Darwin Award Favorite Entries

Dex-chan lover
I recently read the 2020 winners and figured I post about the awards in general, in the unlikely event there was anyone else here who enjoyed them. I've also put down some samples incase it turns out to be your thing.

For people who don't know, it's a joke internet award for people like me, who have a dark sense of humor. Basically you have a chance of winning if you do something incredibly idiotic and die, or at become unable to reproduce. Because get it, you're a dumb ass, and you get an award for not passing down your inferior genes.

The Tagline is: "The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who accidentally remove themselves from it in a spectacular manner!"

The two I really like are 2018s the Wacky Welder:

"(3 September 2018, New Zealand) Sometimes the fastest method results in the deadliest outcome. The tale of Howard Miller, 39, professional welder and Darwin Award Winner, illustrates the pitfalls of ignoring high school chemistry with a time-saving invention.
Always helpful, Miller spent his last moments helping a friend weld an exhaust pipe onto a classic Holden Kingswood sedan. He arrived at the garage shed with an experimental welding kit: an LPG bottle, similar to a propane tank, in which he had mixed both components that make up oxy-acetylene welding gas: acetylene and oxygen.

Now, that last detail should send a shiver down any welder's spine! Professional welders know that these components are kept in separate tanks because, when combined, they burn hot enough to cut metal. A tank of mixed acetylene/oxygen + no flow regulator = an accident waiting to happen.

Like a scene from Breaking Bad, Mr. Miller had unwittingly constructed a lethal explosive!

Once Miller unveiled his jury-rigged device, his friend regognized this dangerous equation and repeatedly warned that it was crazy! Finally he high-tailed it out of the shed while Miller, undeterred by a bit of panic, attachec a torch head straight onto the bottle and lit the welding tip.

Sans regulator, the flame crept back into the bottle and the inevitable explosion flattened the shed, which also contained about twenty litres of paint thinner and gasoline. The force of the explosion was so intense it shattered the windows of neighboring properties.

Needless to say, the friend is in need a new car.

The deceased winner, a gentle and generous man, would surely be grateful to know that no one else was hurt in the fracas. And as a consolation prize, his tragic experiment will benefit others by demonstrating a potential consequence of skipping chemistry class."

And 1993s Lawyer Aloft:

"(1993, Toronto) Police said a lawyer demonstrating the safety of windows in a downtown Toronto skyscraper crashed through a pane of glass with his shoulder and plunged twenty-four floors to his death. A police spokesman said Garry, thirty-nine, fell into the courtyard of the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower as he was explaining the strength of the building's windows to visiting law students. Garry had previously conducted the demonstration of window strength without mishap, according to police reports. The managing partner of the law firm that employed the deceased told the Toronto Sun newspaper that Garry was "one of the best and brightest" members of the two-hundred-man association."

Dex-chan lover
I can't find a good link but

THE DEMON CORE AND THE SCREWDRIVER

Dex-chan lover
@Teddy you mean this?
https://youtu.be/6ZIjbX1gj88

joke aside: in paper, a scientific solution to not reenact "accidentally dropped a bomb into supercritical state" is indeed a screwdriver.

that's also a joke.

well, if demon core never happen, we might still do atomic bomb by hand and in zero distance.

Dex-chan lover
Not the video I expected. A more informative video about its history would be appreciated

Dex-chan lover
informative videos isn't my thing, i'd be sleeping if i watch 10 mins vid.
but if you insist, here's the best i can find: https://youtu.be/VE8FnsnWz48

well, i'll elaborate here, too, then.

The Demon Core Incident​
What in the god blessed world is a Demon Core
Originally called Rufus, Demon Core is a subcritical mass of plutonium, supposed to be fatman 2.0 or as you call it "Japan Extinction Bomb ver. 3". But never used because japan could only handle two.

to imagine what a Demon Core looks like: two half steel balls, but instead of steel its made of plutonium-gallium, and both halves is separated by a ring. its latter version opt two beryllium half spheres around the core with, what supposed to be a spacer, a screw driver.

to imagine what a Demon Core do: imagine your mother being pissed off, then you need to ask some pocket money to her. but instead of smacking, you got very lethal DoT for the rest of your life.

and, yeah, it also glows. blue light. beautifully.

The Incident
The Demon Core incident is actually two incidents, both involving a Demon Core and carelessness.

the first, 1945, happened when physicist Harry Daghlian trying to assemble a neutron repelling wall made of tungsten carbide brick. The incident happens because he accidentally drops a tungsten carbide brick onto the core, made it supercritcal. this incident slowly kills the physicist and a poor guard duty guy.

the next incident happened 9 month later, 1946, because physicist Louis Slotin was a mad ass. The physicist designed a pair of neutron reflector made of beryllium, separated by a carefully designed shims. The test was to slowly push the top beryllium sphere with a thumb, and is according to safety procedure. But being an ass, physicist Louis Slotin used his trusty screwdriver to make a space between the core set and the neutron reflector. the incident happened when he accidentally slips the screwdriver, making the core covered by beryllium then reaching supercritical state. at that time, the core glows blue and radiates him and 7 other people, slowly killing them.

that's all, i'll edit it if correction is needed.

Contributor
The reader comments on the site make it even better.

World Explorer or Christian Martyr? The most isolated tribe on Earth kills Selfie Seeker
Paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, arrow beats bible.
He wanted to introduce them to Jesus. Instead, they introduced him to Jesus.

Dex-chan lover
1000 ways to die used to have some of the funniest Darwin award recipients

Users who are viewing this thread