21st Century Boys - Vol. 2 Ch. 16

Fed-Kun's army
I guess he's the rumored ghost in the science lab, Katsumata kun who always disects carp. I think this whole other_friend thing started when Fukubei/Hattori/Original_friend tried the hanging trick in the science lab. He actually died, and was possessed and then saved/ressurected by Katsumata kun. Hence the mysterious appearances of a fourth boy, and the esp powers, and noperabo etc.
But yeah, such a huge buildup of story line and I feel like the ending just fizzled out, it was not fleshed out. But still many open points I dont understand, What happened to the original laser gun? or was it fake like the original robot? How did the mom who is a microbiologist, not realise she was being experimented on? Kannas power? etc

Double-page supporter
@LeannaCR
That kinda was the point, he was essentially unpersoned by his entire school for being Kenji's scapegoat for stealing the badge. Then when Fukubei started his Friend cult, he reached out to the two people that almost no one could suspect: Sadakiyo, who was almost entirely forgotten, and Katsumata who "died". That was one of the reasons why Donkey was killed, he saw all three of them in the science lab.

@gr8g
Katsumata was the one who wanted to dissect the carp but "died", yes. But no one actually died during Fukubei's "miracle in the science lab", except for him maybe almost killing himself. If I had to make a guess, the ESP that Fukubei, and thus Kanna, had were the results of him getting people to try to make him more "special", since he only had the gift of manipulation and slight of hand as a child (maybe, it's still unclear).

The real laser gun was probably also a fake at the time, like the original robot. And Kanna's mom was probably aware, but didn't really care since she was more interested in making the supervirus. There's probably more in the "director's cut" of the manga, in addition to the altered ending, but that hasn't been translated/scanned/released in English yet.

Kenji said he used the laser gun very early in the manga. After he started fighting against the friend party. He said it was just a weak stun gun. Any use happened offscreen.

Double-page supporter
What a way to end it man... I'm really gonna miss this series

Double-page supporter
That manga was amazing, I really loved it ! Now go read Monster, another masterpiece made by Urasawa !

Dex-chan lover
wow, so it was in fact Katsumata (the science room ghost)... we didn't get too much backstory on him or even why he was wearing that mask, but at least I made a correct prediction. Cool ending, overall.

Come on. What the hell happened with Katsumata?

In the science room prank, only Fukubei, Yamane and Sada was there with Donkey.

We thought Sadakiyo had died when child, but he just "died" by the rumor, due the bullying. Then Sada leaves the school, Fukubei become Friend, Yamane become his first minion... And what happened with Katsumata this whole time?

Worked thogheter with Fukubei?

That is the problem when a series is too long and the author had not the end prepared since the begining. It is clear that the mangaka asspulled some explanations (and new plots, like the history of the stolen badge) as long the series advanced from Arc to Arc.

Was katsumata also the first friend? he was right? they said the first friend became friend after fukubei died. Also I'm assuming that katsumata was the sadakiyo in the science room. What were the lies of 1970 and 1971? 1970 that fukubei didnt die when he hung himself? 1971 that fukubei and sadakiyo set up the teru teru bozu?
Overall i enjoyed it though, it gripped me right from the start and kept the intrigue and mystery throughout the story

man ... am going to miss this story. spent few days reading it all through from beginning to end and now am mentally exhausted, haha. that's how I know a story's been a great journey for me. thank you to the team Band of Hawks, Manga-Heaven, Joufu, and Obxist for scanlating + uploading 20th Century Boys and 21st Century Boys and obviously massive thanks and gratitude to Urasawa-sensei for this amazing journey!!

the story is great but
why did fukube couldn't see his face ,
thats what i want to know,
i want to understand fukube

Users who are viewing this thread