Blue Lock - Ch. 228 - Unruly Brat

Dex-chan lover
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Barou learned nothing.

Sure, the man is a scoring machine. But he hasn't really refined his strategy or technique at all.

He is still the same "Fuck you, give me the ball and I'll score" he always has been. The "character development" he's currently going through is "Oh? You think I learned to be a team player? FUCK YOU I'M STILL THE SAME DUDE! IN FACT, I AM PISSED OFF AT THE FACT THAT I TRIED TO BE A TEAM PLAYER!"

Double-page supporter
Although Isagi and Kaiser both have an understanding on meta-vision Barou completely shut theirs down. They believed that Barou only had 1 shooting path but their blocks actually gave him an alternative one. Barou even gambled on Snuffy blocking Noa and it worked.

With all that instinct he truly is king of the jungle. 🗣️

Dex-chan lover

Barou learned nothing.

Sure, the man is a scoring machine. But he hasn't really refined his strategy or technique at all.

He is still the same "Fuck you, give me the ball and I'll score" he always has been. The "character development" he's currently going through is "Oh? You think I learned to be a team player? FUCK YOU I'M STILL THE SAME DUDE! IN FACT, I AM PISSED OFF AT THE FACT THAT I TRIED TO BE A TEAM PLAYER!"
Almost like the whole point of his character is to be the selfish "king" he has always been, despite people trying to change him. If he just went along with refined strategy and such then he wouldn't be able to become the best player he could possibly be which is the whole point of blue lock.

Dex-chan lover

Barou learned nothing.

I disagree.
He started off like that, and overcame the humbling Isagi gave him in order to become an 'evil king', someone willing to do anything to achieve his goal.
In this league, he's learned to not just use his teammates, but trust them, and have them behave as parts of himself. So he's no longer an evil king, but an interesting in between of his desire to strike his own goals and overcome his reliance on others (and defeat Isagi) but also his understanding that teammates are needed.

I think the mangaka did a great job here, because Snuffy recognized in an instant that Barou's ego was about to be crushed again by Isagi and Kaiser working together. So he not only positioned himself in such a way as to goad Barou into shooting what both Snuffy and Barou could see- the goal path- but also helped him subtly.

Barou is both having his ego rekindled as a king, but also into trusting and using his teammates. He's currently, IMO, closest to the ideal striker that Blue Lock wants to make.

Dex-chan lover

Barou learned nothing.

Nah before he wouldn’t even pass the ball. He’s atleast now using his team to help with his goals.

Dex-chan lover

Barou learned nothing.

I totally agree with you, although he did learn one trick – waiting to get in a blind spot and striking where the goalkeeper can't quite see his movements. But this chapter simply felt like a glorified rehash of Chapter 78 (man that was ages ago...) where he basically went his own way and cashed in on being all irregular and unpredictable.
Also I liked that pouncing lion imagery more, hmph.

Anyway, now I want Isagi to win to simply show him his place.
Barou's character development feels like he's oscillating between being a good (albeit grumpy) boi and acting like an entitled brat. I still love him, mind you, but I also want him to grow.

Dex-chan lover
Its amazing how a football series manage to become more and more stupid for every chapter…

Dex-chan lover

Barou learned nothing.

Barou learn something. his entire personality revolves around his ego. he learns on how to use his own teammates, use his own skill, and use his enemy. his ego? still the same, he is THE KING. but unlike before where "pass me and I will score" without any plan. now he is like look at best possible place to score, devour your own team mates by eliminating their own score, devour your enemy by predicting the future the core of "pass me and I will score" still there.

he is the villain. his entire plan to become stronger stark a contrast of MC a.k.a the hero. who keeps changing his ego into "perfect" by devouring others. Adapting and Reforming his own belief to get a goal. Barou? Screw all that shit just pass to me and I'll score it myself. if no one will pass to me I will steal that ball from you and do it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread