2.5 Dimensional Seduction - Vol. 12 Ch. 93 - 2.5 Dimensional Costume

Contributor
Thinking about it again, must be costly to make a costume that not only looks very alike the original, but also usable in daily life like a normal clothing (not the one that's very revealing of course, unless 😳)
Thank goodness for that school club budget right?

Dex-chan lover
This is partially lost in translation. When referring to cosplay here, it is firmly in reference to cosplay as a concept (like the spirit of cosplay), as opposed to cosplay 'things'. The term cosplay does not carry the same connotations in Japanese as it's a made up word. Unlike English speakers who associate the term with "costume" even if you don't know it originated as "costume play", they refer to it as an action or concept first, before it is a noun. Their English literacy is poor, so they don't make the automatic word connection, even if they know about it factually. In that concept, as you guys already know, "cosplay" is referring to embodying that character.

What she refers to here is that normally you "put on clothes", even up to the level of haute couture, and THEN you do "cosplay". But Lilysa's "cosplay" begins with the clothes she makes, therefore Saitoh refers to the making and putting on of the costumes as "cosplay".

Because "cosplay" can be used like a noun and also just refer to the costume in Japanese, like in English, this is difference is a fairly subtle one that comes down to the initial impression you get due to the connotations you perceive. That's why you kind of get it, just that it feels odd. You're forced to switch your perspective, in order for it to make sense, while to a Japanese reader it's automatic.
Yeah, this is one of the things that you see when you're exposed to Japanese text a lot. Especially with 和製英語 and the like, Japan tends to be quite... liberal with its usage of foreign words, and it doesn't always translate well.

Dex-chan lover
Ok so this is kinda unrelated but there was this cosplayer just debut as an AV actress and she did a Lilliel cosplay, thats all

STARSBD-799

Also pls dont ask why I know💀

Dex-chan lover
...how tf does Lilysa afford any of this again?!
A lot of it appears to just be her hard work. She spends extra effort and time that a professional won't. Saitou is only using the cost as one example of of a factor she has to consider, but Lilysa doesn't.

The paper mache is a good example. It's cheap, but you'll probably have to redo it a number of times if you're making something you never made before, so it's very time-consuming.

And even on cost, I'll bet her costumes are still cheaper than the ones Saitoh makes, even if you only consider material cost. Lilysa appears to be very good at scrounging...she would have to be. For example, she could have used her own Heattech she collected over time either personally (it's cheap and ubiquitous enough that after a few years some people might find they got loads of it lying around), or using club funds over time whenever there was a surplus in the past. Meanwhile, Saitoh has to factor the cost of stuff like that into the price of her commissions, even if she keeps stock on hand.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
i kinda feel with Saitoh.. as a person knows dressmaking, most of the cosplays i saw are not that good in terms of being clothes..
some of them really looks one-time use too.. most of them are uncomfortable..
making clothes that are uncomfortable really doesn't mix well with me..

PS: nvm.. Saitoh is opposite of me.. lmao

Users who are viewing this thread