Add Tabs To Author Pages That Allow You To Filter By Works Written/Works Drawn

Contributor
On Old MangaDex, when you clicked on an author's name from a series page, it would bring you to a search page showing all of the series written by that creator. Now, when you do so, it simply brings you to their author page, which shows you all of the series they've worked on, not just the ones they've written. (And the same for artists.) This is a loss in functionality. I asked about this in the AMA, and the proposed solution I got in response was that you could "probably" add tabs to the author pages to achieve this functionality, so here I am suggesting it.
However, I will be a bit more specific: there should be at least 3 tabs: 1. All Works, 2. Works Written, and 3. Works Drawn. Further, when you click on an author's name on a series page, it should take you to the Works Written tab, and when you click on an artist's name on a series page, it should take you to the Works Drawn tab. (The only way to start from the All Works tab would be to search for the creator or click their name from another creator's page.) I could see some pushback on this 2nd idea, thinking that you should always start on the All Works tab, but I just dont see why clicking on Kentarou Yabuki under "author" should take you to the exact same page as clicking on Kentarou Yabuki under "artist". Regardless, even if my desired solution isnt implemented exactly, adding those 3 tabs to the author pages would be so much better than it is now and would mostly ameliorate my biggest issue with New MangaDex over Old MD. Thanks.

Also, to be clear, I'm aware of advanced search, but that is infinitely more inconvenient than what was had before and this proposed solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Contributor
This has me scratching my head some as I really cannot think of a good use case for it. In my mind there are 3 scenarios that I am willing to bet cover a vast majority of authors/artists
  1. Works Written and Works Drawn are the same because the "individual" does both story and art for all their works
  2. Only content on Works Written because the "individual" only does story
  3. Only content on Works Drawn because the "individual" only does art
Would be interested in finding out what use cases others see for this feature.

Contributor
This has me scratching my head some as I really cannot think of a good use case for it. In my mind there are 3 scenarios that I am willing to bet cover a vast majority of authors/artists
  1. Works Written and Works Drawn are the same because the "individual" does both story and art for all their works
  2. Only content on Works Written because the "individual" only does story
  3. Only content on Works Drawn because the "individual" only does art
Would be interested in finding out what use cases others see for this feature.
While I agree that in the vast majority of cases, at least 2/3 of the tabs would be the same, there are plenty examples of a sometimes solo artist/writer only writing for a given series or only drawing for a given series. Ex: Kentarou Yabuki writes and draws Ayakashi Triangle but only drew To Love Ru. Midori Obiya writes and draws Starting Today, We're Childhood Friends but only writes No, Miyahara, Not You!. There are many such cases where at least 2 of the tabs are gonna be distinct and the feature would be extremely useful to have. And I guarantee there are a small but nonzero amount of creators where all 3 tabs would be distinct.

Edit: In fact, Midori Obiya is one such creator. As I said before, sometimes they're solo, sometimes they're just the writer, and as I found out from looking at MAL, sometimes they're just the the artist, as with Afterschool Minkowski. What if I only wanted to see series drawn by them to see the evolution of their art of time? What if I only wanted to see series written by them to see the various genres they've written over the years? Yes, there's advanced search, but it's not convenient like tabs right there on the author page would be. I'm telling you, this feature would be very useful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread