Don't Overlook the Reincarnated Granny - The Second Life of a Former Villainous Empress - Vol. 2 Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

A triple slash? N doing that manually/not a skill effect??
:dogewow:

Dex-chan lover
[Praying to the dead malefic spawn wolves that exist only to harm humans and other creatures]
...That was odd, even for a Japanese piece of media.

Double-page supporter
Ty for the chapter
meanwhile what I said before only took a few days to not age well

Dex-chan lover
[Praying to the dead malefic spawn wolves that exist only to harm humans and other creatures]
...That was odd, even for a Japanese piece of media.
For the Japanese, praying for the peaceful passing of a malevolent soul is part of the process. We call it exorcism, but I feel like it's a poor word choice because it's a bit more involved for the Japanese. For them, it's more like cutting whatever ties that soul to this world - either by resolving the cause or impetus of whatever grudge that they may hold, or simply just getting them to let it go - so that they can pass on to the next world. And in order to do so, they have a long ceremony that is performed by a Shinto priest.

Burying the carcasses and praying is just a quick and dirty version, but it's probably very much more fitting of lesser malevolent spirits like those wolves. But that Sword Wolf, though... I have a feeling we're gonna see the reason for it being there pretty soon. And as long as whatever that thing is gets resolved, then all should be well.

Other places we see this:
The first few minutes of Princess Mononoke, where the wise woman of the Imishi Tribe prays to the fallen boar god, promising a burial mound and funerary rights.

Also in the anime series, Katanagatari, where the protagonist's older sister had just lain waste to a ninja cell. Even though they were her enemies, she buries all of them, leaving grave markers on each of their mounds, and performs a small ceremony with incense.

Dex-chan lover
For the Japanese, praying for the peaceful passing of a malevolent soul is part of the process. We call it exorcism, but I feel like it's a poor word choice because it's a bit more involved for the Japanese. For them, it's more like cutting whatever ties that soul to this world - either by resolving the cause or impetus of whatever grudge that they may hold, or simply just getting them to let it go - so that they can pass on to the next world. And in order to do so, they have a long ceremony that is performed by a Shinto priest.

Burying the carcasses and praying is just a quick and dirty version, but it's probably very much more fitting of lesser malevolent spirits like those wolves. But that Sword Wolf, though... I have a feeling we're gonna see the reason for it being there pretty soon. And as long as whatever that thing is gets resolved, then all should be well.

Other places we see this:
The first few minutes of Princess Mononoke, where the wise woman of the Imishi Tribe prays to the fallen boar god, promising a burial mound and funerary rights.

Also in the anime series, Katanagatari, where the protagonist's older sister had just lain waste to a ninja cell. Even though they were her enemies, she buries all of them, leaving grave markers on each of their mounds, and performs a small ceremony with incense.

...I mean, they were killing wolves. I've seen more isekai shit than I can actually remember (and that's not hyperbole) with literally hundreds of MCs killing every manner of dangerous wildlife and... I can't think very many examples where they do this.

Contributor
Is there even a point to doing this? The actual official English translation is at chapter 15.

Users who are viewing this thread