Far East Chimera - Ch. 13 - First-Rate Hunter

Dex-chan lover
Great chapter, thank you very much for the scanlation.

Many things were well estabilished with this arc, very interesting! Apparently the humanoid chimaeras will all be shapeshifters in some way, with habitat linked theme. It's actually very lucky for our protagonists that this one in particular was arrogant enough to pick a fight with them outside of the space where they can show their true strengths, imagine the nightmare it would be to face her/them in the water? Though considering how deadly and debilitating her/their poison is, even with everything else, it makes sense she was so confident. Got screwed by having Yuri as her opponent though, Linryuu as well.

I don't usually like blatant exposition through dialogue, but so far this manga has done a good job with it. This time, when the thematic exposition comes from an enemy who's trying to analyse their own situation and trying to devise a plan, while seeing how screwed they are, until they're finally caught by surprise (nice setup with the single panel of Linryuu falling down on the sea), worked very well for me.

The only negative thing I'd say is, that it'd be nice if Solso had to defend or deflect one or two attacks from the chimaera to protect the non-combatants, seeing he didn't get any action made that aspect of the scene a bit forgettable. Though there is a point in that he did his job to the latter, but since that happened in him being off-screen while doing it, it was not shown, so it felt a bit hollow to me, though he did what he was asked and with no deviation. Tiny complaint, absolutely tiny considering how much I'm enjoying this story and art so far.

Oh and that eyeball thing in the end is the same thing that chimaera planted on Yuri at the beginning. I wonder if it can be used to manipulate the one in which it was planted on.

Dex-chan lover
I really like this mix of mystery and ambiguous powers. The abilities of the enemies are relatively understandable despite no exposition at all, and there's a strong emphasis on pure technique.

I really like this mix of mystery and ambiguous powers. The abilities of the enemies are relatively understandable despite no exposition at all, and there's a strong emphasis on pure technique.
This is because the chimera ability come from the animal they absorbed. We can easily understand what kind of ability they have by their transformation like jellyfish's poison, clam shell defense, etc.

Dex-chan lover
I sure hope fmc doesn't become the key for that white hair humanoid chimera to "achieve heaven" or something. Seen so many shounen manga with that trope.

Since this manga was fresh in a way consider how fmc doesn't start out as a "normal" person or become a "special" person after gaining power (since she doesn't use the actual chimera power, just body strengthening and regeneration).

Hope author will expand more on this style.

Dex-chan lover
So was that a random seed(?) or did that come from the chimera they just fought.

Dex-chan lover
Look at me and tell me this doesn't remind you of Hell 's Paradise

Users who are viewing this thread