Asako - Vol. 2 Ch. 10

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, Masashi wants to protect Asako, but is disappointed by her crying. That's something of a contradiction. But then again, kids are full of contradictions. In the end he's in love with an idea only existing inside of his own head, and tries to project that idea on Asako, which is never going to work. In other words, he's looking at her as an idol. That sort of thing is going to fail sooner or later.

Group Leader
It's been a while since I've read Asako, but I think the reason he was disappointed in her crying is not because she succumbed to the little girl, but rather because of h is idolization of her as an "adult woman" that (i think his thought process is) can't be fazed by the trivialities of children. And so, by her crying, he finds fault with this image he has of her, despite realizing later on that he was wrong to do so (because she's only human, and he doesn't really know her).

Dex-chan lover
If anyone has read ahead, can you please spoil me and let me know if Asako and the MC end up together? Thanks in advance!

Dex-chan lover
Thanks Daphie!

Masashi is a child, I mean really a child. Even adults find it hard to think from someone elses point of view or understand they have problems that are affecting them. So expecting him to understand an adult is asking a bit much. I wouldn't say he is in love with her, or even that he idolizes her. To him she is the sun and the moon, an angel. When he realizes she is a real person with all of a persons flaws, or when she in some way rejects his love or worship for him it will hurt, a lot.

As an adult I think he is trying to discover who she really was, to make the angel real, to fall in love with the real Asa-nee. Or at least come to terms with the absence of her in his life. When your a kid and you fall really hard, really fast for someone, it can leave a lasting impression on you for decades.

As for him being happy that Miki didn't hurt her, I think it had more to do with him not being there to protect her. If Asa-nee hurt herself in some way that is one thing. But if someone maliciously attacks your loved one and you failed to prevent it, it would bother you quite a bit. Especially if your a young boy. Though not knowing any Japanese I have no clue if I'm right or not.

I didn't even think Miki's story reminded Asa-nee of her past. I was just thinking she was empathizing with Miki. Asa-nee seems to be a very compassionate person helping the kids with their problems. It seems like all the kids have issues but the abuse Miki has suffered is on a whole other level. She needs some serious help.

I know I said I hope he and Asako somehow end up together at the end but this chapter made me really feel for his childhood friend. A contest between the childhood friend and the onee-san. My two favorite archetypes. I hate when that happens.

Group Leader
Thanks again for the chapter Daphieeee
Thanks for the scanlation
Thanks for the translation!

And yeah I don’t think Masashi really even understands what protecting someone is
Thanks for the scanlation.
Thanks for the chapter.
Thanks Daphie!

Masashi is a child, I mean really a child. Even adults find it hard to think from someone elses point of view or understand they have problems that are affecting them. So expecting him to understand an adult is asking a bit much. I wouldn't say he is in love with her, or even that he idolizes her. To him she is the sun and the moon, an angel. When he realizes she is a real person with all of a persons flaws, or when she in some way rejects his love or worship for him it will hurt, a lot.

As an adult I think he is trying to discover who she really was, to make the angel real, to fall in love with the real Asa-nee. Or at least come to terms with the absence of her in his life. When your a kid and you fall really hard, really fast for someone, it can leave a lasting impression on you for decades.

As for him being happy that Miki didn't hurt her, I think it had more to do with him not being there to protect her. If Asa-nee hurt herself in some way that is one thing. But if someone maliciously attacks your loved one and you failed to prevent it, it would bother you quite a bit. Especially if your a young boy. Though not knowing any Japanese I have no clue if I'm right or not.

I didn't even think Miki's story reminded Asa-nee of her past. I was just thinking she was empathizing with Miki. Asa-nee seems to be a very compassionate person helping the kids with their problems. It seems like all the kids have issues but the abuse Miki has suffered is on a whole other level. She needs some serious help.

I know I said I hope he and Asako somehow end up together at the end but this chapter made me really feel for his childhood friend. A contest between the childhood friend and the onee-san. My two favorite archetypes. I hate when that happens.
YW everyone!!! This manga is so worth working on it, and reading it!!!

Thanks Chronigan, this is such an interesting take on most of the current events!

About Daphie's afterword in ch 10: from what I'm understanding of the story, something that still hasn't been explained happened that made Masashi very disappointed in Asako and got him crying and tearing the resume he started filling. It seems like that's not something that has been depicted yet in the actual flashbacks, or we would have seen that strong reaction. Adult Masashi is reminiscing about the entire experience of knowing Asako with Amano, and so he hints at this big disppointment episode again because it seems to be a very important breaking point.

He was thrown off about her crying because kiddo Masashi worships Asako and isn't capable of seeing her fully yet (and seeing his "hero" cry is not something his child brain can fully take in), but adult Masashi seems to be ready to confront who the real person he idolized was.

Dex-chan lover
@princess_daphie: I meant to say this a couple weeks ago, but I don't think Asako cries here in anguish. Miki's tirade hasn't hurt her or reminded her of painful secrets.

In fact, I believe it's quite the opposite. Asako's tears are compassionate. She cries as an adult in empathetic understanding of what Miki - a desperate, confused and deeply wounded child - has unknowingly revealed of her own misery.

The reality of the situation is, of course, completely lost on Miki. It's also lost, tellingly, on Asako's would-be savior, Masashi. So we get two distinct flavors of irony in one moment, nice trick ;)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Yeah, Masashi wants to protect Asako, but is disappointed by her crying. That's something of a contradiction. But then again, kids are full of contradictions. In the end he's in love with an idea only existing inside of his own head, and tries to project that idea on Asako, which is never going to work. In other words, he's looking at her as an idol. That sort of thing is going to fail sooner or later.
Actually, kids HATE contradictions. The kids are the first to shout LIAR the moment they found one. I saw one kid beaten to death because he never retracted LIAR and THIEF to a police. That is how PURE the soul of a child is.

Users who are viewing this thread