it feels like such a waste maintaining such a dataset for something I might write and forget, not to mention if I wanted to query something else I’d have to go out of my way to modify the schema and rerun data collection.
Tristan__
Tristan__
It's not a problem tho? Just get the MAL id from the title's data
Remocracy
Remocracy
It's not a problem tho? Just get the MAL id from the title's data
Try doing that with 3000 MangaDex IDs. Wikidata let’s me have that in a simple CSV file. With the API I’d have to write code to batch the requests and make a mapping.
Proxymiity
Proxymiity
My problem is that I want to have a easy way to go from MD ID to MAL ID so I can auto mark as read.
No one:
MangaDex API: "Am I a joke to you?"

firefox_jvk8aG.png
Remocracy
Remocracy
Also Wikidata let’s me pull any of the other IDs, their sequels, and I can do this for as many items as I want.