Call of the Night - Ch. 196 - The Ocean Rocks

k, look. what we have? 1. mangaka who did in his previous big work ambiguous ending (innit? i jus heard), will he send us f#ck urself again? sounds stupid af. also it's jus spit in face from him so he must know he'll get threats. +1 to good end.
2. were u waited death of Anko? she was must to. how many times kotoyama broke expectations? shot in Kou, how multiple enemies became friends, multiple times when Nazuna was trying to take distance bc of Anko bc she said don't ruin life to kid, but she get chased with plot power by Kou and I'm 18X chapter as i remember felt I'm love when one of those distance taking times he grips her hand and she was zapped literally and it was obvious she finally felt while all the time was on the edge of it.
3. what stopping them from love exactly? no common sense to brake up. Kou said he don't care abt further study and she's his only waymark, like, characters leaved them and his friends just silly kids, choose them or Nazuna isnt question. Nazuna is same teenager who loves him to death and dreams abt human life with him and has nothing in life literally even lost gifted house, she was asocial beer gamer raised by Kabura as rebellious kid, she went on evening school by her only in her 20-30 lol. 4. there's no way to brake up with common sense. what is bad is her thoughts that she must be human for him or she mustn't be with him. since there's all of a sudden were popped up vampire physiology rules from ones everyone know to unproofed myth known by one busty vamp that vampire who felt in love mustn't suck blood of beloved person, so why would in the end we won't get same where we'll know since they're both special as one known hybrid of human and vampire(Nazuna) and one known dhampir half vampire(Kou) they're must get some special interaction with plot rules like she biting him and he now can't lose cool half vampirism with ability to turn off it and there's no deaths bc what's common sense of their unique species if it's nothing for plot literally. and anyway, Nazuna can't die from hungryness, she just don't drink any blood though she can except his if they believe in myth. i just hope kotoyama will bring vampire rules again and explain with them even if it'll plot armor how she went too vampiress with ability to turn off it bc she very want be human sometimes for him!

Double-page supporter
There's some truth in that, but we have to remember that Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy as much as it's a romance. I think it's a cautionary tale about getting love-drunk and the terrible places it can lead. Love is beautiful, but there are a lot more beautiful things in life besides, and the youthful foolishness of Romeo and Juliet prevented them from experiencing all that life has to offer, including other kinds of romance. Besides that, I also remember Juliet being sort of dragged along and egged on by Romeo, but I last read the text in high school so I don't remember enough to actually cite anything to justify that interpretation. I just remember having that interpretation.

I also feel that Kotoyama introduce the relationship of Mahiru and Kiku as a foil to Nazuna and Kou. It was an unhealthy relationship built on obsessive desires and mutual codependence. They both desperately wanted to be loved. Kou and Nazuna, however, had a normal healthy relationship which progressed naturally into romance. For them, romance was something they found on their journey, rather than a destination that they fixated on.

If Kou and Nazuna had a lover's suicide at the end of the story, I believe it would call into question the narrative purpose of the entire Mahiru/Kiku arc, and I would be left wondering what Kotoyama was trying to say. That even healthy romance is impossible, if you have different enough needs?

@Eighty-six what do you think?

That's not really what R&L is about. There's a lot about how closely love is intertwined with violence, but its hard to say Shakespeare is ever tuttting and telling us "If only these two kids could just relax a little!"

The nature of love- its beauty and its danger- means they can't simply act more reasonably; they are consumed by it and the circumstances they are in- the adults around them equally consumed by their hate- makes their inevitable tragedy all too clear (there's a lot about fate as well).

I don't really think that's what Kotoyama is going for here- Kou and Nazuna seem to have developed a much cozier kind of love. Mahiru/Kiku perhaps, but Kiku's motivation and feelings were a lot muddier

Unfortunately the photographs (a moment of the past frozen in time) plus the comment about 10 years can pass and you'll still be friends, PLUS the artwork of grown up kou with piercings are all pointing to a shitty time skip. I hope I'm wrong. Timeskip is the laziest garbage ever
Requesting pic of adult kou

Dex-chan lover
Requesting pic of adult kou
here, made a "there were already signs" collage
WIdCkFd.jpg

Dex-chan lover
here, made a "there were already signs" collage
WIdCkFd.jpg
My bet still is Eighty-Six's theory that the whole manga is a flashback to a Kou who lost his memories after turning into a vampire, or something along those lines.
Edit: Thinking back, if he really became a vampire, then there would be no need for him to keep piercing his ear? Iirc he only does it to activate his powers...

Dex-chan lover
My bet still is Eighty-Six's theory that the whole manga is a flashback to a Kou who lost his memories after turning into a vampire, or something along those lines.
Edit: Thinking back, if he really became a vampire, then there would be no need for him to keep piercing his ear? Iirc he only does it to activate his powers...
I don't think the author is interested in kou becoming nazuna's underling. He's set two rules that point towards this:
1. Losing your memories
2. Underlings eventually leave the nest and abandon their vampire.
Kou has also stated that he doesn't want the unrequited love underlings have.

My personal guess... And I hope it's not true because it's so shit, I think this points more towards nazuna and kou separating for ten years and then reuniting. Kou can't turn into a half vampire anymore (earring has multiple piercings like it's become harder to turn). The photos play a part, and nazuna not being in any of them does too.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Wait, how did Nazuna knew where to rent a camp site if it was Kou's spontaneous idea to go to the beach in the first place?
Even if she just happened to spot it while there, is it even possible to just walk into a random campsite at night and have it rented out just like that?

Dex-chan lover
2mantYZ.png

Something about this panel, with all the context leading up to it, really strikes a chord with me. Probably my favorite panel in the entire manga tbqh.
It feels like an omen or something, reflecting and showing how alone he is gonna be at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread