Cacomistle's Anthology - Ch. 24 - Dense guy, Mosaic

Dex-chan lover
Ok, any physicist here can tell me how dense a material need to be in order to stop a rifle bullet?

Dex-chan lover
Ok, any physicist here can tell me how dense a material need to be in order to stop a rifle bullet?
Any material will stop a rifle bullet if there is enough of it. But practical armor is made out of steel plates or kevlar weave.
Density of steel is 7700—7900 kg /m^3 (kilograms per cubic meter).

Dex-chan lover
I'm not a physicist, but it's not just about the density, but the properties of the material and how it reacts to force, particularly the force of pointy metal at very high speeds.

Certain grades of steel work, as do ceramics, but kevlar (or similar aramid fibers) don't generally work for rifle caliber bullets and speeds, they top out at pistol bullets. Although to be fair, that criminal's using an SMG (which uses pistol bullets) so it probably would be stopped by kevlar.

An article I briefly searched for said that ceramic plates provide the most protection for the lowest density and weight. So it seems that ballistic grade ceramic plates are the minimum density you need to stop rifle bullets consistently.

Users who are viewing this thread