Bouncer - Vol. 14 Ch. 81

Dex-chan lover
I think I'd really need to pee by the end of that whole explanation.

Anyway, that's certainly some way to turn the situation around 180 degrees from the last chapter.

Group Leader
Interesting, the author clearly is a gun enthusiast but being Japanese likely only has second hand information. I think you or him made a typo, the sniper likely said Sig p320 instead of 230 as the latter is not a 9mm pistol. A few thoughts:

1. 30m is a very long distance for a pistol, far longer than is drawn in the manga (relative to their height, they are drawn only about 10m apart). At that distance an untrained person has basically zero chance of landing a shot. However it would be fairly easy with a rifle. The author likely knew this and wrote the conversation around it.

However, for a trained gunman, hitting a human sized target at 30m should be fairly easy if you aren’t under pressure. In this scenario where you’re against body armor, it’d require very good marksmanship to land a head shot at 30m, but completely doable. Against a moving target though I doubt anyone would be able to make it. So if the guy had just shot before announcing his presence, he’d probably kill assuming he’s a good shot. After it becomes very hard assuming the opponent will try and dodge. I’d say realistically vs a still target I’d have 100% hitting the body, 70% hitting the head, and 1% of getting a headshot against a moving target

2. Level IV body armor is the highest tier of commonly available body armor, capable of stopping multiple high caliber rifle rounds as the author mentioned. However it is exclusively made out of metal or ceramic plate, and there is no soft armor version that is even close to being developed afaik. It is also complete overkill outside of a war zone, level II, which is what soft armor you’ll generally see police wear is rated at, is sufficient to stop all non armor-piercing pistol rounds (which are rare, most people will use hollow points).

I also don’t think such material is flexible enough to form a hooded jacket. Most body armor only covers the chest to protect the vital organs there. The stomach, hips, arms, etc. are generally not covered because you’d have a hard time moving. Also a crotch shot would be very effective here as it is not armored unless you don’t want to move your legs very much, and it is close to your center of gravity so it’s fairly easy to hit.

Last edited:
Interesting, the author clearly is a gun enthusiast but being Japanese likely only has second hand information. I think you or him made a typo, the sniper likely said Sig p320 instead of 230 as the latter is not a 9mm pistol. A few thoughts:

1. 30m is a very long distance for a pistol, far longer than is drawn in the manga (relative to their height, they are drawn only about 10m apart). At that distance an untrained person has basically zero chance of landing a shot. However it would be fairly easy with a rifle. The author likely knew this and wrote the conversation around it.

However, for a trained gunman, hitting a human sized target at 30m should be fairly easy if you aren’t under pressure. In this scenario where you’re against body armor, it’d require very good marksmanship to land a head shot at 30m, but completely doable. Against a moving target though I doubt anyone would be able to make it. So if the guy had just shot before announcing his presence, he’d probably kill assuming he’s a good shot. After it becomes very hard assuming the opponent will try and dodge. I’d say realistically vs a still target I’d have 100% hitting the body, 70% hitting the head, and 1% of getting a headshot against a moving target

2. Level IV body armor is the highest tier of commonly available body armor, capable of stopping multiple high caliber rifle rounds as the author mentioned. However it is exclusively made out of metal or ceramic plate, and there is no soft armor version that is even close to being developed afaik. It is also complete overkill outside of a war zone, level II, which is what soft armor you’ll generally see police wear is rated at, is sufficient to stop all non armor-piercing pistol rounds (which are rare, most people will use hollow points).

I also don’t think such material is flexible enough to form a hooded jacket. Most body armor only covers the chest to protect the vital organs there. The stomach, hips, arms, etc. are generally not covered because you’d have a hard time moving. Also a crotch shot would be very effective here as it is not armored unless you don’t want to move your legs very much, and it is close to your center of gravity so it’s fairly easy to hit.
Oh wow, thank you for all that insight. As I'm from Germany, I have basically no knowledge about guns tbh, so I was trying my best to read up on the topic and all the terminology as I was translating xD
I also just checked the raws again and it was a mistake in the original cause he wrote P230...
And yes, Mizuta's distances are definitely a bit wonky xD
Glad you're enjoying it tho^^

Dex-chan lover
Because just having sniper guy spend 10 pages on a monologue detailing how well prepared he was and how much of a nonissue being found is to him, was clearly not enough there's now side commentary from his war buddies buttering him up, just in case

1. 30m is a very long distance for a pistol, far longer than is drawn in the manga (relative to their height, they are drawn only about 10m apart).
The author has problems with perspective, for example in page 11 you can see the lasers stop running parallel to each other because he put the vanishing point in the middle of the page instead of out of it, making it look like just to Takashima's right there's a huge gap he could just crawl under

So chances are he was unable to draw a space that big while keeping the characters up to scale, and he is not the resourceful kind of artist neither so using things like zoom pannels to highlight the characters within an ample space is not something he has done yet, but that could have benefited the story a lot, specially since geographical focused pages, that are dependent on positioning characters on a wide area, is such a prominent occurrence in this manga

Dex-chan lover
its-just-so-peak-v0-w6ememuki9tb1.jpeg

Double-page supporter
Cool stand off chapter, this manga can be meandering but man but it does a good job at it.

Users who are viewing this thread