Easy Going Scans Hacked

Double-page supporter
So this happened 2 weeks ago but as I don't follow them i just got wind of it (and as Mangadex doesn't have a search forum option I don't know if this was posted already)

To keep things short, EGS page was hacked using a zero day exploit and ALL the translations that they've made over their entire existence were deleted, a huge lost for the manga community.
which also brings the question that if they had uploaded all their catalog to Mangadex there would be a secure backup from where they could recover right?

so what are your thoughts in this topic guys? does any of you have any of you have a backup of some of their series? how could we help?
sincerly my condolences to to the group and I hope they can recover what they lost.

Yes, it has been discussed before.
so what are your thoughts in this topic guys? does any of you have any of you have a backup of some of their series? how could we help?
Same as this one. Iirc the conclusion is that unless you have a trove of their work somewhere (which appeared to be not the case) then it's gone.

which also brings the question that if they had uploaded all their catalog to Mangadex there would be a secure backup from where they could recover right?
Don't be that person please. What happened happened. No need to bring what ifs and drama to an unfortunate event.

Contributor
so what are your thoughts in this topic guys? does any of you have any of you have a backup of some of their series?
Well, shoulda gotten a separate back-up i guess, but that's kinda overkill tbh, how the hell can you expect a zero day exploit.

how could we help?
Either don't be the guy that does destructive actions with a zero day exploit or be a really proficient security guy that can find those exploits before the bad guys does aka you can't really do poop

if they had uploaded all their catalog to Mangadex there would be a secure backup from where they could recover right?
No, as @shouldsleep said, don't be that person... Besides you can't upload all your psd files on Mangadex, it's not a personal cloud server... You can never expect a zero day cuz it's.. well... a zero day exploit... Secure means nothing on those attacks, I mean see a few years back on that eternalblue exploit with wannacry... nobody expected that. not that windows is famous for it's security but i digress

Dex-chan lover
Can someone explain to a pleb like me what these chuunibyo-sounding exploits mean please?

Also can we raise funds to rent a whitehat hacker to find security holes to improve the site integrity? This sounds really horrible.

Contributor
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Well, first of all an exploit is when there's a vulnerability in a system (could be in a software or hardware) and someone uses that vulnerability for some stuffs (could be good, could be bad)
Example: You've made a nice wall from paper and you've placed your waifu within the walls. But hey! Paper is not really durable and it can tear easy, everyone knows that... Now that's a vulnerability! I can either tear that wall and take your waifu (exploit it) or i can just ignore that fact that it's tearable and just admire your waifu from a distance. To fix this vulnerability, you can use something else like bricks! Now that's a patch in your waifu security!

But what about if no one knew that paper is tearable cuz no one tried to tear it? And someone just randomly found out that it's tearable by tripping on it? That guy found it out recently and never told anyone that paper is tearable, that's a zero day vulnerability. No one knew about it so no one fixed the vulnerability. So your waifu is in danger, but you don't know it! If that guy uses that knowledge and tears down your wall and steals your waifu, that's a zero day attack.

Edit:
I just fcking realised that you meant the exploit and not "exploit" itself...
Basically a few years ago there was a ransomware that went global and spread like the plague on steroids, cuz it targeted all windows systems that were not updated for eeeh a month or 3. AKA a shit ton of machines ranging from personal computers to medical equipments and parking ticket machines. That ransomware used one of the many exploits called eternalblue and it was made by NSA and some bigshot hackers stole it from them and sold it in the deep dark web. It was quite a big deal and sprouted a lot of controversies tbh
Now that I've explained it, eternalblue wasn't a zero day exploit, so it was a horrible example... Oh well

Double-page supporter
@pika understood, I was looking for the other post but couldn't find them, I just got to know about the hack because I was reading Gunka no baltzar, A similar hack happened to a Spanish scanlation group a couple of years back, fortunately one of it's members made regular backups on his GDrive

Contributor
Definitely bad news. But find it strange they had no backup of any. They do a lot, so I don't expect anything but something surely.

Dex-chan lover
Damn this is some bad news alright. Hope everything works out for them in the end.

Well, maybe all those pirate sites will be good for something after all~

Is there a full list of the series they'be worked on? I've got a pretty large collection tucked on a drive, I know I've got at least some of their releases at least but I might have more.

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN @shouldsleep They use Wordpress and Wordpress is responsible for finding bugs/holes. (EDIT: Then again, the hacker(s) could have gotten through MySQL, or something.) I'm guessing they're going to making like Nintendo and take files from the web they didn't want uploaded to.

Group Leader
@Darkaeluz
If they really had no backups, then their best bets are either asking if their fans saved copies, or using a manga downloading app and finding the aggregator site that posts the least reduced quality versions of their chapters.

Miku best girl
Admin
Everything that they have uploaded to MD remain on MD (in the bin or otherwise).

I contacted them already and offered them their chapters but it seems they have the situation under control.

On the topic of the zero day exploit, I guess it is always a risk when using third party scripts like vbulletin.

Dex-chan lover
Why would they hack them just to delete uploads? for laughs or something? They must've been really bored.

For every person that has a reason like money or revenge there is a person that only does it because they can or they want to screw with someone. There's a lot of people like that.

Users who are viewing this thread