Beast King & Medicinal Herb - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - The Pledge

it's literally just 4 chapters in, what sort of world-building do you expect??? Even Dungeon Meshi and Frieren had to build up slowly before doing anything big.
why are you so mad lol? I wrote I like it. The premise and the the main character are interesting. You don't need to jump out of your hole to defend a series just because someone gave his first opinion. Take a chill pill.

It's mediocre because it's the default fantasy setting with evil humans oppressing other races. Four chapters are enough to get a rough idea where the story will go to and how much of time will be invested into world building. Many series need less for that. But that's totally fine. Not every series needs "made in abyss" level of world building.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Fucking hell, that really is such a dick move. Nice that Tina didn't mince words and called them out on it.

So this confirms that Garon doesn't control Tina at all. I mean, the trial won't be necessary in the first place if that's the case, but this 100% confirms it for me and Tina.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Finally decided to read through, and I'm glad I did. The story is deeper than the simplistic art style suggests, and the characters have hints at complex motivations and personalities. Definitely looking forward to seeing more :thumbsup:

Dex-chan lover
why are you so mad lol? I wrote I like it. The premise and the the main character are interesting. You don't need to jump out of your hole to defend a series just because someone gave his first opinion. Take a chill pill.
writing ??? expresses my level of confusion towards your take, not mad/anger.

It's mediocre because it's the default fantasy setting with evil humans oppressing other races.
once again, literally only 4 chapters in, we can't say that for sure. Humanity could have been the one who was oppressed but now was strong enough to strike back, but not smart enough to realize the importance of keeping the ecosystem balance, which is understandable because even in the real world many people don't care about the ecosystem either.

Four chapters are enough to get a rough idea where the story will go to and how much of time will be invested into world building. Many series need less for that. But that's totally fine. Not every series needs "made in abyss" level of world building.
that's so wrong in like, so many levels I don't even know where to start. Dungeon Meshi started out as a "cooking first, lore later" story, Katekiyo Hitman Reborn (one of the pretty successful shounen of 2010s) started out as comedic SoL with little comprehensive plot and slowly changed to one epic fighting shounen with twists and turns. I'm sure there are more stories that also slowly/completely change as they go, but these are the 2 examples I can think of right now.

anw, my point is, the first 4 chapters are usually just the simple stuff to let the readers meet the characters (and for more skilled writers, to set the tone/settings of the entire series). However, things can change as the series go, so I think judging a series as "mediocre" when it's just starting out is overly harsh and a bit dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread