BEASTARS - Vol. 21 Ch. 181 - Leopard Spots Like Floating Oil Slicks

Group Leader
Discord community link. Come for the fun discussion, release pings, special unreleased omake, side stories, leaks and stuffs. https://discord.gg/Beastars

Time for my usual Chapter review.

Settle the score… Makes you wonder how come the grudge last so long.

Page 2: There is a symbolism with Melon’s Mom [MM for short] being split in 2 for the mirror. My understanding is how MM is split between the fantasy/facade and the unspoken reality [ch 162] of prey and predator. The split is reference to the series as a whole: Love vs prey/predator. Sexuality vs Food.

In many cultures, a child taking a bath mom is common, and nothing wrong with this. A parent should have a safe bond with their parents. However, with the west view of being prude [prude as nude = lewd when it not], this can be taken out of context as sexual abuse.

Note: Madaragumi and Sheila have changed species. Sheila is noted as Leopard in Ch 2 [pg 24. However, she is changed to Cheeta in ch 10 and 70 [pg 2]. Madaragumi is noted as Jaguars in ch 66 [pg 4], changed to Leopard in ch 156 [pg 8]. It best to assume Sheila, Madaragumi, and Melon’s Mom are all the same species. Either Leopard or Spotted Cats.

Leopards vs Lions are not fair that Lions win all the time, so why the Madaragumi act like they have a chance if this repeats? Even if this weakness is only for Shishigumi.

Typical Paru Biorogy.

Page 12: The King of Beast part confused me, as well the nature of the Shishigumi & Madaragumi relationship. Ethanoh of the discord server will follow up with a good explanation

I would like to give MM the benefit of the doubt that she was not thinking of Melon as prey at all. However, the fact remains that Melon Dad is missing, so the unspoken words lead to fear. From 162 she did not address that at all, so Melon’s worry is understandable.

Helping mom unhook her bra is common [I done it a few times], it is only by a certain age does the child find that uncomfortable. I known my Highschool teacher have a story with her child on this, as they don’t have shame with family. Considering this should have happened before, I find Melon hesitation to unhook the bra off, unless Melon did not have any love for his mom at all.

The MM reaction on page 15/16 I still give MM the benefit of the doubt it was anything weird, and Melon overthinking it. Afterall, when taking off clothes, you feel less restricted, more liberated.

Quite deadly if Melon can changed so it can rip out the skin if it couldn’t do so in ch 174. Melon going full carnivore? Not sure what be BAM reaction now that Melon actually killed them.

Note: Legoshi is not included in Melon’s trauma, but included in melon list of people to kill. That said, Legoshi is the one who impacts Melon the most to being first one to hug, first one to hit, and being a zombie since returns each time.

I would rate this chapter as 7/10, or 3.5/5, round up to ⅘. Not a fan of Melon’s view, and the forced events thinking it sexual assault. If it done multiple times in the past, it shouldn’t have been a big deal. That said, I like how this chapter ended up explaining Melon impact to BAM, and the relationship of the Madaragumi and Shishigumi.

Note there is a correction to the term used. HCS said Melon has Antlers. Gazelle have horns which do not branch out and does not regrow unlike Antlers

Fed-Kun's army
@YyAoMmIi

Helping mom unhook her bra is common , it is only by a certain age does the child find that uncomfortable. I known my Highschool teacher have a story with her child on this, as they don’t have shame with family. Considering this should have happened before, I find Melon hesitation to unhook the bra off, unless Melon did not have any love for his mom at all.

I can't say definitively, but the way it's presented as an extremely strong memory indicates this as being a first time for him. If supposedly he had helped his Mother unhook her bra before and she experienced this reaction, why was it so special this particular time? I can't think of a particular reason other than it being a first for him.

Thanks for the chapter!!
All in all, as we're seeing this from Melon's perspective most likely, the mom does come off slightly creepy.

Double-page supporter
"I know I said I was into cougars, but this isn't what I meant."

Dex-chan lover
Even though I had problems with the fight with the Dokugumi, I've gotta say that this chapter works well as a parallel to that fight because it's a good way to show how Legosi and Melon act differently towards a group that represents a part of themselves, Legosi is enchanted by the Komodo Dragons' scales and Melon is disgusted by the Leopards' spots.

Dex-chan lover
Melon's Mom look like there's something wrong with her mind, but we need to see more if this is normal leopard behavior in the Beastars universe or if she really comes from a lineage of bad copies of Hannibal Lecter.

If I had to guess here with the way his mother is reacting, it’s teetering around the timeframe of rest of Melon’s flashbacks to school and killing her, so it could be a lot of the tipping point, you know?

It’s kind of like an intentional parallel to Legoshi’s flashbacks, this here, like Leona sleeping with Legoshi showing the physically closest they’ve ever been to their kids.

In this instance, it’s Melon having his hesitation since he knows Mama Melon is not right in the head, so he has a continued need to keep his distance, like with the horns. The bra thing is less a sexual thing from his POV, and more “Fuck, I gotta touch her now?!” especially with the spots and his obvious fear/hatred of her.

For Mama Melon, it’s just more of an over heightened sensation due her nonsense and the fear she’s putting into him. Probably some intentional mind games like wanting that bath, touching his horns, comments on his eyes and so on. Some of the predatory stuff.... as a carnivore.

Fed-Kun's army
tenor.gif

I don't think Melon's mom is really all that messed up. She's going through the same struggles that Riz and that mixed couple were going through. Melon is probably the physical manifestation of her guilt of predating Melon's dad and she's trying to live the fairy tale life of being able to live peacefully with her hybrid son, while suppressing her carnivore instincts.

Double-page supporter
i used to be so excited when this updated... now i'm just waiting for it to end. well, despite that, the chapter was a little better than the usual now!

Dex-chan lover
Sure why the fuck no, give him one last power up before the fight.

The spots move around their bodies giving them super reflexes and hyper sensitivity, it makes no sense, but fuck it, they can do that now. Because just giving him super strength and a sudden bulck up was not enough.

Users who are viewing this thread