Clandestine Affair - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - Was I Really Wrong?

Dex-chan lover
Shouldn't have taken this long to click (probably distracted by the art lol) but with the talk of taking over her body and "living a life that matters" I'm realizing "Butterfly Dream" is most likely a reference to Zhuangzi's self titled work, which tells of a man who dreamt he was a butterfly and became able to fly and do all sorts of things he couldn't as "Zhuang Zhou" the man.

Interestingly enough, there is not a consensus on the theme of this story. Some interpretations say it's a chaotic tragedy of fugue and identity loss, with Zhuang Zhou eventually losing his ability to understand if he's a man dreaming of being a butterfly,or a butterfly dreaming of being a man, and can no longer perceive his self.

The more I type that out the more I'm actually positive that dusty piece of required reading in philosophy class (yes I'm bitter) is the thematic inspiration for this series.

Also, and this is just my personal opinion, and native English speakers are free to correct me, but it's probably less weird to call her Miss or Lady Meng than "Butterfly Dream", even though nushi and xiaojie aren't used the raws. I used Meng instead of Die since the character for Meng was the specific inspiration for Zhuangzi

Shouldn't have taken this long to click (probably distracted by the art lol) but with the talk of taking over her body and "living a life that matters" I'm realizing "Butterfly Dream" is most likely a reference to Zhuangzi's self titled work, which tells of a man who dreamt he was a butterfly and became able to fly and do all sorts of things he couldn't as "Zhuang Zhou" the man.

Interestingly enough, there is not a consensus on the theme of this story. Some interpretations say it's a chaotic tragedy of fugue and identity loss, with Zhuang Zhou eventually losing his ability to understand if he's a man dreaming of being a butterfly,or a butterfly dreaming of being a man, and can no longer perceive his self.

The more I type that out the more I'm actually positive that dusty piece of required reading in philosophy class (yes I'm bitter) is the thematic inspiration for this series.

Also, and this is just my personal opinion, and native English speakers are free to correct me, but it's probably less weird to call her Miss or Lady Meng than "Butterfly Dream", even though nushi and xiaojie aren't used the raws. I used Meng instead of Die since the character for Meng was the specific inspiration for Zhuangzi
My class learn M.Butterfly though LOL. dk what related to but just want to share a good one for Gender Identity also base on true story

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
thanks for the translation and historical trivia!

most likely isnt going to lead to mirror sex but a girl can dream
Not with that attitude it won't!
It may not happen right away but the author is having too much fun playing with their reflections for there not to be a little suggestive mirror action in future.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Side note I love the way that Butterfly Dream plays with their glass boundary to create intimacy.
Also should we entertain the idea that Butterfly dean's name may be too literal? Yuetao having dreamed up a sexy mirror spirit to deal with her crippling loneliness hopefully doesn't end up in an attic.

Dex-chan lover
Side note I love the way that Butterfly Dream plays with their glass boundary to create intimacy.
Also should we entertain the idea that Butterfly dean's name may be too literal? Yuetao having dreamed up a sexy mirror spirit to deal with her crippling loneliness hopefully doesn't end up in an attic.
Author gives us an incredible 100+ chapter of the love of these two characters breaking through the boundaries of the physical and spiritual worlds just to end with her waking up in a hospital and them going lol ur mega schizo would be so fire

Supporter
Damn, this is gorgeous and tragic and just absolutely beautiful. I really hope it keeps going long enough to give these two a chance to find some kind of happiness.

Users who are viewing this thread