Fool Night - Vol. 5 Ch. 39 - Leave The Train

Dex-chan lover
In many horrifying events like the Holocaust, it’s the ordinary people that are “just doing their jobs” that build the path to evil, not just the few strongmen. Even in modern society, we are all complicit in the power structures that let us live how we do. And most of us won’t get off the train either.

And we don’t even give obscene amounts of money to the people we exploit to death.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the TL. The contrast between the fan-servicey buttshot and the utter grimness of the current situation is pretty stark. Interesting artistic choice.
It has me torn. On the one hand, buttshots are often used as a means of gratuitous erotic fanservice even in fiction where the genre or focus would make it seem out of place. On the other hand, there shouldn't be anything inherently gratuitous about a human butt.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL. The contrast between the fan-servicey buttshot and the utter grimness of the current situation is pretty stark. Interesting artistic choice.
Heh, I also noticed it and thought "nice butt!", especially compared with her text bubble full of protective determination it felt kinda funny. Still, I don't care, it's the tall bodyguard lady with constant cat-like smile for me.

Dex-chan lover
I like that on a very micro level, whats at stake is: if this horrible government entity is downsized, this man you have known since you were children will spend the rest of his currently very short life in a miserable living situation. That's literally all. It's not a Broad Desire To Do Good To The Society they're in. That's too big to scope up on; and it's not her motivation.

But saving him might actually require at least shifting this Other, bigger problem.

Funny thing is, I feel like people are more heroic then they think they are. If push comes to shove, and you see something bad happening. Sometimes you just move.

Dex-chan lover
I like that on a very micro level, whats at stake is: if this horrible government entity is downsized, this man you have known since you were children will spend the rest of his currently very short life in a miserable living situation. That's literally all. It's not a Broad Desire To Do Good To The Society they're in. That's too big to scope up on; and it's not her motivation.

But saving him might actually require at least shifting this Other, bigger problem.

Funny thing is, I feel like people are more heroic then they think they are. If push comes to shove, and you see something bad happening. Sometimes you just move.
I think the bystander effect is 100 times stronger in Japan, plus they have the shinkansen so getting of from that ride may be more difficult :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover
I think the bystander effect is 100 times stronger in Japan, plus they have the shinkansen so getting of from that ride may be more difficult :dogkek:

I can't speak to japan's specific culture! I will absolutely admit I do not have the sociological info for that, I am just Some Fuckin Nerd.

But funny thing is in the US, the infamous case 'Bystander Effect' was based off has always been misrepresented. It's an interesting read! Still dark tho.

I like that on a very micro level, whats at stake is: if this horrible government entity is downsized, this man you have known since you were children will spend the rest of his currently very short life in a miserable living situation.
This doesn't make all that much sense to me - if she cares about him that much, surely housing and feeding him for two years wouldn't be all that troublesome? Though my view may be colored by the fact that I'm kind of suspicious of her.

It's been bugging me as I binged this, but I just went back to chapter 1 and the style is definitely more... moe now. It's still very good art, but it's noticeably changed.

Dex-chan lover
This doesn't make all that much sense to me - if she cares about him that much, surely housing and feeding him for two years wouldn't be all that troublesome? Though my view may be colored by the fact that I'm kind of suspicious of her.

It's been bugging me as I binged this, but I just went back to chapter 1 and the style is definitely more... moe now. It's still very good art, but it's noticeably changed.

Don't forget about the oxygen tax and how high it is. Her incomes not high enough to make her rich; it's enough for her as a single person to live comfortably. You're probably right, and she probably could support them both.... but its very possible not while also paying the oxygen tax for both of them. Let alone whatever debts might still be built up from his mom.

Don't forget about the oxygen tax and how high it is. Her incomes not high enough to make her rich; it's enough for her as a single person to live comfortably. You're probably right, and she probably could support them both.... but its very possible not while also paying the oxygen tax for both of them. Let alone whatever debts might still be built up from his mom.
Might be so, but the figures we got for the tax weren't quite that exorbitant. It's a bit of a fruitless debate without more information, but what the heck. In Chapter 1, Toushiro lists his taxes at 15,000 Yen per month. His other expenses - rent, utilities, and his mother's medicine - total to 55,000. So, even if she took on all of these, she's only shouldering 70,000 Yen additional per month. Add on 30,000 for his food and it's a round 100,000 per month. Considering the median salary in Japan today is ~450,000 Yen and she's noted to be well off (ie earning above the median), that's more than doable. And that's handling every single one of his possible expenses. I'm not even sure his mother is still alive; if not, you could cut that in half to 50,000.

All that to say, I don't think it's reasonable to say she can't materially support him. She's certainly not obligated to do so, but she can, without even taking on debt. And if she is so desparate to protect him, I wonder why she wouldn't. Hopefully the answer isn't that the author didn't think of it or that they're playing fast and loose with the numbers. But I suppose we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread