Call of the Night - Ch. 196 - The Ocean Rocks

Dex-chan lover
Death can be lonely... dying with the person you love isn't, it means your feelings and emotions remain pure, unspoiled to other eventuality. That's what makes it romantic.
If you study the definition of love by people like Shakespeare: love is the union of true minds, unaffected by external forces, it can not be severed (not even by death)... an example of it is Romeo and Juliet.

Now think about what Kou said, if he is turned into a vampire it would mean their love is one sided, or that he is meant to eventually forget his past like any other vampire has done. Their kin will eventually move on, like the relationship between parents and children (someone said that and I can't remember who was). We do have a few exceptions to that, there are a few still in love with their progenitors thought out the series, but not the main vampires... not the old ones. Could you say under that definition they had true love?

Mahiru's and Kuki's death is an example of this. Two individuals that are so desperately in love that even the concept of death doesn't deterred them from seeking such love. In their particular case, Kiku was on her way out either way, Mahiru staying with her is beautiful because, he actively chose to stay with her.
There's some truth in that, but we have to remember that Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy as much as it's a romance. I think it's a cautionary tale about getting love-drunk and the terrible places it can lead. Love is beautiful, but there are a lot more beautiful things in life besides, and the youthful foolishness of Romeo and Juliet prevented them from experiencing all that life has to offer, including other kinds of romance. Besides that, I also remember Juliet being sort of dragged along and egged on by Romeo, but I last read the text in high school so I don't remember enough to actually cite anything to justify that interpretation. I just remember having that interpretation.

I also feel that Kotoyama introduce the relationship of Mahiru and Kiku as a foil to Nazuna and Kou. It was an unhealthy relationship built on obsessive desires and mutual codependence. They both desperately wanted to be loved. Kou and Nazuna, however, had a normal healthy relationship which progressed naturally into romance. For them, romance was something they found on their journey, rather than a destination that they fixated on.

If Kou and Nazuna had a lover's suicide at the end of the story, I believe it would call into question the narrative purpose of the entire Mahiru/Kiku arc, and I would be left wondering what Kotoyama was trying to say. That even healthy romance is impossible, if you have different enough needs?

@Eighty-six what do you think?

Fed-Kun's army
this chapter gives a strange vibe it's so warm and so cold at the same time :notlikethis:

Double-page supporter
No matter what comes next, that was a beautiful and welcome chapter.

That said, I expect a good end. I don't think it's a coincidence that all of the potential drama is based on what happens to normal vampires and normal humans, and neither of them is either one.

Dex-chan lover
Please, God, I beg you, please bring this two happiness, they fucking deserved it:meguuusad:

Dex-chan lover
This is giving me "Three days of Happiness" ending vibes. If you know you know

Dex-chan lover
my guess is that she somehow becomes a human. no idea how. but i feels it :pepehmm:
So what happens if instead of blood they share a different fluid?

Also both of them are very atypical for vampires. I think both of them are fully expecting a tragedy but personally I don’t think it will be.

Dex-chan lover
If Kou and Nazuna had a lover's suicide at the end of the story, I believe it would call into question the narrative purpose of the entire Mahiru/Kiku arc, and I would be left wondering what Kotoyama was trying to say. That even healthy romance is impossible, if you have different enough needs?
I think you are misunderstanding what I meant.

Your question is related to the maid vampire calling their death romantic. You mentioned in the previous comment that you don't see how that could have been romantic. Their relationship it is built in codependency, but it does progress from a sort of friendship into a relationship (albeit the negative tones surrounding it).
Their relationship is more akin to the tragic love that can't be fulfilled.
That's the reason I said she was on her way our and the only way for Mahiru to remain by her side was to die with her.

I certainly do not think this is the way Kou and Nazuna will go. Either they will split, out of the love they have for each other, preferring to keep them living whilst loving them from afar than dying next to them, OR they find a way to stick together until the very end (I really hope it is this last one... might be a mix of both)

Imo at this point, it's pointless try to predict anything.
My heart throbs more each page i scroll. FUCk

Users who are viewing this thread