Boy's Abyss - Ch. 161 - Muddled

Dex-chan lover
I understand completely why Reiji came to resent her, but I could never hate Yuko after the childhood she had. I just wish she had kept her rage aimed exclusively at the people that took advantage of her or stood by. The sad thing being that the misery she's responsible for is mostly due to an unhealthy mindset as she tried to get a little bit of comfort by clutching everyone she could close in this shithole, instead of sending them of and doing everything she could for them to have the chance she never got.

I can't say for now that she loves Reiji. When you love someone, you want their happiness, even if it means accepting it would be better for them to not have you in their life. Literally, or for something as common as letting your children go study for away from home. Yuko simply used her kid as a lifeboat, no matter how suffocating that embrace was for him. Even unconscious, at the article of death, she still can't let go and might lead him to ruin his own life because of his anger at her.

My point is that if she only had used her job as a nurse to discreetly kill the pedophiles that abused her as a kid and humiliate her shitty mother in her impotent state, Yuko would be unquestionably based. Unfortunately, time is a flat circle and the cycle of violence needs to be broken by Reiji, she's too far gone and poisoned by it. 🚬

Dex-chan lover
Of course. Because god forbid any plotline ever get resolved.
Of all the manga that can/could become eternal à la One Piece, I definitely didn't expect this one to do so. Then again, I'd never count on Kanokari either, so who knows

Dex-chan lover
Of all the manga that can/could become eternal à la One Piece, I definitely didn't expect this one to do so. Then again, I'd never count on Kanokari either, so who knows
But it hasn't yet.
The closest we got to potential ending was the bridge scene in Tokyo, and that would have been really out of character for Gen and Nagi would have been a unfinished character in the end, so that would have felt rushed.
This had to happen so Nagi could finally get her backstory revealed, this stuff needs to work organically or else it'll be bad, I'd rather have a long manga with all plotlines resolved than a rushed manga that's ended too early.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
But it hasn't yet.
The closest we got to potential ending was the bridge scene in Tokyo, and that would have been really out of character for Gen and Nagi would have been a unfinished character in the end, so that would have felt rushed.
This had to happen so Nagi could finally get her backstory revealed, this stuff needs to work organically or else it'll be bad, I'd rather have a long manga with all plotlines resolved than a rushed manga that's ended too early.
The thing is exactly that the plotlines were not resolved at all or even meaningfully changed. I stopped following/reading the manga a full year ago (seriously) and followed this chapter like I had never left! That's only one sign that this is getting dragged on (because it's selling) and on and on...

Dex-chan lover
The thing is exactly that the plotlines were not resolved at all or even meaningfully changed. I stopped following/reading the manga a full year ago (seriously) and followed this chapter like I had never left! That's only one sign that this is getting dragged on (because it's selling) and on and on...
Chako, Gen, and Esemori were released from their Abysses, I'd say it's meaningfully changed.
Also Reiji becoming his mother is helping him understand her and has drastically altered the story going forward.
Since coming back from Tokyo, in the manga's time it's been a month or 2.

If we had a time skip that'd be bad as well, as a lot of change would be unseen.
We also now know Nagi's backstory and Reiji (Now given motivation to get out of his abyss) is tasked with finding her.
Just because life-altering events aren't happening monthly doesn't mean stuff isn't changing.

If you watched almost any TV show that deals mainly with psychological concepts and skipped to a random scene, you'd likely still be able to follow along despite a lot of change happening in-between.
It might be getting dragged, but it doesn't have the obvious signs yet, if the obvious signs start to show, I'm dropping this manga like a hot sack of shit.

Dex-chan lover
What if Yuko decides to fight to survive just to spite Reiji after he tries to kill her?
That definitely seems in character for her to do (or to not), but from a storytelling standpoint it seems like a bad move.
Ryo has built up Yuko's death for 34 chapters, to subvert expectations would be very in line with the rest of this manga, but it's such a serious plot point, I feel if Ryo made Yuko live this time, it'd just be really bad for the story and the fans, especially the fact that Yuko nearly died twice (well... technically 3-4 times in her life) already.

Ryo really great at worldbuilding and creating complex and interesting characters, if she makes Yuko live, I'll start to think the manga really is dragging as it's an obvious bad move, and there is no way Ryo is unaware of that. She's insanely good at knowing how fans would react to events and how to keep people engaged just enough.

@Absent666 Do you think this is a possibility? And how would you view something like that happening?

Dex-chan lover
What if Yuko decides to fight to survive just to spite Reiji after he tries to kill her?
That definitely seems in character for her to do (or to not), but from a storytelling standpoint it seems like a bad move.
Ryo has built up Yuko's death for 34 chapters, to subvert expectations would be very in line with the rest of this manga, but it's such a serious plot point, I feel if Ryo made Yuko live this time, it'd just be really bad for the story and the fans, especially the fact that Yuko nearly died twice (well... technically 3-4 times in her life) already.

Ryo really great at worldbuilding and creating complex and interesting characters, if she makes Yuko live, I'll start to think the manga really is dragging as it's an obvious bad move, and there is no way Ryo is unaware of that. She's insanely good at knowing how fans would react to events and how to keep people engaged just enough.

@Absent666 Do you think this is a possibility? And how would you view something like that happening?
Was waiting for the new year message from Ryou to make the final assumptions.

Honestly, Ryou has no room left to pull such a twist, now that this manga won't go beyond this 2024, and if she does that, it will be to make Reiji cross the moral event horizon and bring the worst of him to the surface, like ending up embracing the lowest part of Yuko's essence: convincing others to stain their hands with blood for his own bloody and most evil desire... kill Yuko.

Story would repeat itself. Uryu was asked to kill Yuko's dad by Yuko herself, so, Reiji would ask Yuri to kill his mom if the scenario of her spite-survival happens.

Happy new year, everybody. 2024 is officially Shounen no Abyss' last year.

Worst decision reiji. You learn nothing from Esemori. This is the right time for her to confess and let go of you but you about to blew it

Dex-chan lover
Worst decision reiji. You learn nothing from Esemori. This is the right time for her to confess and let go of you but you about to blew it
162 came out just hours ago
Reiji didn't choke her, but started to aggressively shove her demanding the answers he is trying to find (why she did those things to his bro, dad, gen and him, also demanded her to remember all those painful andd cruel shit she has done to them and they done to her as well), only to be stopped by Ishibashi.

Chapter was basically Yuko's POV of the events from chapters 94 and 106

he wont kill her but i wish he would.
who's kira though? NEVERMIND akira i get it
i guess she's at the point where she's basically seeing esemori and reiji as the same person unfortunately. what book is she going to return though?

Users who are viewing this thread