Eyeshield 21 - Vol. 3 Ch. 18 - The World of the Speed of Light

Dex-chan lover
Sakuraba projecting on to Sena his insecurites...hes being led away from what i would guess is his true passion, football, by factors like his career as an idol and overall celeb
there was a parallel between him and Sena made when we saw them both, sena with his note to leave and Sakuraba with that promotional sticker. both seem to represent an insecurity, an obstacle. for Sena it is his fear of getting hurt, of pain, something he has run from for so long, and for Sakuraba, it is other career and the obligations/pressures he experiences from it, his fans, managers, sponsors etc. the major difference is that Sena faces his fear/insecurity; Sakuraba doesn't
we see in Sakuraba's immense despair in his sitting panel, he feels chained by his other career, like he is unable to overcome the burden he carries. he projects this despair and dissatisfaction with his situation on sena, telling him to just give up in the face of an "unbeatable" opponent like Shin. Sakuraba is also clearly very envious of Shin, who is clearly more skilled than him and resents the fact he gets more attention than his teams "real" ace. He is resigned to these things, the idea that he can't solely pursue football and that Shin is inherently better than him and there is nothing to do to rectify it
he is in opposition to Sena, who too harbors fear and insecurity. we see him however push that fear aside to return to the field as eyeshield 21, even more than just OVERCOMING his fear, he is improving as well, which is shocking to Shin and Sakuraba.
where Sakuraba is stagnant and resigned to his flaws, sena is trying to actively overcome them and accept himself
LOL if i remember correctly Sakuraba will actually quit being an idol to dedicate himself to football and starts doing it with his 100%...awesome to be more cognizant of his mindset this reread and see how he improves

this is best reflected by the scene in this chapter where Sakuraba's promotional sticker falls onto the field. he as a football player, most definitely knows better than to go out on the field to grab it in the middle of the play, but he still does. this is symbolic of his lack of dedication to football--he's working hard yes, but not as hard as he can (also reflected when we see his team practicing, his remark to Shin about being "the best as always," and the huge disparity between their weights seems to indicate while Sakuraba may be "naturally" below Shin, he is not even trying to improve, this is also just my own conjecture about weightlifting with no personal experience, but something tells me Sakuraba could lift more if he gave it his all)
ANYWAYS this running out to the field shows him resigning himself to the obligations of his "other career." before he tries to comment the sticker probably shouldnt be there, but here instead of a soft rejection of the ideals of his manager/agent/whatever, he REAFFIRMS them. he actively places his safety/football career below his career as a idol/celebrity. this makes it even more impactful that he is hurt by Sena. Sena is more than just his parallel, he is a foil, a character with similar ideals and motivations. as his foil, in opposition to Sakuraba's BAD alignment to his passion (not dedicating himself fully, being stagnant/idle in improving his skills, accepting he will never be better than Shin), Sena is GOOD at dedicating himself to his passion (staying true to it). despite Shin's overwhelming skill, Sena is still pushing himself to do his best and better yet, is getting better and better each time. Unlike Sakuraba, Sena is trying his hardest DESPITE his fear and is made better for it. Sakuraba unwilling to accept his fear and insecurity and do his best regardless is chained by them. He most literally has resigned himself to the fact that he will never improve

I am a little confused whether as to him being envious of Shin/his idol careers have equal footing in his reasons for placing his idol career over football/not dedicating himself fully. I would like to think that his absorption into his idol career is a result of his belief he will never improve/be as good as Shin, rather than a separate reason in itself. This belief likely caused him to spiral further into his idol career as he gave less stake to football in his future. As I'm writing it out, I'm almost sure his inferiority complex in relation to Shin is the major cause of his lack of dedication/drive to improve and his further alignment to his idol career is a consequence of such rather than an indication of his passion for such.

TDLR: Sakuraba's running onto the field to get his sticker and being tackled by Sena is representative of the two's dedication to football. Sena, despite being insecure, is trying his best and Sakuraba, insecure as well, is stagnant and unwilling to try to improve. As a result, when he rushes onto the field for the STICKER, a metaphorical representation of him placing his career as an idol over his football career (because he believes he can't improve/Shin will always be better than him), he is defeated by Sena; a person who acts in spite of their fears rather than qutting because of them.

I like this manga too much 🤓

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread