Damedol to Sekai ni Hitori Dake no Fan - Ch. 18 - Jumping Ship Pt2.

Dex-chan lover
You know what, I bet being in that room would be more heartwarming than awkward

Dex-chan lover
Oh she is broken poor girl. She is an idol, it seems she was seeing someone and told them they will be together forever and due to her practicing etc he got with someone else? So now she wants to test the bonds of others to break them to make her own situation feel better. Goddamn girl, get therapy

Dex-chan lover
My guess is the translator messed up.

Unlike in the West, where people count in units of thousands (1000), in Japan (and the rest of the Sinosphere), people count in units of ten thousands (10 000), so 800 000 is literally "eighty tenthousands" (80 0000). Maybe the translator confused the kanji for 1000 (千: sen) and 10 000 (万: man).
Bit of A, bit of B.
The original number was actually 8,000,000,000 (literally 80 100 millions, 80億) but I took off three zeros in the previous bubble because it was too long and wouldn't fit cleanly. Then when I was doing that second panel I reverted back to Japanese numerals and put 80 because it was right in front of me, then thousand (for some reason).

Long story short, I fucking hate how Japanese divide their zeros for new units. A new unit at 10,000 and then a new unit at 100,000,000. It's so confusing. Though at least it isn't as bad as French because that's an absolute shitshow.

Dex-chan lover
That selective hearing is a bitch eh? But it's moving us forward so let's go.

There's honor among Stan's and you just can't break that so easy. Good to see kimiya break her down like that.

Thanks for the chapter

Dex-chan lover
L E T S
F U C K I N G
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dex-chan lover
Bit of A, bit of B.
The original number was actually 8,000,000,000 (literally 80 100 millions, 80億) but I took off three zeros in the previous bubble because it was too long and wouldn't fit cleanly. Then when I was doing that second panel I reverted back to Japanese numerals and put 80 because it was right in front of me, then thousand (for some reason).

Long story short, I fucking hate how Japanese divide their zeros for new units. A new unit at 10,000 and then a new unit at 100,000,000. It's so confusing. Though at least it isn't as bad as French because that's an absolute shitshow.
Would you consider writing it out literally as "8 billion"? It's still relatively short and carries the same weight as the original (which is just around the population of the world, feels intentional). 80 thousand and 800 thousand feels a little weak in comparison.

btw love the scans, keep up the good work 👍

Users who are viewing this thread