Ani no Yome to Kurashite Imasu. - Vol. 15 Ch. 147 - DIary.147

Dex-chan lover
I don't understand a thing but ..the feels 😭 what happened to the English translation group 😢

Dex-chan lover
The ending is satisfying, and I think the relationships and loose ends are handled well. Yet it also loses some of the momentum that would make the series a masterpiece. Now I'm 100% sure something went funky on the production side that brought this from masterpiece to something safer, more bumbling, and still fairly good.

The ending, up to the final scene in 147, feels conspicuously whiffed to weaken the preceding chapters:
  • Even carrying wedding rings was too gay, or Kuzushiro didn't want to show it. They are mentioned repeatedly then the story just sort of ends sitting on steps at the beach.
  • Nozomi's left hand was basically hidden the whole chapter.
  • Shino not going to pick out a ring(chain) Nozomi wanted to, and instead going with the male friend, was a bit telling too. I don't mind the het pairing, it just wasn't the time and was portrayed as rude.
  • 3 more chapters probably, so I've jumped the gun and mouthed off :shamihuh:
The story swerved quite a bit about 2/3 of the way in too.
  • Shino worked through the worst of her grief sooner, but she didn't have a major emotional arc after that. For the most part she had normal worries for going to college and losing a connection. She stopped being unique and became standardized.
  • Nozomi's decision to raise Shino turned out perfectly, zero issues, instead of mostly good with some issues. I doubt her development would be much different.
  • For over 100 chapters there was lots of subtext even when it felt weirdly inserted.
  • Then subtext dried up and was pretty much gone the last couple dozen chapters
  • Gay subtext that gets cut is objectively bad communication. Those spreads could have told us more about sisterhood, deeper than the small panels, but instead subtext muddied the waters. Monologues work either way but they probably could have been improved somewhere by not actively creating openings for subtext.
  • The les bait sharply decreases then vanishes right around when Kuzushiro started a series with main character lookalikes. With a different publisher.
  • The ending tied up all the family issues but toned down any toxicity pretty rapidly.
  • I think Heidi was underutilized near the end, just dragged in to be present a couple times, so why focus on his/their situation and set them up as a professional source of advice.
This reeks of business not wanting a profitable property to stay the course into queer topics and more contraversial handling of toxic incestuous feelings, when the plot was clearly about the main relationship slowly becoming healthier.

To be fair, the series may not have been able to run for 13 years if it didn't bait for most of that. And it would be hard to sell the landing if it went controversial. So profit was more important than consistency.

So that romance about lookalikes? The Moon On A Rainy Night is angsty and intersectional. Shino's lookalike is a self-conscious closeted pianist, Nozomi's lookalike is deaf, and their comedic timing is about the same. They are also different enough, more youthful and confused, and in different life situations so it's not a copy paste at all. Maybe like recasting actors?
Anyhow those are my thoughts I don't expect anyone to read. Like or:slap: or whatever to make my day.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The ending is satisfying, and I think the relationships and loose ends are handled well. Yet it also loses some of the momentum that would make the series a masterpiece. Now I'm 100% sure something went funky on the production side that brought this from masterpiece to something safer, more bumbling, and still fairly good.

The ending, up to the final scene in 147, feels conspicuously whiffed to weaken the preceding chapters:
  • Even carrying wedding rings was too gay, or Kuzushiro didn't want to show it. They are mentioned repeatedly then the story just sort of ends sitting on steps at the beach.
  • Nozomi's left hand was basically hidden the whole chapter.
  • Shino not going to pick out a ring(chain) Nozomi wanted to, and instead going with the male friend, was a bit telling too. I don't mind the het pairing, it just wasn't the time and was portrayed as rude.
The story swerved quite a bit about 2/3 of the way in too.
  • Shino worked through the worst of her grief sooner, but she didn't have a major emotional arc after that. For the most part she had normal worries for going to college and losing a connection. She stopped being unique and became standardized.
  • Nozomi's decision to raise Shino turned out perfectly, zero issues, instead of mostly good with some issues. I doubt her development would be much different.
  • For over 100 chapters there was lots of subtext even when it felt weirdly inserted.
  • Then subtext dried up and was pretty much gone the last couple dozen chapters
  • Gay subtext that gets cut is objectively bad communication. Those spreads could have told us more about sisterhood, deeper than the small panels, but instead subtext muddied the waters. Monologues work either way but they probably could have been improved somewhere by not actively creating openings for subtext.
  • The les bait sharply decreases then vanishes right around when Kuzushiro started a series with main character lookalikes. With a different publisher.
  • The ending tied up all the family issues but toned down any toxicity pretty rapidly.
  • I think Heidi was underutilized near the end, just dragged in to be present a couple times, so why focus on his/their situation and set them up as a professional source of advice.
This reeks of business not wanting a profitable property to stay the course into queer topics and more contraversial handling of toxic incestuous feelings, when the plot was clearly about the main relationship slowly becoming healthier.

To be fair, the series may not have been able to run for 13 years if it didn't bait for most of that. And it would be hard to sell the landing if it went controversial. So profit was more important than consistency.

So that romance about lookalikes? The Moon On A Rainy Night is angsty and intersectional. Shino's lookalike is a self-conscious closeted pianist, Nozomi's lookalike is deaf, and their comedic timing is about the same. They are also different enough, more youthful and confused, and in different life situations so it's not a copy paste at all. Maybe like recasting actors?
Anyhow those are my thoughts I don't expect anyone to read. Like or:slap: or whatever to make my day.
Wait a minute ... is this manga already complete ?

I thought your talking about the co-worker yuri manga when you talk about the look alike ..but I was wrong you mean the piano yuri huh? That sure have the same vibe..

But I knew this Ani no Yome will not have a yuri ending .. but I'm here for them to stay sister in law

And I haven't seen them reached that part without misunderstanding or without feeling insecure or have unpleasant thoughts/feeling .. I knew I should get my hopes up but...

Dex-chan lover
Wait a minute ... is this manga already complete ?

I thought your talking about the co-worker yuri manga when you talk about the look alike ..but I was wrong you mean the piano yuri huh? That sure have the same vibe..

But I knew this Ani no Yome will not have a yuri ending .. but I'm here for them to stay sister in law

And I haven't seen them reached that part without misunderstanding or without feeling insecure or have unpleasant thoughts/feeling .. I knew I should get my hopes up but...
You must be right and there's 3 more chapters. It's marked END over on here at 147, and English is up to 146. I muddled through 147 raw without understanding everything. Volumes are 10 chapters so it should end at 150. I don't see any plot left other than the rings and an epilogue. I'll strikethrough parts of the other post later.

So I'm a bit wrong, sorry, but most of that stands. This story took that subtle turn 2/3 in and it's still great and powerful. This ending would feel a bit more natural to me if the weird incest subtext moments had been cut way sooner, since they wasted space even if many readers don't notice.

The piano yuri is confirmed gay! It's fair to not trust the early visual storytelling about MC's discomfort from her prior piano teacher getting married. It may not be until a sign language scene (usual JSL marriage sign is man+woman and MC sadly thinks why can't it be like woman+woman) that the MC's internal monologue gets more upfront about LGBT topics. The main characters look more similar than Kuzushiro's range would suggest, with the Nozomi-lookalike having darker hair. And the personalities and mannerisms have some overlap, but are distinct enough to not be distracting. The scenario is totally different of course. I'm volumes behind, and don't see free chapters of the newest ones. So good though.

Users who are viewing this thread