Apeiron of Recollection - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - False Memory

Dex-chan lover
In the scanlation of a different series, “stigmata” is mistakenly being used as a singular; in the scanlation of this series, “stigma” is mistakenly being used as a plural (possibly the mistake originates in the source).

The form “stigma” is singular; the form “stigmata” is plural.

Last edited:
You raise a good point and are correct that the word "stigma" was written as the singular form "stigma" in the original Japanese and not as "stigmata". When translating this, I considered changing it to the English plural form as well since the Japanese language often does not often distinguish between plural and singular nouns. For this reason, I too thought that perhaps the authors had made a common mistake when using loan words (words not native to Japanese).

However, supplementary reading evidenced that the Japanese language does in fact distinguish between "stigma" (スティグマ) and "stigmata" (スティグマータ) in many contexts (including those that are religious). This suggested to me that Kusaka Shinya, the writer, did not inappropriately use the singular. He was attempting to be clever. For this reason in addition to at least one other that could be considered a spoiler (so I will not mention it here), I chose to leave it translated in the singular.

I promise that I will include a proper translation note at the end of the subsequent volume to ensure that this translation decision is understood by readers. If at the end of volume 2 it turns out that it should have been written as a plural, I will mention that as well. Translating loan words is always tricky when you don't know the story from start to finish.

Thank you for raising this concern.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread