Baki Dou (2018) - Ch. 42 - Versus Maegashira Top Shachihoko

Dex-chan lover
Geez this is stupid. Just get to the actual Baki cast already, and quit circle jerking over sumo being 'superior' already.

Dex-chan lover
One one hand, it's nice to see Sumo not being treated like a fodder style for once.

On the massively larger other hand, we KNOW the ultimate conclusion will be that the established fighters kick the shit out of these Sumo boys. We already saw Susume manhandle an Ozeki, so we know he's lightyears ahead of regular rikishi, and we saw him fail to stack up to Baki and basically get toyed with. And the guys the rikishi s are beating are the LOWEST of low fodder: cocky pro-MMA dudes. So these matches do nothing for hyping them up, and will just look ridiculous once they get one-shotted.

I really don't know what the purpose of this arc is.

Fed-Kun's army
Why even show all this nobodies who are apparently the best of the best
At least this guy took more than one hit

Fuck sake, it's so easy for the author to just look up some bodybuilders and strongmen to get a better picture of what X weight at Y height would look like.

Group Leader
Hmm. The author once spent half a series building up Mohammed Ali Jr. only to have him get curb stomped by literally everyone and their mother. I'm wondering who the real "big bad" of this arc is going to be.

Me back in ch. 36:
Shachihoko could be Abi. It would be interesting to have a sumo striker with reach in the lineup.
Fucking called it

So to be clear, the author is showing off a well known active sumo wrestler here, that people in Japan will probably know. It's like when in a football manga an Argentine midget shows up and schools someone. If you know it's Messi it's going to read different than if you don't know who it is.

Dex-chan lover
i really love this series of small fights, hypes me up even more for the end fight

yo i'm posting here on the first page of the chapter to call it: dude gets curbstomped and the sumo guy doesn't flinch

Wow, did superior Nippon Sumo national best martial art won? What a surprise!

Hey Guys, i tried to figure out whats the meaning of all this. Or what could be a nice outcome of this.
What if the Sumo fighters just check out how strong they really are and kind of doing their own thing from now on. (very unlikely i know??) Having a Team match with some weaklings? We don't want that anymore (=Baki and his Friends beeing the weaklings...can they really be that much stronger than the MMA guys?)

Maybe they go and wreck "chaos" in the City? Getting jumped by Jack Hanma with a Baseball bat?

Users who are viewing this thread