A toggle for display mode.

Dex-chan lover
Is there any way we could add a display type toggle function in the user settings to override the seemingly automated tendency to jump between desktop, and mobile mode when using a browser's zoom function? 🤥

Dex-chan lover
It's not really much of a issue now with the display settings I implemented, but I still dream of the day usernames with more then 13 digits don't take up 2 lines, and when my username or guest was visible next to the profile menu icon. 😇

I'm not even sure if being able to disable the automated desktop/mobile display function widget would help my issues. Perhaps something similar to the ability to designate thumbnail size like desktop icon size would work better then zoom, and font size settings. 😕

If it helps any my display is a 24 inch LCD TV set at 1920x1080 resolution in landscape mode.

Double-page supporter
It's not automated per se. The browser zoom feature works by stretching pixels, so your 1920 becomes 960 at 200% zoom. When websites see that, they think you're using a mobile device and display an appropriate style, if there's one. You could zoom text only to circumvent this behavior.

In Firefox options, set zoom to affect text only:
xbDBx0z.png

For Chrome, use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zoom-text-only/jamhfhbppcmkgghlkeieococonlbppjg/related

Dex-chan lover
@halo
That makes sense! I've been using 110-125% zoom for a while and most sites just enlarge a bit and if some border area is lost it's nbd. I guess they don't optimize according to detected resolution specs. I was using Opera because it seemed to render the page with larger images and text even without manually changing settings, while Firefox, and Chrome rendered everything much smaller, but it started shrinking everything also (and becoming unresponsive frequently) so I'm currently using Edge at 125% zoom and custom max/min font sizes to compensate for the display type going from landscape to portrait when I go up to 110%. If the site stayed landscape I could live without some of the black bars on the sides. 😄

Double-page supporter
@Ivegotnolife
The rendering discrepancy was probably because of the default font size. In Firefox, Chrome and most other browsers it's 16 pixels. In Opera, the default font size is (or was) 20 pixels, according to some ancient stackoverflow answers. Websites, if they were made by sane people, use this font size to base the measurements of elements: boxes, images, text etc.

MangaDex when default font size is 20:
AEm37G9.png

Dex-chan lover
@halo
Oh so that's why using the custom font sizes seem to work better then the usual font size options and zoom. Perhaps just increasing the font size while the page is displayed in desktop landscape 100% would improve the itty bitty thumbnail image and text issue better. 🤔 I may try that with another browser.

Double-page supporter
@Ivegotnolife
Sadly, absolute units were used for thumbnail sizing, so changing the default font size wont do anything.

If you're using uBlock Origin, you can just add a custom a rule and increase their size directly:
uBlock Origin options > my filters > add this:

Code:
mangadex.org##div.sm_md_logo:style(width: 10rem !important; height: 13rem !important;)
mangadex.org##div.sm_md_logo a img:style(min-width: 100%;)

mangadex.org##div.tiny_logo:style(width: 5rem !important; height: 7rem !important;)
mangadex.org##div.tiny_logo a img:style(min-width: 100%;)
1 rem = 1 browser font size (16 pixels by default)

Bonus point: forcing rems will allow font size options to take an affect.

how it looks:
v7TC5cN.png

Dex-chan lover
@halo
I dabbled with the font sizes in Firefox, and discovered while the main structures of the page resized with the fonts. Like you say now that I read your newwest post. At 20 -24 the site looks great on my screen other then the disproportionatly tiny images.
The image you posted looks much better, and if possible the images are a bit bigger then I need.
I suppose Ublock will work on Edge while in private mode? It seems edge restricts exstensions more in private so I may go back to Firefox, or Opera.
Does a filter script like your example also work in other adblocker browser functions and exstensions? It seems Firefox, and Opera may have built in adblockers and vpn.🤔

Now that I think of it I guess I just got used to the site rendering based on 20 pixel fonts, but that changed. 😅

Double-page supporter
@Ivegotnolife never used edge, but:
https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/ublock-origin/odfafepnkmbhccpbejgmiehpchacaeak
and https://winaero.com/enable-extensions-private-mode-edge/

I think only uBlock Origin supports this style shenanigans. Alternatively, this could be done with a userscript or userstyles, but these too would require an addon.

If it's too big, experiment with the size: from 10rem and 13rem to 8rem and 11rem, for instance.

Dex-chan lover
@halo
Cool! The filters with Ublock and font settings in Firefox helped alot after I found the right amount of ren to get the sizes right. I'll probably stick with Firefox, but May dabble in it with the other browsers too because I do like Edge's features a slider type custom font size function.

Thanks for the help! 😄 Now I need some sleep!

Users who are viewing this thread