Company and Private Life -On and Off- - Vol. 1 Ch. 6.1

Dex-chan lover
Im confused tho
There's like
No indication that Punk Aki acts like a boy
So the Pronoun feels really wrong there tbh
As already mentioned here:
As a reminder, Japanese is great at being gender neutral, and the pronouns used are basically the translator's choice. Looking at the raws, there's no explicit mention of either character's gender (in this chapter; too lazy to go back and check other chapters). Each time a pronoun is used in the translation, the raws basically just use the character's name or has a dropped subject.
the genders in this translation are assumptions and may or may not be correct.

Supporter
I don’t think there’s any way that he thinks she’s a guy. Her voice alone should give it away, although it surely wouldn’t matter to him. Of anyone, he’d respect her wish to dress and act as they want.

Dex-chan lover
I don’t think there’s any way that he thinks she’s a guy. Her voice alone should give it away, although it surely wouldn’t matter to him. Of anyone, he’d respect her wish to dress and act as they want.
Voice training can let you get away with a lot of stuff to some degree, but that might be a little too far from simply looking cute like Amata wants.

Dex-chan lover
:facepalm: There's female VAs and even stage actors who mostly voice men. Some people sound fairly androgynous to begin with, and Aki's work personality is usually typed as lower-pitch culturally and in casting. Aki may not even be trying, she's just more masc, feels more masc in that androgynous look, and dropped the visual cues people latch onto.

For a yuri(er) case there's Mitsuki in The Guy She Was Interested In Wasn't A Guy At All or butch women misgendered near you. Kanade would need practice though.

Supporter
:facepalm: There's female VAs and even stage actors who mostly voice men. Some people sound fairly androgynous to begin with, and Aki's work personality is usually typed as lower-pitch culturally and in casting. Aki may not even be trying, she's just more masc, feels more masc in that androgynous look, and dropped the visual cues people latch onto.

For a yuri(er) case there's Mitsuki in The Guy She Was Interested In Wasn't A Guy At All or butch women misgendered near you. Kanade would need practice though.
The flaw on your logic is "he works with Aki yet he doesn't recognize the voice as her or as a female"
Aki isn't trying to look like the opposite gender, she has no reason to change tones, he has no reason to assume a familiar female voice is male, it's just nonsense to imply the he/him here

Dex-chan lover
The flaw on your logic is "he works with Aki yet he doesn't recognize the voice as her or as a female"
Aki isn't trying to look like the opposite gender, she has no reason to change tones, he has no reason to assume a familiar female voice is male, it's just nonsense to imply the he/him here
The MCs are not friends, family, nor close partners at work. Not everyone has a eidetic memory of voiceprints. So Aki has a less "familiar female voice" than Kanade's familiar mole. Whether or not Aki is seen as a male or any gender doesn't matter, she's two vastly different acquaintances from Kanade's perspective.

Fwiw vocal variation is bimodal/multimodal, androgynous-sounding people may get gendered by other cues, and people adapt their voice a lot depending on situation. Aki could even sound deeper when tough at work and lighter when chill Off, and still routinely get misgendered from other vocal, visual, and posture cues.

Dex-chan lover
I hope there isn't some big dramatic 'you lied to me' kinda thing lol. (other than coworkers knowing i prolly wouldn't try to hide it but i prolly also wouldn't go outta my way to interact with strangers either, or only go out in a 'change' with a friend or two)

Users who are viewing this thread