Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Genius and 'X' are Two Sides of the Same Coin

Double-page supporter
I was never good at memorization.

At least, not rote memorization.

I needed to understand what it would be used for, what made it relevant; without that, it just wouldn't stick.

So dry theory never worked for me. Real-world applications were a must.

On top of that, making it worse, was that my study habits were... poor... to put it mildly. I'm not sure if the poor study habits was a result of having no success at rote memorization, so why bother, or if they were poor to begin with; they were already well-established by third grade, which was back ~1968. The second time through college, after flunking out the first time, my study habits did improve; I realized that I really had to do my best if I hoped to attain my goal, and it was time to focus on school, and not on my social life.

I remember with fondness the teachers who made sure to include real-world examples of what the various things related to, because I actually retained what they taught.

Trigonometry, the teacher was active in orienteering, and showed us how it could be used to navigate from one point to another, and how it applied to surveying; later, I used trig to design a tent, which went up with no problems the first time I used it after making it.

The ones who went through the theory, and the process, but without real-world application? Yes, I do remember them, but not with fondness. For I never really understood what they were trying to teach me. And that was very clear in my test results.

I envy the MC his ability to learn, to memorize through sheer effort and persistence. And to then show how well he understands it by being able to look at the work of others and determine where they didn't understand, and then see how to present things such that they can come to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread