Ascendance of a Bookworm Official Comic Anthology - Vol. 3 Ch. 46 - The High Priest Reigns Supreme - Yuu-yuu

Dex-chan lover
'tis a tall order to suspend disbelief that there's no such thing as dice in this world, but for the sake of gamblin' man Ferdinand I shall try.

...nope, Imma just gonna go with he was playing the long con :lul:

Myne shoulda removed the spots for luck :meguusmug:

Dex-chan lover
'tis a tall order to suspend disbelief that there's no such thing as dice in this world, but for the sake of gamblin' man Ferdinand I shall try.

The series have shown other forms of entertainment they have, with more practical side purpose than just playing.
The magical-chess they play serves as not only entertainment but also as practice for strategical thinking and mana control (since they use mana to move the pieces)

Hunting (which get them materials for brewing)

Music - related to the graduation ceremony and praying

Tea party - information exchange, spreading trends.

Ditter...we don't talk about ditter...lest we summon 'them'

etc

Supporter

“The world” is a very big place. All this chapter really said was that there’s no such thing as dice among The nobles of ehrenfest. There might be a similar game among the nobles of another duchy or among commoners somewhere. Ferdinand s never been big on games. He just likes winning.

and the modern die has certainly evolved over time. Originally I believe it was a 4 sided bone that was used for fortune telling. That might exist and Ferdinand might’ve seen it before but I doubt he’d recognize it as being the same as mynes dice.

Dex-chan lover
“The world” is a very big place. All this chapter really said was that there’s no such thing as dice among The nobles of ehrenfest. There might be a similar game among the nobles of another duchy or among commoners somewhere. Ferdinand s never been big on games. He just likes winning.

and the modern die has certainly evolved over time. Originally I believe it was a 4 sided bone that was used for fortune telling. That might exist and Ferdinand might’ve seen it before but I doubt he’d recognize it as being the same as mynes dice.
Six-sided dice are descendants of throwing knucklebones, as I recall (likely domesticated herd animals like sheep) which are vaguely cube-ish. Certainly there are many religious and fortune-telling traditions that may use other bones, but since there's a direct morphological line from knucklebones to dice, I'm assuming they are the simplest and most practical evolution of the practice.

Ferdinand being not familiar with them is plausible on account of how segregated the nobility seem to be, but dice and their ilk are so ubiquitous across cultures in the real world that it feels nigh impossible that the peasantry (Lutz didn't seem to recognize them either) wouldn't have them. Hence, a need for an extraordinary suspension of disbelief 🤷

Dex-chan lover
In cee-loo they should be using a container (usually a bowl) which the dice could potentially spill out on a bad throw, also sloped so the dice value is less controllable by the thrower.
Myne in this story made a mistake by using a small basket(?) with a flat surface.

Dex-chan lover
No surprise Ferdinand is losing when
he is literally hated by at least one god
there's prob a lot more then just the 1 god that hates him i mean he literally broke into their house without announcing himself

Users who are viewing this thread