Delete and make a NOT UPLOAD list of Licensed manga (in the USA and other countries) :rejected:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN because it's a very important issue. especially if let's say you live in a country like Indonesia, which has VERY LIMITED availability of english mangas. you're more likely to see licensed Gramedia copies printed on cheap newspaper with ink that smudges off the moment your fingers get sweaty. so yeah, imported english prints are like a godsend for me since for once, the pages don't smudge and the paper is of good quality. the issue is, those english mangas are expensive as hell, and a lot are not found even in the biggest kinokuniya store in indonesia (eg: i haven't seen a copy of Gintama for years). so for a manga addict like me, online readers like dex are preety much the only way for me to read manga since i DON'T have the budget of one of those politicians...i still buy physicals whenever i can, but i never have enough money to buy them all...

@Wolvenworks
...copies printed on cheap newspaper with ink that smudges off the moment your fingers get sweaty.
*wheeze*
I can't help laughing and feeling sad when you say that sentence, because that is the exact condition of the licensed comic in Indonesia (oh, my country)

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@IchidoReichan
Looking over your comment history, it occurs to me that I've warned you before for breaking 5.1 and generally trolling. This thread is a low effort troll and I can't really justify giving you the benefit of the doubt of not knowing our rules considering our past interactions. Your last ban was for 2 days and I believe I said it would double with each subsequent infraction. If not, I'm saying it now.

Can you explain why you posted this thread if not to pick a fight?

Group Leader
I think OP needs to familiarize themselves more with how licenses work, even on a basic level. Because morality aside; regardless of what country a series is licensed in, the publishing company/distributor/localizer/etc, only licenses the right to translate/publish it in English (or other language), and the copyright that they own over their released version, not the Japanese raws themselves, nor the scanlations--that are based on the raws and not the official licensed version. There's huge distinction between the two.

The fairly comprehensive site rules already prohibits official licensed versions (with exceptions for defunct companies that lost the license), so that's already well covered.

As for being a target for DMCA/C+D letters/lawsuits...Yeah, well what's new? Water is wet? Before targeting this site, if companies were smart, they should first look at way waaay more popular (aggregator) sites that get far more traffic, who don't give a rat's ass about whether something is licensed or not. They are far larger than mangadex; especially as a whole, make more money, and a bigger problem for the industry than a site like this that actually promotes manga to be more popular, and encourages buying from official sources when available.

Without a site like this with the standards that it has, the manga industry in the west wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is today, with at least one publisher (I believe it was Tokyopop), even going so far as using scanlation sites to gauge popularity with what to license and release in the west...something I'm sure other companies do as well but are more reluctant to admit.

The short answer: This site already does not allow licensed work.

Contributor
obviously the OP has never heard of "fair use" and "Derivative work" which are fairly standard clauses in any copyright law.

Group Leader
@Infinityc0r3
Unless EU's draconian copyright laws like Article 11 and Article 13 gets fully passed which is already in the final stages, in which case...who knows what kind of pandemonium will result from the fallout....

I agree what Harry said.
Just like how the music industry works, to promote certain albums you can hear all of the samples on iTunes and others before buying it so you won't regret it. I always do that too.

Sites like this are actually useful. In long term, not only preview for 1 chapter only.
The question is whether the person has the awareness to support the author by buying his/her work or not.

But still the fact that this is the illegal way is true.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Infinityc0r3 posted:

obviously the OP has never heard of "fair use" and "Derivative work" which are fairly standard clauses in any copyright law.
There's no doctrine called fair use in the European Union copyright law, nor would it necessarily protect an unpermitted translation of a copyrighted work.

Banned
What I'm asking is not something that outrageous, just do series that are available only in Japan

* but it does accept fan scanlations of series, even if that series does happen to be licensed.*

and that's how we take away the minimum chance to move the economy in the right direction, with straight up piracy, when does it stop?.

- Allowed: scan the original Japanese Berserk volumes, do the translation/scanlation yourself, and then upload here
If it's licensed and Darkhorse comics have the digital official version available in their own website, Then is okay for me to keep pirating as long as "I do my own version?" isn't "my own version" the japanese script and translation owned by the same company?

- Allowed: scan the original Japanese Berserk volumes, translate the script from the Dark Horse volumes into a different language (e.g. Spanish, French, etc.), and then upload here

Berserk is licensed in Spanish countries, French and pretty much all Europe and Latin America.

So yes, those series are licensed, but the translations here are not the ones released by the licensors; they are the ones done by fans.
And the licensor gets screwed anyway, we all gonna get everything anyway, wow, pirate bay right here!! Demonoid has resurrected from the dead!!

It's worth noting that even if we did have a policy of not hosting any series that have been officially licensed, that would be very difficult to manage because there are lots of countries out there that all have different sets of manga licensed. Example: some of my favourite manga series has been licensed in French, but not in English. (-_-)

I really wanna agree with you here but it has been ridiculous the amount of piracy here and not a minimum way to stop it. Screw the "free world" you guys want for yourselves, you wanted a suggestion for your website and I came out with "make a blacklist" to promote people to get up their butts and SPEND MONEY on WHAT THEY LOVE. There are literally thousands of unlicensed titles around, an unknown manga that has been not that popular, to begin with, but incidentally, it is the hot titles that are in shelves, already translated, already with tv shows being simulcasted. One Punch man, Naruto, My Hero academia, berserk etc, etc, etc. Just quoting Coolio here "Tell me why are we so blind to see. That the ones we hurt are you and me?"

I do pirate, yes sir. But Baki was unlicensed when I started, the license was announced 7 months ago, so it was befitting me to quit and promote the official version that corrects everything that I messed on translation and STRAIGHT INVENTED DIALOGUE, you hear that? I made up a lot of things in the manga like Baki's birthday was my birthday and using real-life discussions that I had with my dad and verbatim planted them on the manga, it came amazing, people really like it. But I wasn't right to do that, I need to return somehow back to the licensors.

***We're all pirates here though, not gonna deny that.***

100% wholeheartedly agree with you on that, but I want my manga series to succeed, I wanna hear that the sales of my manga title are going well. But that's not gonna happen with "free pirate copies" around. NFL games are free to watch on TV with a bunch of advertisement but NFL fans buy stuff, make parties, move the economy somehow. But I know, you guys do what you want at the end of your day, is alright. I guess I'm the bad guy here now, if you don't like my suggestion of promoting a healthy manga market, then it won't happen, happy piratin, but guess what.....

I will always keep the manga economy healthy for my manga creators.

https://imgur.com/a/bdWnudu

Banned
@If both physical and digital versions of the manga are no longer available for sale, with proof of evidence that there's no other way to support the author officially anymore, we'll allow the uploading of official scans. Defunct companies are fine as well.

And yet the full Blade of the immortal and Berserk are available here, call me a hypocrite and I'll show you a mirror.

Staff
Super Moderator
@IchidoReichan
Man, you must be bored to troll like this.

Congratulations, you've earned a one month comment ban.

I know I originally said that your punishments would double, but quite frankly, I don't believe the lesson would stick unless it was for a greater amount of time. Maybe when you have comment privileges back, you'll learn how to be more subtle.

For those that might be wondering at the harshness of my judgement, keep in mind that this guy is preaching to support mangaka while hiding his Baki Dou chapters (if they even exist) behind a paywall. Thankfully another group is slowly catching up to him so he won't be able to peddle his wares on MD anymore.

@Zephyrus

Please just ban (IchidoReichan) or lock this thread already, his last 2 posts were literally troll posts where he said, I agree, but I don't agree just to make you all feel bad.

This entire thread has become completely pointless since NO ONE AGREES WITH HIM. He won't give up, everything he dug up was explained on page 1 posts of this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------
(To anyone who's interested, from page 1 explanation posts)

1) Lots of foreign readers here, do you expect us to check the manga licenses by country of origin? You paying Ichido Reichan? Then no thanks! That's expensive and borderline an invasion of privacy. What's next, we check your IP address and your address of residence? Sure okay, expect VPN and Tor browser to defeat those and make them pointless, bravo.

2) This site is for translator protection. The up loaders are responsible, but they prefer no moderator interference. What you request defeats the purpose of this very site because it takes control from up loaders and translator groups. No one will agree with you. . . . ever

3) You are complaining about Berserk and Blade of the Immortal, 2 of the most pirated manga in history. I have not found a single Pirate Manga site that doesn't have those 2. Taking it down from mangadex serves no purpose except your biased objective Ichido Reichan..

4) Ichido Reichan, you accuse us of hypocrisy while saying you agree, then you say we should feel bad. Really? No I don't feel bad, I think you're a jerk and a troll.

Staff
Super Moderator
@crazybars
He's been given a one month comment ban.

Actually, not a bad idea to lock the thread. Not fair to have him be comment banned an unable to defend how shitty his trolls are.

Edit on 12/4: After careful consideration and evidence provided by other users, staff has decided to permanently ban @IchidoReichan from commenting on MD. It's clear from past behavior that he will not stop or change his ways. Between having violated 5.1 multiple times over the past year and generally being a troll, which I have absolutely zero tolerance for, I have no reason to believe that Ichido will ever contribute positively to this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread